Author Topic: A new Deutsche Kleinwagen ?  (Read 3743 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
A new Deutsche Kleinwagen ?
« on: August 23, 2015, 04:59:53 PM »
A book by the title Deutsche Kleinwagen by Hanns Peter Rosellen has long been I think the definitive book on German Micros - but I recently saw this book on the net with the same title ! Is this book totally different or a selection from the former , does anyone know please ? Surely the similarity in the name of the writer and title won't be coincidental ? Actually just realised that none of the cover photo' s is featured in my copy of the original book .So has he just taken a lesson from Chris Rees and revisited his subject ? This ,new ? book is mainly pictorial , softback ,one page per model 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 05:31:56 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
Re: A new Deutsche Kleinwagen ?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 06:13:13 PM »
I haven't seen either version, but I notice that the German site for Amazon lists the earlier versions at 344 and 364 pages, but this latest version at only 128.

Mmmm.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 06:28:01 PM »
Any one for coffee?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 06:37:04 PM »
Yes as I say the original has many many pages of background to the companies and designers and fortunes - I just wish someone could translate it ! The new book is just one page per model photo based  . I have bought it anyway but will they be predominately the same photos ? Suspect so but its a good buy at that price - even Bob might tip up his piggy bank for this one  :)Book - Typen Kompass Deutsche Kleinwagen 1945-1974

"This 128 page softback with German text is produced like a "spotters-type" guide of German microcars and other small cars from 1945 to 1974. The first 8 pages relate to general text and pictures. The rest of the book is presented in manufacturer order, showing one model per page, with a photo & technical details.

Cars are featured from the following manufacturers - Albrecht, AWS, Auto Union DKW, AWZ, BMW, Brutsch, Champion, Maico, Deltawerk, Dornier, Econom, Fend, FMR, Fuldamobil, Goggomobil, Gnom, Gutbrod, Hanomag, Heinkel, Hoffman, Hurst, HWS, Kerstling, Kleinshnittger, Kroboth, Lloyd, Messershmitt, Meyra, NSU, NSU-Fiat, Pinguin, Spatz, Staunau, Trippel, Veritas, Victoria, Weidner, Wendax, Zundapp. It is an excellent pictorial history of these unusual cars, with 22 colour and 128 b/w photos.

Despite the German text, this book would make a great addition to the enthusiast's collection"

« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 08:28:09 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 01:12:07 AM »
They are completely different books, just happen to have the same name. Some pictures in the newer book were used in the older one, but not that many and some cars only feature in one book or in the other. The first book is hardback and gives a far more detailed history of each manufacturer - or series of manufacturers for each car and (having translated bits of it) to my mind still sets the standard by which other microcar books should be judged. The other one is paperback and more of a spotters guide, but in terms of the variety of cars covered, very comprehensive and really excellent value.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 06:27:08 AM »
Great Malcolm thanks , the information and book is just what I was after . I have told my wife to intercept it and keep it for Christmas morning . But I always say that and it won't happen  :).                 Possibly overshadowed but  Walter Zeichners " Kleinwagen International" should get a mention here . A terrific book covering as it says international manufacturers , including some real rarities never seen elsewhere I think .( Also a picture of the Hoffman chassis which I must find )
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 08:29:57 AM by richard »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 07:44:32 AM »
Still no English equivalent. Odd.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs