Author Topic: Borgward returns  (Read 1697 times)

wilksie

• Quite Chatty
Borgward returns
« on: September 17, 2015, 11:27:34 PM »
IAA Frankfurt 2015:

http://www.borgward.com/cms/en/

I'd want one. Out of brand loyalty.
Lloyd LP400
"If you are mad, this is your car."

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Borgward returns
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 11:53:25 PM »
Yes, I still am not sure about this turn of events. Still it makes things more interesting. Why not a Hansa, Goliath or Lloyd?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 07:41:15 AM »

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 11:51:52 AM »
The only thing that appears intriguing or distinctive about either car is the choice of nomenclature. Without wishing to disparage either of their namesakes, for all the heritage guff, they could just as easily have been called Kaiser or Blériot-Whippet.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 07:12:00 PM »
The Marco Polo if VW had not got the Polo name.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 10:24:30 PM »
Dear Wilksie

Would I be right in thinking this is just a bit of badge engineering? A BMW with a different grill.

Wash my mouth out.

Chris Thomas
Rumcar News

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 07:56:28 AM »
Well BMW made Borgwards with a different grill, so what is the difference after the act of industrial sabotage? I think it is this new trend to associated foreign construction with an image of German construction. The wise investigate where a machines is sourced and constructed, these days, as very often what purports to be a local product, is not. Having sourced that information, a check of reliability, and other data can be made, and a rational choice of a product made. In this case I already made it. I will have some real Borgwards please, as no one is making a modern car I actually wish to pay money to own. Including carbuncle BMWs called Mini.

wilksie

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 11:12:09 PM »
Agreed. You cannot build a successful brand on the basis of some fogeys (like me) trying to support the company just because they remember the original many years ago. Perhaps they will revert to Borgward's original strategy of producing vehicles of grace and power combined with very competitive prices, supported by an attractive commercial vehicle sector. They are hoping to sell the first units in China next year followed by Europe the year after.
Lloyd LP400
"If you are mad, this is your car."