Author Topic: Which type of glue ?  (Read 2436 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Which type of glue ?
« on: September 24, 2015, 05:34:15 PM »
Silly little question , but here goes . Plastic bonnet badge off Bond E-G has a tiny scrape in the silver part , a piece of baking foil from behind looks perfect - what type of glue ? Non yellowing , won't melt plastic etc .
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
Re: Which type of glue ?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 06:10:25 PM »
Clear bostik should work.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 08:55:51 AM »
I think I have decided not to risk anything - just frightened of making the badge worse , tried a couple of glues and there definetly seems to be plastic melt
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 09:29:57 AM »
I think I have decided not to risk anything - just frightened of making the badge worse , tried a couple of glues and there definetly seems to be plastic melt

Sensible - but how about some silver paint?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 10:02:09 AM »
Hi dave - you know the badge obviously . My badge is near mint , new old stock ? ,but had need of some silver paint behind on the extreme edges - done lovely . The centre panel is very high chrome and the tinfoil is a perfect mirror but how to stick it on ? Perhaps I am just being too fussy - but I know you ! And you would be just the same
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 10:10:09 AM by richard »

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 08:17:48 PM »
You can get chrome paint.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 08:54:09 AM »
In repairing Goggo badges I use a foil to get the gold. This badge fits in a bezel so does not have to be fastened on being finished. It sits trapped and pegged against rotating. If its the Bond badge I am thinking off, its free standing, so my solution probably will not work. I used rubber solution painted onto the back of the badge. This sealed it, holding the repairs in place. I then used a lilo patch of rubberised linen to mount the badge on, so it would not scuff. One could bond the linen to the rear of the badge, but it might pull away, it might be visible. Rubber solution seems not to attack most plastics. But it is not a strong surface in its own right. 
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 10:07:48 AM »
thanks al , I think that's where I am going , seal a piece of foil in behind and tape it over or suchlike  . it really is such a tiny thing but nice to improve it . not exactly ready for it yet on the G

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2015, 03:27:42 PM »
careful with the glues , PVA might be the best , dries clear - wont attack the plastic , whatever it will still look repaired , best go the silver paper route , try without the sticky tape long term it could wrinkle , but by then the sun will have got to it .
lets know the results .   

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2015, 07:26:12 PM »
I'd be tempted to try this stuff. I don't know if you've ever come across it, but it's about the best thing you can use for plastic model cars etc to simulate chrome plate and most good model shops stock it in a variety of finishes. It is very tenacious, but you also can remove it fairly easily and the adhesive is safe on hard plastic. The only issue would be that you're applying it to the back of the badge, so you'd see the side with adhesive whereas it's usually used on the surface and then burnished to whatever degree of polish you want.

http://www.bare-metal.com/bare-metal-foil.html

http://hobby.uk.com/finishing-products/bare-metal-foil.html

Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2015, 01:32:44 PM »
Good to know