Author Topic: Bath Microcar Rally 2016  (Read 8018 times)

chrispbug

• Occasional
Bath Microcar Rally 2016
« on: September 20, 2015, 03:00:26 PM »

If you've attended the rally in the last few years, you'll know that this rally has really struggled to survive. The 2015 rally was poorly attended mainly due to the facilities and it actually made a loss of £338 on the event.
I believe that it's only through the efforts of one man, ,Wynford Jones that the rally takes place at all.
It would be great if as many of us could attend in 2016 to repay Wynford for all his hard work in the past.
All the details on on their website -

www.bristolmicrocarclub.com

« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 12:26:53 AM by Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker) »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Bath Microcar Rally 2016
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 05:24:53 PM »
Struggled while being successful!
The attendance has not dropped below 30 I believe, and is normally a third more in recent years. We had 50 cars a few years ago. It is a fact that some of the costs of this event are fixed. Bath Rally was never run to make money. It was run to cover its costs. It therefore attempts to set entry at a fair price. Doing so means that it needs a critical number to attend, as campers and day visitors, to allow it to cover its costs. It no longer has a club to draw funds from as the Bristol Microcar Club has long since been mothballed. It is for this reason the successful series of Rallies demands that it has support on the ground to continue over and above other similar events.
The new management of the venue saw a leap in the quality and support of the facilities and hosts. Wyn was near to moving the event after some pretty second hand treatment in the last few years. This year, last, things were greatly improved. This event is to good, and to valuable, to loose.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 05:35:45 PM »
Hi , if I might make a couple of observations . I did attend the Bath Rally quite a few times a while back , when family conditions were different , it's a long way from Wirral . Over many many years now we have been urged to attend this rally for various reasons , to save it, to stop rallying dying out in that area , to help the attendance reach 100 micro's , to support Wynnford etc. all very laudable but let's see the other side . Having heard for many years that attendance is dwindling and fewer and fewer cars are turning up and the Rally is making a loss is hardly a great incentive to attend is it . The reasons I can only speculate but I don't think anyone would go out of their way to attend for any other than self interest . If the show sounds good , positive , exciting and appears fun to attend then possibly might ? Briefly I don't think many would go to a rally in order to save it .Harsh but true ? Just seen Als input and very glad to hear it it ,don't every year reissue warnings of impending failure , it's just not an attractive offfer
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 05:38:24 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 06:08:06 PM »
This talk is all very strange.  It seems to be "doomspeak" when the truth seems to me to have been rather different.

I went to the Bath Rally, and found that it was better attended than in recent years.  It was good fun, and the Saturday road run took us out to the American Museum in Britain, at Claverton Manor.

Here, entrance is normally £10 per adult.  Because it was the 30th rally, entrance tickets were given to us.  We also got vouchers which paid for the first few pounds of whatever we spent in the (superb) cafe at the museum.  The club will have bought these tickets and vouchers at a discount, but they will still have cost a significant amount.  If this rally made a loss, it's hardly surprising, but it seems to have been an intended cost, in celebration of 30 years.

A wonderful thing, and not something to - yet again - go on about as if the microcar sky is falling.

Incidentally, when I looked through the website that is linked, saying "All the details are on their website", I found no details whatsoever about attendance or loss.

Isn't it time we stopped wishing on ourselves (or the others who do actually attend rallies) the death of such events?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 06:33:15 PM »
here here !  :) glad its not doing so badly , but fgs talk it up , not down  :) the 30th anniversary road run, on the website , looked well attended too  :) :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 07:18:46 PM »
I write that we have had 50 cars recently, and numbers have never dropped below 30. This is returned by comments as an ongoing reducing number of cars attending a failing rally. Who said that? Not me.
I repeat. In simple English.
This is a stand alone Rally.
It is not supported by a club anymore. It is not subsidised by an owner of anything, either.
It is supported by some donations from people like Steve Vine, who believe in it.
It is consistently the second biggest Rally of the year, on average attendance.
It succeeds in doing what it does.
It is pretty much organised by one, busy, man.
Those who attend want it to continue.
It requires a certain number of entrants to break even. Who do you suppose is going to pay off the shortfall?
If we charge per lowest number of entrant, then we invite less support as the entry price is more unappealing.
Clearly then. the message is - Use it, or loose it.

I cannot help it if that is the truth. La-la-ing is no answer, a donation to keep the books black might be. Most of us who attend do donate, because we believe in the event and that given a good deal folk will be fair minded on what they will contribute.

Given a backer, or more money through the gate, this event could expand. We cannot do that on our own. Over to you!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 07:31:06 PM »
I certainly haven't wanted to be negative about this rally and I apologise if it came over that way ! Quite the opposite was intended I assure you . I commented in reply to the original post which follows many , annually at least , portents of doom . As I said earlier delighted it's not as bad as we were hearing

chrispbug

• Occasional
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 06:38:25 PM »
My original post regarding this rally came about after a conversation I had at the National. Perhaps I should have stated that '' I had heard' that the rally was struggling and I should have checked the details before posting.
I apologize for the confusion

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 07:48:58 AM »
The Heinkels and Trojans outnumbered other makes, including Bond Bugs on Saturday. I arrived to an unpopulated camp-site midday as the entire entourage had decamped to Lacock Abbey. There had been a failure of a Bond Bug which along with two others sat ignored at the end of the field, the owners out elsewhere.

I found Jean Jones in their camper making buns. It was a bright and sunny day, but the stiff wind meant I was not idle. I checked all the tents were OK and tightened a few guy ropes. Fortunately the gazebo placed centrally was closed off in the correct direction. Free tea making gear was there to be had once I worked out how the cooker ignited. Tony Godfrey popped in, now no car. He looked very spry for his 71 years and has taken to caravanning and walking, with his wife. Good to see him after some 10 years. Sadly he was off to Kent for two weeks the next day or he would have returned the next day.

The road runners returned in several groups. I knew most of them, so a lot of banter. The extra side put on the gazebo, a collection of buns, savourys, beer, wine and soft drink were presented to those gathered, free. Come 7.30 I had to head home as the dogs would want their supper, Bath Rallysite is a no dog area, and the guys were coming round for the evening as usual.

As I report this early Sunday, there is not a cloud in the sky. So maybe a few more folk will turn up today, as numbers are down a bit on the last few years. The prospect of wet weather gaining some of the blame.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 08:10:51 AM »
Just back from Bath Rally. A few more of the faithful joined us today. But attendance was down, and for no apparent reason, as the sun shone all day, to the extent I have my first sunburn of the year, despite the first sun-cream of the year. Sad to say that it was a further evidence of a reduction in the support from South of the venue, that was noticeable. Confirming the trend I noted in the spring with respect to the placing of the National firmly further North, than of old, for the simple reason that the ready support and numbers who attend prove to be further North than of old.

Still it was good to catch up with folk face to face. As is normal for me, I hardly looked at the cars as I was to busy gassing. I found stuff I could use at the Autojumble, too. I lost count of the cubs of tea, and buns, pork pies etc. on offer. The core bunch are a good group of people.

After the prize giving the sun just got better and better, It seemed a shame to rush off home. Since the HTC group, who were staying on site the further night were planning to go into town, the Jones, and myself decamped for a evening meal with them. All those who attended were happy with their lot, so a jolly occasion, So talk was on what on earth one can do to get more folk to come and join in. I do not think we found an answer. But it sounds that due to the generosity of a few, the event goes again next year. But I cannot really think the weather will beat this weekend, as if it is to hot the cars play up, and folk get sleepy in the afternoon sunshine. The breeze kept the temperature right so folk were active.

I left feeling pretty happy, only to fall foul of the Sunday Drivers Jazz Parking Club section's latest effort on the M4. So an hour in a traffic jam to get off the closed M4. Maybe that is one reason folk no longer turn out. To many burks who cannot drive on the road inhibiting free movement! Of course if its a Raspberry Jam job, the services close the road and all the penguins have great fun in making a bad situation worse. In this case closing a three lane roundabout exit, to one lane. Why? Being local I choose to turn the opposite way to the diversion and hit the lanes. The A420 was solid lights as I viewed it running along the Icknield Way half way up the downs escarpment. I mused what a great road that is for a Microcar, message to leader, must get one going.

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 04:29:12 PM »
This just came up in my news feed, obviously must have happened on the way home from the rally. Hope Nick is OK and can get his Trojan back into shape quickly.

http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/pictures-classic-car-punted-on-to-roof-in-stroud-crash/story-29474074-detail/story.html
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016, 05:02:23 PM »
That's rotten luck. Sounds like he's okay, as he was quoted in the article.

'Mr Astra' must have been driving like a lunatic.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 07:58:35 AM »
Rather underlines what I commented about getting home myself. To many people not concentrating on what they are doing, or taking ridiculous chances in making aggressive manoeuvres. I do not need to list them, as I am sure you could do the same (probably worse in Essex  ;) ). This time the result is a hell of a lot of work to put a thing of real value back together again.

It is interesting to note, that while folk might go on about the car rolling, the fact that it was quite an impact means it probably did less serious damage to car, and driver, than if it had been a four wheeler, and stood its ground. Rolling got rid of a lot of energy. The vagary of a small car hitting a large one, is the small car gets pushed out of the way, many times. That can save the passengers, but times it does not. The same sort of lottery is seen if a truck and car tangle.

I think this Trojan was restored from a wreck I was about to cut up in my drive, some years ago, as it was past it. Nick restored it, nonetheless - cheap entry price, high skill level. He can rebuild, hope the will is there to do it. Be easy to look to his other cars, but I think he is resilient enough to repeat his work. Hopefully the insurance industry will behave honourably.

I would also add, I am certain that another microcar had an accident at this same spot many years back. I believe it is a noted dodgy bit of road. Russell lives about 3 miles from there, but I do not access him via that route, as whilst it is more direct, its a lot of twisty, climbey roads. Its easier to go out to Birdlip on the A419, then back down the crest of the ridge. So I rarely use the accident location. The guys would have gone this way as an alternative to traking west, picking up the M5 and then up to possibly Evesham to come back into the lower edge of Birmingham by roads much better known to them. Its a hilly route, so I guess they were thinking it would be safer than the M5, and remove the extra mileage. Bummer.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 09:18:56 AM »
Up date.

Saw Nick at clubnight. He is hale and hearty. He had come in the NSU Prinz 11, with Peter Jones in his Trojan following. Its not put him off driving the cars. Seems likely that in the impact he put his arm through the sidescreen. He had a cut, and the remains of the sidecreen is missing a round central chunk. Seems that the Vauxhall was coming out of a minor road at a painted mini roundabout. She was busy looking at Gary Longstaff, who was approaching the roundabout, and missed seeing Nick who was nearly off the roundabout, broadsiding him. The car tipped over immediately and spun around on its side to end pointing in the way it had come.
The odd part is that she should have been giving way to Gary who was about to enter the roundabout with right of way. Had that happened there would have been no accident, anyway. Not sure what the attending authorities made of that nugget.

After the event it was found that the Trojan was just about drivable, though one lower engine mount had popped. The seat might be bent, so a major intrusion. The driver of the Foxhole admitted liability and it looks like the insurance is working OK. They are paying out on a valuation, which is in advance of the agreed value, as its a claim on a third party. So Nick has a reasonable budget to rebuild the car. There is tacit agreement he can do this himself, buying the wreckage back. I was correct. The place is an accident blackspot. While the guys were being scraped up there were two further misses with horns blaring.

The Trienkel owners are coming up with panels to aid repair. Not least Mike Shepherd. So really not to bad an outcome for a nasty moment. Though Nick could have done without the work. He was even talking about a normal sort of holiday. Still on as his wife is looking forward to it. Meantime he has done more to the Isetta in restoration.

Good pubnight, The Fleece has re-floated the classic cars evening in the summer on the same night. This is drawing in a few more other classic cars as we go. So if that is pushed a little over the winter it might return to a well attended general gathering, in which we are a key part. Be great. Once I have things sorted I can take a larger old car too. The bonus is to not park a step away from the pub in the midst of a busy village, but be allowed into the Pub Orchard and yard. Its about a 90 mile round trip so Micro only in the summer, set reasonable weather, I think. I have 4 steep hills to do, as its right across the Cotswolds.

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 05:03:39 PM »
>The odd part is that she should have been giving way to Gary who was about to enter the roundabout with right of way. Had that happened there would have been no accident, anyway. Not sure what the attending authorities made of that nugget.<

Er ... Driver entering a roundabout is to give way to vehicles ON the roundabout, approaching from the right, isn't it?  (And of course to those on the roundabout and passing in front!)

Glad to hear that Nick's OK.