Author Topic: Croydon Cars  (Read 1992 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Croydon Cars
« on: November 01, 2015, 02:14:25 PM »
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
Re: Croydon Cars
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 06:33:35 PM »
Thank you Alan for giving us the link to Croydon Cars, this is the first time I have seen this little booklet.  I was very disappointed to find however the only mention the Tourette seems to get is one photograph on page 21.  Nevertheless, as you say there is some good stuff in there and deserves some in depth reading. It has  been printed and added to the Rumcar archives to be studied in more detail.  Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 08:26:40 PM »
It does come up for sale at autojumbles quite regularly, but the last time I saw a copy it was about £40!
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 08:25:59 AM »
I found it as I was looking for North Downs Engineering Company, NORDEC, information. I am trying to find out who made my Trials car. It came from the Croydon catchment area. NORDEC is a good candidate as the construction was bang on when they were most actively trying to build cars. It has a Ballamy front axle and brakes, might have had a supercharger (NORDEC sold Marshall superchargers and held license to supply LMB parts). After Wrenn left, moving to Market Harborough, he made some double dual rail semi monocoque chassis in 3 inch tube to go under GRP bodies. While not the same, it is sounding much like that which is in my car, where the rest of the body is structural steel sheet and being a full monocoque. It is clearly made cribbing the successful early Lotus and Dellow for much of its style and layout.
Sadly the archive of entrants and results of 50's-70's Trials is not great, nor digitised. So I cannot easily work backwards. The car has been heavily modified at least once, so most of the original running gear is gone. Yet who edver originally made it knew what they were doing. Its the modifications that are poor.
The car has little value beyond a novelty, and any performance in its class - shared with Dellow, Cannon, Troll etc. But I like to know what things are and occasionally you get lucky and find out a lot. Even better you find folk who had, or made, the car back in the day. Its a pleasure to show them that the product of their efforts still exists, to be reborn into a usable vehicle once again.
(Dear old Mr Brooke, who was nearly in tears on finding the Grossmans driving has old Goggomobil after its serious surgery and an engine change, and another attending while in work, at Olney National.Rally. I could tell him car 3 was in Cornwall and 4, badly damaged, was now a Coupe. He was, of course, treated to a whizz up the road for old times sake. He passed away not long after, but his son wrote and said that he had made his fading father attend, as a treat, and he never stopped talking about it thereafter. Silly little cars, but we love them.)
For those scratching there heads. NORDEC went on to become something of a successful manufacturer of model plane engines.   
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 09:53:45 AM »
Dear Al
Nordec Heating  ( Norman Decorating) located not far from Croydon is nothing to do with the Nordec ( North Downs Engineering Company) that you are looking for.

Chris Thomas

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 10:54:33 AM »
Nordec would still seem to exist, but now in Dartford. I believe the shortened form of the full name is a trading name of the company, not the registered business name. None the less there might still be confusion. Personally, I think Norm is just blowing hot air ;D.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 10:56:27 AM by Big Al »

Nimrod Cabin

• Chatty
7 x Bond Minicars ABCCDDF

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 10:16:36 AM »
Pretty sure the Trojan lot already know about this car. Bit of a tale to it. But Croydon's finest!