Author Topic: Hub Caps  (Read 5446 times)

milnes

• Quite Chatty
Hub Caps
« on: October 06, 2015, 10:26:41 PM »
Did anyone see the episode of Wheeler Dealers with the KR200 in it? Just wonder if anyone knows which company they went too for the Hub caps?
I need to stop buying!

MrSmith

• Just Starting
Re: Hub Caps
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 02:08:57 AM »
Hi
I just watched this episode, here it is, maybe someone can help you and recognise the shop that made the hub caps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgIW2ySVatk

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 07:01:37 AM »
I thought Nick Poll just had some made? Or am I mistaken - again. :)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 08:28:14 AM »
They are on eBay, but not at £8.00. Russ and I attempted to get them done but its a long story. I have not checked to see if they ever got them correct. But when we tried they could not / would not do the thing as it should be. The cap should be fitted with a spinner really.

First time I watched this program. I did not really see much that taught me skills to do a car up. So its not really about enthusiasts and restoration. It clearly avoids reality of cost centres and serves to suggest anyone can make money out of buying and selling cars. The current experience on eBay and such is that is what is happening. Lot of old trash being pushed around to find a fool who buys badly. All a bit depressing when there is a rattling good series to be had that really gets under the surface of classic cars. But with this, TG and others I can see why classic cars have drifted off in the wrong direction.
Now Brewer and China have fired the guys who really did the work, and moved to the USA. Money talks, and this series is world wide and why should they not cash in. Sad for the support crew.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 10:28:05 AM »
It's not easy to produce a show which strikes the right balance between fact and entertainment.

I've always liked the program, and am aware they gloss over a lot of areas and sometimes give some down right dubious advice- remembering the way they skimmed the rear drum on the Isetta episode.

However it's nice to see the variety of vehicles.

1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 12:14:27 PM »
Did anyone see the episode of Wheeler Dealers with the KR200 in it? Just wonder if anyone knows which company they went too for the Hub caps?
Arden Continental Car Accessory Co Ltd. No website, but detail here.
http://www.classiccarwebsite.com/arden-continental-car-accessory-co-ltd
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 12:27:06 PM by Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker) »
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

swanktank

• Chatty
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 05:57:50 PM »
I tracked them down from the programme and phoned them up. The price was not £8 as in the programme, more like £20. They were going to phone me back but never did.

MrSmith

• Just Starting
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 08:25:58 PM »
I tracked them down from the programme and phoned them up. The price was not £8 as in the programme, more like £20. They were going to phone me back but never did.

The prices for parts and repairs they throw around on the show has always seemed very low to me, I did wonder if it was just where I live or the guys on the show got a reduction in price as a form of advertising the business, be it not mentioning their name, on the show.

milnes

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 11:13:52 PM »
Thanks all.
I quite like Wheeler Dealers actually, at least they are keeping one more classic on the road. It is a shame that they don't tell you how much the repairs would cost at even a modest £20/hour, then you would get a real sense of the cost to keep a car on the road.

I think my favourite for the quality of workmanship is:

1: For the Love of Cars
2: Car SOS
3: Wheeler Dealers

I saw some of the cars on show at the NEC and have to admit they are stunning.

If you are into cars then these shows make for an entertaining hour, in my humble opinion.

I can't remember the name of the programme that Mike Brewer was in before Wheeler Dealers but the show would visit a seller of a car and they would show you round the car, then Mike and another host would give you their opinion on the sale price. Then back to the buyer and the deal done. Really enjoyed that show.
I need to stop buying!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 08:15:46 AM »
Yep, that was the version they wanted me on, selling an Isetta. I asked them what the real directorial narrative was, to cut through the froth researchers generate to get you interested. It was the negotiating process. IE confrontation. TV loves confrontation.

Having watched a few where the formate is seller wants £5,000, Brewer tells buyer to offer £2,500, or even less, and it is interiorly expected that the seller would drop. I answered them, and said I would treat them like any other customer. So a ridiculously low offer puts the ultimate price of the car up, or the garage door closes promptly. They could not get their heads round this, despite my pointing out it is a matter of respect for whom your dealing with. You can go to a numbty and use that less than half ploy, by all means. You do not use it when talking to someone who knows far more about the subject that you do. My incentive to continue discussions is little more than nil, is it not? What happens is my answer will be. 'Well its now £5k no negotiations, take or leave it, there is the gate, cheerio'. Something I have done many times in the past, learned from successful trade I traded with. Such customers are going to be trouble after sales too, usually.

So the programme went and bought an Isetta elsewhere rather than educating folk that sometimes being a smart arse buyer does not work at all. As once marked as a non buyer the word goes round.

So then I watched the Messerschmitt being bought, from a trade source. And the arch negotiator, Mr Brewer, rolled over like a puppy and paid about £3k to much, in my opinion. From that I think I learned, in Brian Clough order, that I was right!

As a sort of negative version of that tale, I have been helping a mate ripped off buying an Austin Healey MkII. Several historical claims were made over values and ownership. Using my contacts and knowledge I have come up with proofs that some of these claims are just not true, other extremely unlikely. At the moment I do not think we are at a point where the car goes back, or an agreement is made with a part returned payment, but slowly the props to his case are being removed and a court case might well result. Here is a program for broadcast. Folk buying on eBay and getting money back from lying sellers. Not easy, but doable if you know the right folk. There's confrontation for you. No doubt eBay would sue.

Best car show. I enjoy snippits of Jay Leno, or whatever his name is. His enthusiasm for his topic comes through. He has the money to produce himself, so he shows cars that do not always behave, as its part of the whole of ownership. He makes fun and invites you to join in, rather than the camera pointing at someone saying 'look at that pratt'. Its informative. I particularly enjoyed the Davis.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 06:33:17 PM »
I would give top billing to Wheeler Dealers since it actually is mostly about cars and restoring/rebuilding them.  The others all have contrived 'human interest' stories injected into them since the arts types making them can't imagine anyone would actually be interested in the car itself, or they feel they can get a bigger audience by adding enough non-car content to keep other family members watching.