Author Topic: Disc Brakes  (Read 4469 times)

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
Disc Brakes
« on: August 05, 2015, 09:43:29 PM »
Dear friends I need your help.

I am writing an article about disc brakes and I am struggling to find what were the first three microcars that used disc brakes for their front wheels.

From your vast knowledge of owning every model of microcar there have ever been, I hope that one of you can steer me in the right direction.

So far I have found only one dating back to 1957, but there must be others in the 1960's and 70's or later.

Thinking caps on guys

Chris Thomas
Rumcar News

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
Re: Disc Brakes
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 02:15:14 AM »
I submit the 1949 Crosley:

citation   8)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 08:19:16 AM »
^ 1950 according to this Wiki article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_brake

I had no idea that Disc brakes originated in 1890, but did know that the 1902 Lanchester was the first to use them.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 08:50:46 AM »
Dear Jim
Many thanks for the 1949 Crosley Hot Shot (they don't name cars like that any more). Unfortunately the Crosley engine is 724 cc which under UK microcar definition is not a microcar, but is according to US definition. It is a shame that within  6 months they were all converted back to drum brakes. A good try none the less.

Keep them coming. Remember I am asking for the first 3.

Chris Thomas
Rumcar News

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 08:53:27 AM »
Marcus , easy to forget on this site but we are talking microcars and generally post war aren't we ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 10:03:33 AM »
That's easy Chris, Alan Evan's Bamby from 1983, a true British microcar in every sense  ;D

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 11:23:44 AM »
Richard, I think the Hot Shot (mentioned in the Wiki article) may be beyond UK's definition because of its engine size, but is still "Rare" and "Unusual" enough to be included!

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 12:23:35 PM »
The Bambi is a fairly recent microcar, surely there must have been some earlier than that, perhaps a German or Japanese vehicle.

Have no fear the Crosley will be included

Chris Thomas
Rumcar News

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 04:02:38 PM »
The Norsja will beat the Bamby. Cannot date the use of disc, but by E reg they were on there, all round. I would plump for the change to Sachs engines, but it might have been an original feature going back into the '50's.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 04:54:16 PM »
Dear Al

Thanks for that I will do some digging on that one.

Chris Thomas
Rumcar News

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 05:44:24 PM »
Dear Al

Cable operated disc brakes on all three wheels!!! They look very strange. Did the cable holders both move on a hinge pushing the pad onto the disc? or how did it work?

Chris Thomas
Rumcar news

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 05:50:47 PM »
I am with the Crosley myself it's micro for me , Marcus it was you that brought up 1950 , 1890 and 1902 not me  :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 06:06:40 PM »
All's well, I just thought that the history of Disc Brakes, and how long it took for them to be made reliable enough is fascinating reading! IIRC the Crosley was featured in RCN quite a while ago.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 07:22:51 PM »
I like the Norska brakes. They actually lift off the disc when working correctly. No friction. The one here had  a slight problem with one wheel and I never got it totally loose and supple. With 50cc you need every thimble full of power. Its really two levers in a frame. The cable working both levers, so the whole thing has to be able to move. Stuarts item should have the date they were refreshed. I think it was around 1965.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs