Author Topic: LED bulbs  (Read 16382 times)

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
Re: LED bulbs
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2015, 10:55:17 PM »
You mean I should go in without my monocle?

Leaving off the cravat and plus fours may help as well.

My comment was based on my belief that the vast majority of LED bulbs are fitted by those who consider the colour temperature to be really fashionable, particularly amongst the fraternity in McDonalds' car parks, where very few plus fours are seen.

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2015, 10:42:39 PM »
I've been playing around with a couple of LEDs , this is an example of 3 extra bright LEDs

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2015, 10:45:27 PM »
Showing A brake light  but meant to be for indicators

1bubble10 (paul smith)

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2015, 08:07:02 AM »
Take it that you are aware that automotive lights have to achieve a stated level of lumens - not sure what these values are though.
Bamby P50, Piaggio Ape 50

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2015, 09:26:12 AM »
Low wattage tungsten filament lamps produce about 10-12 lumens per watt, and that's when they're new and in tip top condition. As they age and the envelopes black-up, that efficiency drops further.

Most running lamps tend to be about 6 watts, with brake and indicator lights at 21 watts. LED running lights operate at about 1 watt, with brake and indicator lights operating at about 3 watts.

1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2015, 09:46:53 AM »
Take it that you are aware that automotive lights have to achieve a stated level of lumens - not sure what these values are though.

I'm guessing that this is for newer vehicles?  I know that my 1951 Bond was originally fitted with one rear lamp (sharing its glow between the red rear lens and lighting the number plate) that had a bulb of 3W.  And the lens pointed more upward than backward!

I took it for MoT, when I first got it in 2009 - still with no indicators, no brakelight, and no dip to the headlamps.  I showed the guy the original circuit diagram, and he passed it.

(And no, it isn't like that now: for my own safety, it has three tail lamps, a brake light, and flashers.)

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2015, 02:16:53 PM »
My bro does normal car mots and I just asked him about lights , he said there's nothing to actually test the light amount really part from beam angle in head lights , if they look about right they won't be questioned, I will give it ago see what happens

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2015, 10:41:15 PM »
That was based on my Isetta and my mini. Clearly the Bond had a very low wattage lamp. So you can get away with low power LEDs.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 10:51:23 AM by AndyL »
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2015, 08:29:31 AM »
If an array saying Go Away, or something similar, used the same as standard rear lights, I think I would be happy. Rig up a photo electric cell so that it automates to come on when one of the dazzlers turns up. I think my bud is right. Its time to get tinted specs to drive at night to cut down on the dazzle.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2015, 01:33:26 PM »
I know that my 1951 Bond was originally fitted with one rear lamp (sharing its glow between the red rear lens and lighting the number plate) that had a bulb of 3W.  And the lens pointed more upward than backward!

as light travel's in straight lines this should make no difference to the sharing of the glow , however human eyes might be drawn towards the brighter part - in this case the number plate , like walking into the cinema from the daylight your eyes become focus on the screen .

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2015, 08:09:13 PM »
If you're aiming to reproduce the luminence of a 3 watt led with normal 3 or 5mm, I would look at putting in about eight LED's.

Three LED's is too few IMO.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2016, 09:12:26 PM »
I thought this may be of interest. I found these tonight, and they appear to be fairly new- BPF fitting LED for dip and main beam. Standard swap around, dead easy to fit. Not terribly cheap at about £48 for a pair, but if you need those spare watts....

http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/led-headlamp-bulbs-shop.php
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.