Author Topic: New Fridge  (Read 2514 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
New Fridge
« on: November 08, 2015, 09:07:17 AM »
Despite not looking for more or different cars things just turn up anyway at Rosealan. So it was one day a horse box arrived with a very good condition Mini Comtesse in it, along with a set of Victorian iron balcony supports. The MC was out and through the pedestrian gate before you could say 'sans permis'. The Victorian items were more like nine foot smooth-bore cannon and very heavy. In return for this sudden turn of events I waved goodbye to the Crayford, after 4 hours getting it out. It left leaving me with some Government coupons into the bargain. We had a huge late alchololic lunch/tea to celebrate liberation.
Seems no one was very interested in the Crayford, like the British Norsja last seen by popular demand at the National. Your a strange lot, is all I can say. Going for cheaper, inferior spec imports with no interesting history, that you then struggle to get registered. This when there are rare and interesting versions here already.

Anyway the MC has had a flick round with an oily rag and all the controls do what they are meant to. Some research has yielded info on the age of the machines. That needs to be corroborated. However there seems no problem with registration and it will be appearing in V5C form in due course from DVLA. Even if the date provisionally agreed on is the one to remain, it should be tax free next year. Yesterday my test driver was doing circuit and bumps in it. The Saxsonette engine is sweet enough, but as is often the case of lack of use in dry storage its full of deposits that need to be burned off, so there is more to come. It changes gear correctly and holds down top. Certainly needs the 4th and 5th wheels as any spirited use sees the car with one road wheel in the air.

I have no plans to keep this car and once I have the paperwork together and sorted out a few minor issues it can have an MOT and go up for sale, unless someone is dead keen to own a fully registered car ready to go, or shortly. Perversely I prefer to keep the passive over-engineered posts these days, yet I have yet to think exactly how I can use them to show them off to there full effect.

Indeed its been a good week as there were stirrings from another long unvisited shed and another discussion with expert and DVLA with a view to straightening out a bit of troubled record work. This might bring forward another rarity to be tidied up. Again partly as I have decided I am not going to do anything more constructive with it. It needs to find a better home next year. My old Scootacar is due for first starting and I need to finish off my Black Box rebuild for Ian so we can try it out. Looks like it will be out for next years season. If it had remained here nothing would have happened to it.

Another result of the visitation is the adoption of another IC project vehicle, possibly two, yet to be established is if number 2 is still there......! The probs of long stored items not in your immediate curtalidge.

So lots going on round here despite my reluctance to do very much!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 09:18:23 AM by Big Al »
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
Re: New Fridge
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 07:50:41 PM »
Too bad about the timing. 
A couple of weeks ago the MC could have been #9 in  my 40' container shipped out of Southampton.  Would not have needed the MOT.
Was your friend's one road wheel up in the air cornering accompanied by a training wheel touching tarmac in the front?
The few times that I have experienced this it was a violent, and potentially damage producing jolt, as none of the front wheels have benefit of suspension, and the training casters have not even got any air in  them to cushion the bump.  Indeed, the fiberglass that they are bolted too shows severe damage on one of mine's front corners.

Scootacar could also have fit.  However, it would probably be out of my price range, and I've got my own project Mark one anyway. So no loss for me not to have the opportunity presented.
 Is yours a Mark one also?
Pictures always appreciated.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: New Fridge
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 12:07:58 AM »
That's life, stuff comes up when it will. Never pays to be in a hurry, but then only if your on free storage! I think *** looks for at least 20 vehicles in a 40 ft container on several levels, and normally beats it! He has storage sorted and has overspilled on friends stashes at times, as a load builds up.

Yes it tips onto one of the casters at the front. Cornering speeds are sort of inverse of angle of steering. More than a trickle means a fail when turning round in its own length. Its not really designed for a Schmitter, more someone of less frantic progress.

Scootacar is a MkII, but long sold. Doubt I will get another as the prises are beyond what I wish to pay.

Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs