Author Topic: Belcar - first test drive today!  (Read 11826 times)

piatti

• Chatty
    • Rollermobilclub Schweiz
Belcar - first test drive today!
« on: December 12, 2015, 04:14:02 PM »
Last autumn, I brought the Belcar back to it's origin - switzerland after a long term storrage in private dutch collection. From the around seven car built in Wollerau near Zurich Switzerland, this car is the only survivor. As a swiss microcar enthusiast, getting the only remaining Belcar was something very special. The car was in original unrestaured original condition and probably of the road since the early seventies. I have started to dismantle the car and restaured the chassis, brakes and engine. To keep the car in its original condition, I only cleaned the parts (incl. every rusty screw) and put all back together. Earlier this week, I started the engine for the first time since more than 40 years. Although I just cleaned the outside and changed the clutch, chain and a new condensator - it started at first key turn - amazing!
Today, I took the chassis out for the first test drive. It seems that everything works - the perfect christmas gift for myself :-).

Now, I will put to body onto the chassis and start doing the rest - like electrics and other small stuff. Hopefully all the hard work is done and the car will be back on the road soon.

Here some pics of the car on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/19867693@N03/albums/72157659494809559

Oliver

« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 04:15:56 PM by piatti »
Rollermobilclub Schweiz
www.rollermobilclub.ch

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Belcar - first test drive today!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 04:23:21 PM »
Great work Oliver, and I like your improvised "seat" ! I look forward to seeing it completed.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 04:43:55 PM »
Fantastic!
By using an outdoor cushion atop a section of particle board, you have out classed my test drive of a long stored bare Isetta chassis at the beginning of this century.
I simply sat on a folded up card board box for my harrowing ride, which came to an abrupt screeching halt just after proving engagement of 4th gear.
Upon inspection it showed that a front wheel turned suddenly sideways due to a completely worn out steering bushing.
So don't get too lazy about your preflight check, and post a video for us to view!

P.S.  I regularly use  the "Spell Check" tab to the right of the "post" tab, as it can work wonders for us all.

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 05:48:58 PM »
P.S.  I regularly use  the "Spell Check" tab to the right of the "post" tab, as it can work wonders for us all.

Ooh, mee-ow!

It's rare to find a correctly-spelled posting on this or many another forum, but I think we might give some tolerance to those who are writing in a language not their own.

Besides, it's difficult to determine, if you're not fully familiar with a language, whether a spell-checker's suggestions actually improve things.  It seems that this one, for example, cannot spell outclassed, long-stored, folded-up, cardboard, had turned, or worn-out!  ;)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 06:20:05 PM »
The only, the original, but the working! What its really all about. Owning stuff is one thing but to extend that to a commitment to the car to keep it in its very best condition is the mark of an enthusiast. More so if its not replaceable. I think it is Christmas for anyone who cares. An insperation to get some of my work done.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 06:30:28 PM »
Well done indeed Oliver.  It is the most beautiful restoration of a truly rare car. I believe this to be No 278 on our truly  international Register of Unusual Microcars? I do hope you will let Alastair have some up to date photos for his records.
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 06:55:29 PM »
I restored my Trojan in my workshop. The first time I took it out into the yard for a test drive I just held the door in front of while I ran around making engine and screeching braking noises!

For the first pukha engine-in test run it had no door, windows, roof, carpet or upholstery, and the acceleration was remarkably brisk, my friend was so startled he shouted out!

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 07:20:15 PM »

Ooh, mee-ow!

It's rare to find a correctly-spelled posting on this or many another forum, but I think we might give some tolerance to those who are writing in a language not their own.

Besides, it's difficult to determine, if you're not fully familiar with a language, whether a spell-checker's suggestions actually improve things.  It seems that this one, for example, cannot spell outclassed, long-stored, folded-up, cardboard, had turned, or worn-out!  ;)
Ohkeydonkey, ill juzt stp uzing tha spalchker, nd right n mi natve linguage- Merican.

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 08:46:45 PM »
Great to see such a wonderful, rare car in the hands of an enthusiast. Thanks for sharing your pictures.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

piatti

• Chatty
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 09:03:50 AM »
So - test drive successfully completed! The chassis will go back in place, therefore I had to strip the chassis back to the main part otherwise it will not fit into the bodyshell. As all other chassis parts are already cleaned and ready to fit, I hope it will not take to much time to get the Belcar back on wheels...

Rollermobilclub Schweiz
www.rollermobilclub.ch

piatti

• Chatty
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2015, 07:42:51 PM »
started to reassemble the chassis parts. So far everything works as expected...

Rollermobilclub Schweiz
www.rollermobilclub.ch

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2015, 09:30:42 PM »
Really good effort! So nice to see a car being worked on ! More needed on the forum

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2015, 08:14:02 AM »
Great work, and thanks for posting!

piatti

• Chatty
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 04:12:42 PM »
Now, the engine is back in place ! It took much more time to reassemble then expected - but that's normal, isn't it...

for more pics, see: https://www.flickr.com/photos/19867693@N03/albums/72157659494809559
Rollermobilclub Schweiz
www.rollermobilclub.ch

Mark Green

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 11:27:15 PM »
Looking very nice, keep up the good work Oliver!
1958 FriskySport