Author Topic: Wheelerdealers KR200  (Read 9808 times)

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
Re: Wheelerdealers KR200
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 12:09:37 PM »
Sadly not. The car was sold in the mid-sixties, to be replaced by a Renault Dauphine, which apparently dissolved into rust as you stared at it!

The next  owner got t-boned in it (probably not  the best car to take a side shunt in) and the car was written off and scrapped. Registration was RYN 726.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2015, 12:16:20 PM »
Oh Dear.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2015, 12:18:30 PM »
Despite having lived and worked in USA, I still don't know what "T Boned" means ! Hope occupants were alright.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 12:53:56 PM »
Ditto Marcus , on both counts ( not the USA bit )
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 01:07:39 PM »
Glad I'm not the only one!

We now have English, Singlish (in Singapore and other parts of Asia) and American, and half the population of UK uses half English/half American, the British Broadcasting Corporation and other UK broadcasters now use "Dollars" as the standard currency even when talking about UK ! Bonkers in the nut !

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2015, 01:24:33 PM »
Is the expression American then ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 01:33:21 PM »
Must be, they always go on about "T Bone Steaks" so I suppose a "T Bone" accident must be when a cattle truck empties its load onto a car !

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2015, 02:44:47 PM »
T-Boning occurs when one vehicle hits the side of another, forming a letter 'T'.

So far so good - but the Mercans like talking about steak (and, for some reason, bottoms) so hence the meat reference ...

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2015, 02:53:25 PM »
Makes sense!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2015, 09:17:48 AM »
Trafalgar, dear boy.

In Naval battles ships of the line would sail parallel and blow the crap out of each other, as the majority of guns were mounted broadside. If, however, your line could sail across the front of the other's line, all your guns can come to bare, while the opposition has very few guns that can fire at anything important. Its called crossing the T ('Do not cross me'). Much of our phrases and slang come from the sea and Navy, as we were, and should still be, a seafaring nation.

Of course Trafalgar, Napoleonic war, was actually proof that superior seamanship, and fire rate and accuracy, overcomes being crossed. Nelson gambled right, the Spanish and French in Bonny's fleet were unprepared. He accepted that initially the British fleet would sustain unanswered damage, but not significant enough to prevent his less numerous, but better handled ships singling out victims to despatch from battle, before moving on to another, and before the enemy could react in a co ordinated way. Thus against the accepted basic tactics of the day and for the first time, allegedly, this tactic had been accomplished to victory. Napoleon's representatives got 'T boned' by the much better prepared Brits, who proved they were masters of the seas and condemning France to isolation in Europe with the Pax Britannia, strangling her to defeat. T boned almost ranks with the V sign to a Frenchman.

Move on to WW1 and its clear the Brits then forgot that gunnery is the winning element, as despite completely out manoeuvring the German fleet at Jutland, crossing their T twice, German gunnery was far better. So we lost, save that the German's had such a fright, they never came out again, allowing us Brits to claim victory with ships clearly defective in armour and isolation design. The Pax Britannia continued. But we were 'T boned' by our own inefficiency. That we were lucky the German fleet did not press home an attack in WW1 is somewhat proved by the Hood. Laid down in 1916. It was built to the same ideals of Admiral Fisher and was flagship and darling of the fleet. But out of date Hood succumbed very quickly to the much more capable Bismarck in a fashion very similar to Jutland, save both the penetrating shell, and the resulting magazine explosions were bigger, and tore here in half. She went down so fast that the last front broadside she fired was as the bow was sliding under at a considerable angle to the correct waterline. 3 Survivors. Around this time the batton moved to Pax America at sea. Currently they still hold this position, but new contenders are forming up. 

Naval war is brutal. So is a T bone car crash, whomsoever the aggressive party was, both suffer damage. A T bone was a victory, but it is recognised as hurting all. It does, therefore describe a car collision of that type really rather well. But I despair of our education system not passing on something so fundamentally British. Its why we diminish as a nation.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 09:46:08 AM by Big Al »
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2015, 10:01:47 AM »
Hood and her ilk were battle cruisers which had less armoured decks etc for speed as were the battle cruisers we lost at Jutland
It was a different story with the battleships of the line which after returning to Scapa for patching and refuelling were ready to go again very quickly the German fleet was not as it had significant damage and never ventured out again
Warspite alone was hit by 150 shells at Jutland
Bismark was disabled by a swordfish with a torpedo so that's not so clever either
as for America most aircraft carrier technology is British and we are not big enough to compete anymore
I know this is off topic but I hate to read the rubbish above
1952 B minitruck 1957 Isetta bubble

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2015, 12:25:04 PM »
I would guess like the cut of meat itself, a T-bone crash has to be american slang in origin, certainly the term has been common use in stunt work since the 1940s and the OED cites the earliest reference to the steak in 1916.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2015, 12:43:26 PM »
I apologies for offering peer written facts in a shortened form to suggest where the phrase 'T boned' came from.

The battleships were not in the right position to be effective at Jutland, nor when they had the chance was their gunnery in the same class as the Germans. 150 hits says it all really. The Battle Criusers failed, yes. That is the point. Plus they had to perform as battleships, as the main fleet messed up. The Germans won on points, though they did not realize it at the time. They suffered loss of damaged ships pursued, that the British did not, chalking up ship sunk. That was because they cut and run. If the position was reversed would the damaged British ships made port?
Why were we still using Battle Cruisers in WW2? You do realise that Prinz Eugen was probably capable of dispatching Hood on her own. Yet the Navy were stunned at the loss of Hood. Hindsight shows it was predictable, even if it had not been such a numbingly bad sinking. The other older ships faired little better when pressed.

Of course the Fleet was refitted post haste. We were strangling Germany of supplies by blockading shipping. It was our best way of shortening the war! It was ever the British tactic having got sea supremacy, to keep it. That is what Pax Britannia means. Are you suggesting the German fleet was more damaged? I think you will find that politically the will was not there to re fit and have another go. The effort went elsewhere, on land, and the U boat threat was reaping some reward. Jutland was a victory, in the same way that Dunkirk was. It was an error to press home a victory by the other side. It could have been a lot worse. But if you want to believe we won the battle, carry on, your in very good company. What is important is we won the war at sea, that helped to win the war in total.

Bismarck was as out of date as all the Battleships of WW2. Yes, an aeroplane caused her sinking. How many capitol ships were sunk without aircraft involvement in WW2? Now deduct the submarine kills. Yes, very few slugged it out to the death on their own. The Aircraft carrier had become the capitol ship without most people realising it. Again the Admiralty failed to get it and lost Prince of Wales and, I think, Repulse, in a bone headed charge to Singapore. For all Bismarck's might, she should have been an aircraft carrier. Bloody lucky she wasn't! Precedence set, air superiority became more important than sea supremacy. All tactics change.

So doubly daft old Brits. Lead the world in operating aircraft from ships, but failed to understand what that meant tacticly. Much the same as Blitzkrieg was put forward as a tactic in Britain, see J.F.C.Fuller, before Germany took it up. Even then they nearly bottled it at Sedan. It was only because Guderian, who fully understood Blitzkrieg, ignored his orders to halt, and broke out, that the western front saw the spectacular race to the channel. Here you had a leader who backed his advantage against orders, not for the last time either, he was one of Germany's best Generals. Had Germany had a Nelson or Drake at Jutland it might be we would have a very different outcome. As it is Hitler whipped his Generals back in line by keeping them out of Dunkirk for days. The very days he could have knocked Britain out of the War. Crucial as Jutland, as it was one of the deciding factors on ultimately who one huge wars. In both cases a victory lost.

Still without all that I would not have my Schmitts, Hienkels and Goggos. Though some will argue that Bonds are better. At least I know they are not rubbish.

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2015, 01:21:09 PM »
We may have lost Jutland very much a debatable point but the Germans never came out again so whether there ships were hit or not means they were running scared
The U boat threat was there but again once the aeroplane and convoy system kicked in it was all but finished
Prinz Augen may have fired the shot nobody is certain which ship actually delivered the fatal blow
Anyway back to the micros
Agree with the last comment and again how do you work out which is better numbers sold? Which puts the Isetta miles ahead of all other three do not know much about Goggo's
1952 B minitruck 1957 Isetta bubble

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2015, 03:20:51 PM »
Goggo, that is the 250/300/400, surprisingly managed 278,000 odd units. That places them as very successful in sales terms. Not so popular now.

I like Bonds for there uniqueness, and that they defy looks, being very capable things within their designed parameters. I would never say they were a bad car, there are plenty worse. If they had been rare, I think folk would have fought for them early on. Now there are more folk recognising what an unusual creation they are, prices go up. They are brilliantly individual, just not for me.