Author Topic: Mini Cometesse work  (Read 19069 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Mini Cometesse work
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2016, 11:38:21 AM »
My car has a spare wheel. I disagree with its carrying position, which is clamped to the left inner rear wheel arch. That is because it prevents the seat from being able to go fully back. It could fit across the rear of the inner on the back body panel, but in my car there is a battery tray in the way. This takes a larger battery. Remember it had naff fitted dynostarter, so I suspect rather than fix a botch, the extra botch was a bigger battery. Doh!

I think the original idea was that one cubby hole pannier on the rear inner wing took the bike sized battery and the other the tool kit, the Gitane and a spare bottle of wine. With the rear empty of gubbins it is possible to have a small passenger, dog or shopping in the car without hassles. You tube clips show the cars used thus.

So the wheel could be fitted on the rear, resting on the bumper, clamped onto the body. Best with a matching cover to the seats, green in my case. But my preference would be the void under the rear floor as it gets it out of sight, gives a lower centre of gravity and keeps the interior empty. It would not be hard to find a bin to then bolt over it to keep it clean, with four drain holes in the bottom.

Now suffering a poor leg as a result of the contortions I had to do on my knees to get at the restricted light fasteners. Just proves I really have to back out of this as a not only a business, but as a main hobby. The Doctors are winning the argument.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2016, 12:02:06 PM »
My spare wheel is under the seat.  This gives the impression of a commode...................appropriate for the normal drivers age and driving experience I think.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2016, 12:05:29 PM »
I assumed it would not fit. Clearly wrong! Makes sense.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2016, 05:20:41 PM »
The Mini Comtesse is now sold. Gone to be an exhibit in a museum. So the titivation was worth it.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2016, 07:05:13 PM »
Not much point in getting it working then?

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2016, 07:38:25 PM »
Barry,
Did your spare come with any stock looking hardware or molding designed to keep it from floating about from its under seat setting?
Was there anything like a tire iron or jack?
A light weight block would be more expedient than a jack.
But the question still stands.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2016, 11:23:37 PM »
I will have a look Steven and get back to you tomorrow.
I seem to remember my back-side keeping the spare tyre in place - commode fashion.  The seat does not have much support.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2016, 09:05:41 AM »
Not much point in getting it working then?

No, other than the satisfaction of sorting out a few botches gained over the years. Likewise a waste of a V5. But then who ever bought it there was a 95% chance it would never be driven further than the nearest public road, really. Yet the buyers would all make a fuss if it did not work. So that is the perverse world we live in.
However the difference between trade, and hobby, is I do the fixing up because I want to, not because I need to. The reward is enjoyment, and if one is lucky, a few shandy tokens into the bargain. Certainly did not make money on this car, as I had to put hours into returning it to working order. So if I was on an hourly rate.....
I enjoy tinkering, so most cars I will be selling will be as good as I feel I want to get them, and as complete, too. Trying to get a Type 70 going at the moment, but life demands my time elsewhere, so that has been two weeks not happening. Not even getting to many club nights now. Light evenings are to valuable to waste, after all the crap weather, and my being ill. All the more reason to clear the decks.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2016, 06:09:40 PM »
I will have a look Steven and get back to you tomorrow.
I seem to remember my back-side keeping the spare tyre in place - commode fashion.  The seat does not have much support.

Just the flat floor with the spare lose on it.  It won't move around as my back side nests into it quite nicely.  The seat pad is not very strong.
No tyre levers, stud spanner or jacks.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2016, 11:16:44 AM »
That means that mine came completely equipped with nothing but a spare floating around under there.
Well at least I didn't have to invent wheel splicing a couple years sooner.

I wonder if there was supposed to be a tool bag in the top of wheel well cubby opposite the one that houses my too small battery?
If so, I'd be curious to know what came in the roll.   Lug wrench would seem obvious. 
Combination wrench stamping like those made for bicycles might even be useful.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2016, 11:50:16 AM »
I doubt there were many luxuries provided but I think a wheel nut brace would be essential.
Perhaps other owners have something in the other wheel well cubby - probably another battery :)