Author Topic: Reliant or what ?  (Read 3534 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Reliant or what ?
« on: January 20, 2016, 04:04:34 PM »
Any ideas ? Petite ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
Re: Reliant or what ?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 05:47:50 PM »
What.
If you are referring to the car whose rear view is seen below the Fun in funeral, your  dead wrong about it being a Petite.  Tail lights too high, rear window too wide for length with a bottom facing concavity that neither it nor the rear hood have on the Petite, and no rear louvers.

More interesting to me is the vehicle in the left fore ground.   Is it some sort of upen van with an unseen motorcycle in it?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 05:49:30 PM by steven mandell »

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 07:16:17 PM »
Reliant Regal

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 07:55:30 PM »
Thanks dave , ut wad on local facebook and someone else just got there with Reliant V/ VI . I just said the inly person I had ever known wAs Dave  Mcneice a funeral director and look whats on the wall behind in this photo , a very odd coincidence indeed . Cant follow Steven but hey whats new
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 08:21:40 PM »
I am questing in regards to the vehicle that is partially displayed in the lower left corner of the picture.  Seems to have an odd fender flare, and a side view mirror sprouting out from an unlikely juxtaposition along it's mid length.
Then again, it could be a reasonably placed side view mirror, as I do not even know which way this mystery vehicle is facing.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 08:26:55 PM by steven mandell »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 10:08:45 PM »
I wonder could the van just be one of these ? I am sorry but my iphone insists on turning these pics by 90deg
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 10:10:17 PM by richard »

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 11:50:11 PM »
Yes, Richard, my first reaction was an A30/35 van, though the flare of the rear wheel arch seemed too great, and there seemed to be a rib around what should be a smooth flare.

I see what Steven means: it could almost be something like a Scootacar, heading away from the camera.  The tax disc on the screen, and the wing mirror, tell us it's facing the camera, and now that I look in detail, I see that just in front of the mirror stalk is a wing-top side light.  I reckon it IS an Austin van, and it's the strange foreshortening of the picture that makes it look over-flared, and exaggerates the curve at the top of rear window, and the way the door seems not in line.

What looks like a sunroof, but will be a pressing in the metal, also matches the A35.

My money's on an A35 van, to which rear windows have been crudely added.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 11:57:32 PM by DaveMiller »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 10:55:23 AM »
Very few Austin A30/35 Countryman were made. Many vans, however, were converted to Countryman lookalikes by buying a kit, or home made, thus avoiding purchase tax. Windows into the side, a rear seat. The telling thing is if there is a sardine tin vent on the roof. Real Countryman do not have sardine tins on their head, its a towney thing, don't you know!!!
It was not unknown for the wheels on A35 to be replaced with bigger ones to up the loading capacity. Vaguely illegal, but such things were not really greatly policed. We had a private dairy round here that operated twin wheeled Morris Minor vans to carry the weight. Operated by Nobby Wilkins. Occasionally Mrs Wilkins would do the trip, wearing two hats. That meant she was off to Swindon after and her best hat would then be revealed to Town. I, it was a simple life round here, when I was a lad.
Just a thought. the A35 might have been converted, by a bit of widening, into a black marriah, seeing its parked near a Funeral Director.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs