Author Topic: One of the 13 ligiers on eBay  (Read 7066 times)

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
One of the 13 ligiers on eBay
« on: November 04, 2015, 08:39:39 PM »
Seen the Ligier on eBay this was one of the good ones I went to buy , on a 99p auction now with a log book, interesting things shame the battery's are so expensive maybe scared off the original buyer

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
Re: One of the 13 ligiers on eBay
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 03:41:38 PM »
A perfect opportunity for one of your already proven abilities to save money and end up with a super micro.
Forget the batteries and instead get one of the very commonly EBay listed 21 h.p. 2 cylinder water cooled powerplants from a later bigger Ligier microcar.   The whole package with radiator and fan should still fit neatly under the seat, and stay adequately cool.   I would expect to only pay about 250 euros for a good low mileage example, as they are quite commonly saved when the cars they came in got bent without damaging them in their central location in the chassis.

The pulley drive to the differential in the car already should be fine handling the torque of the bigger motor, as electric drivetrains have to be able to handle their motor's full delivery of max torque at zero rpm.
You also would not be upsetting your weight balance, as it would be mounted low, and in the same central to long axis location.

These chassis have been acknowledged to be the most competent of all in period micros, as you might expect from a successful F1 competitor, but came with infamously low power engines.
Get as good a result as I expect from you with this one, and I will hire you to do same for the next good one that comes up for me!
God speed to you.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 03:44:51 PM by steven mandell »

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 07:46:01 AM »
I just have no interest in chasing these cars after last time  , I've got 2 more projects after the peel to get through so I haven't got the time to take any thing else on sorry

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 08:56:18 AM »
Well the going rate for the electrics coming up and some real ones is £300, £700 for 2 and £410. So that is a unit price of £352 before fees and logistics. That is bang on what Ian and I worked it out to for purchase and logistics per car from Cambridge. So no uplift left without doing some work. Golden raspberry. Unlike the several caches of IC found. Glad we left them alone.

Having been sold poorly once they have passed beyond many folks interest as they will have been messed with and are no longer fresh meat. No doubt we will see them rattling their tin for cash for some time, and I fear most will be doomed to be botched up. The market was not really ready for these to be collectables, nor for the quantity at one time, unless you had a cunning plan - like getting a franchise for them at Longleat, Alton Towers or Brownsea Island or something.

Yep, could do the work to get one going with ICE fitted onto the drive. By the time its sorted to be roadworthy I would prefer the Matra at £1,600, currently. Equally odd and French but with far more use. I fear its in Essex despite saying Enfield, Sussex. as location. So a bright boy selling. For someone else, possibly, as I do not buy in Essex.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 05:09:26 PM »
Which Matra are you referring to? ???

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 02:30:07 AM »
Thanks Malcolm.  A nice looking example of the former winner of the silver lemon award.
Probably go up in price substantially in the next week though.
Would be killer cool if it was one of the 3 that they made with the 2800 cc U8 engine formed by joining 2 of their 1400 cc fours together by oilpan casting and crankshaft chains.
However this type arrangement always incurs a weight penalty when compared to a true single motor of similar displacement for obvious reasons.
Tried with separated motors on the original Minis by inhabiting both fore and aft compartments and resulting in poorly coordinated 4 wheel drive quite a few years earlier. 
Opposite the effect of a heavier water cooled twin cylinder with 10 x displacement of the Ligier JS8 engine that I suggested swapping under the seat.
 Twimini's high polar moment of inertia, with the weight distribution and design attributes   ::) of a classic dumbell,  would keep it spinning like a top if pushed too far into oversteer.
Other interesting bimotor cars to share?
(notice subtle shift in topic)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 02:33:26 AM by steven mandell »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 08:50:02 AM »
Found as Car and Classic C673985. The much underrated Murena. This was to have had a V6 engine but the Renault Espace took off and Matra had contracts to make the bodies. No capacity was left to make the Murena what it should have been. There are a few with M30 16v Gti in, and a few with Alfa V6. Stunningly quick.

The Baggy was an unhappy car as it rusts. Needs the whizzo engine too. Not for me, though I have one parked not 100 yards from my shed!

For Sale > Classic Cars > Matra

I am selling my Matra Murena because I have been given an opportunity to buy a Datsun 240z

It has the 1.6 liter engine which is said to be more reliable.

It is a project, but it runs and drives and should pass the MOT with the following fixed:

needs a spare wheel
new tyres
seat adjustment mechanism
warning lights

If i think of anything else it might fail on I will update.

The restoration work I have completed so far includes an almost entirely new cooling system, refurbished brakes, painted and repaired front and back suspension, fixed various electrical issues, replaced hatchback gas struts.

Last time I checked the gaiters were in good nick and the trailing arms are rot free and have been painted with a durable chassis paint.
everything is original, including the steering wheel which is very rare for the brown interior. The car comes with an original gear knob (unfitted) a replacement thermostat housing, a spare bulb set and the original lhs wing mirror which needs repairing. Not a difficult job.

I bought the car last year and have started to get it road worthy, but progress is slow due to me having another car and being in uni most of the time.

the paint is not great but it is low mileage, it has done nearly 90000 kilometers which is pretty good for a 34 year old car. The interior is original but worn and the drivers side door card needs refitting.

The chassis is galvanized and as a result there isn't a speck of rust on the underside or any of the monocoque chassis. The trailing arms are in good condition and have been painted with a very durable chassis paint.
Price:    £1600 Or near offer
Advert Type:    For Sale
Category:    Classic Cars
Make:    Matra
Model (alt):    Murena
Year:    1981
Region:    Sussex
Town:    Enfield
Telephone:    07043 240878  Privacy Service
E-mail:    Contact Advertiser via Email
Listing Date:    24-Oct-2015
Ref:    C673985

« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 08:57:50 AM by Big Al »
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 09:02:34 AM »
Vehicles powered by two ICE engines are banned from road use here, unless you can have one innert. So this type of mod has never been greatly popular here save for off roading or display purposes. There have been a series of double ended cars, no doubt some on You Tube doing displays.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 09:43:14 AM »
How good were the 2.2 liter Murenas?
I left money in a bank account in Belgium for a Belgian to hunt one up for me in 1983, only to find that two years later that they had allowed my money to be nationalized for lack of activity in the account.

We're they supposed to get the Renault, Peugot, Deloren V6 engine?
Seems it should have been a logical choice and in good supply at the time.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 12:02:14 PM »
I forget, but I thought it was a Maserati - SM? The 2.2 is more powerful but the engines are old designs. The rattle like Triumph lumps used too. Talbot/Chrysler Tagoro engine. Such a good car that about 81/2 sold in the UK! (Why is it that when Chrysler get there name in things go to pot?) Being me I would really like a Matra with a wankel triple rotor running on kerosene, with a cunning autobox to get rid of the intrusive gearstick.

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 12:29:07 PM »
I can remember the Bagheera being used as an example of French sophistication: built with a double passenger seat so that a Parisian gentleman could take out both his wife and his mistress at the same time - perhaps no longer a description of sophisticated behaviour, even if there are still men who wish it was?