Author Topic: Number Plates  (Read 4347 times)

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
Number Plates
« on: December 18, 2015, 02:17:01 PM »
Ever since I had motorcycles and then cars in the 1960's I have always looked at the various comic plates on vehicles. Must have been the I-spy book I had in the 1950's that started me off. There is a chap in my road with GY15 PUF. He isn't though but it always gives his students a laugh.
 I would love to know who has "my name" on their cars. RO13 ERT and DOB 1E and one I owned a few years ago V44 RAD, Virgo born in 1944 and my initials.    Just been having a look on the DVLA site and found a great number for an old bearded bloke with a lisp and a red car: KW15 MAS

Have a great Kwismas, sorry, Christmas everyone

Rob.
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

plas man

• Quite Chatty
Re: Number Plates
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 02:38:20 PM »
I have KXG 1 happily resting in my garage , shame really , next to full concors  , must have been the last motor rebuilt from Grandfield Lawrence , not even run in .
its a lack of space storage thing - a Beemer for a Plas !!!

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 12:28:10 AM »
we are abit personal plate mad in my family , my plate is F1SK SR I brought one for gemma reads G3MWY my dads got the best one that reads F1SKY

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 09:07:50 AM »
I never understood the number plate thing, save for genuine good plates like COM1C. If I know the person and his car, then I do not need to see the numberplate to recognise him. If I do not know the person, then most numberplates have become progressively meaningless. Its an expensive addition to motoring costs, a leasehold at that, which does not make the car go any better. I therefore can only assume its a sort of status thing, combined with the need to be different from the crowd. I never really bothered with status, so I am the odd one out there. I find my choices in cars was ever enough to mark me out anyway and I tend to the well used look. No problem standing out from the crowd, if I wanted to or not. By not being the same, you are different. With all the issues that brings.
Since moving I have had endless people comment on Faringdon, when mentioned with cars, that the were no longer weird cars in Lechlade Road. It is extraordinary how many people looked forward to driving past. But I have similar places I can think of where there is something interesting. Maybe being dyslexic the number plate thing passes me by, as generally they are not real words. I know folk who like to road spot them driving around as weird cars in Faringdon. So clearly they must see them, and understand them, much better then I do. Generally the modern ones have to be explained to me.
I do not really see we all do not have personalised numberplates. The cars have their IDs. Things would be a whole lot simpler, as you can only drive one car at once.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 10:08:42 AM »
But Al.  You have a wealth of experience and a keen interest on the value of all vehicles.  It does not matter if the owner is an enthusiast or an investor?
You have no recognition for the value of number plates.

COM 1C used to drive past my works - Paul Danials I believe.
A Business colleague had XJ 642  (or something like that) On a 4.2 XJ6 Jag - Of any value?  Not Personalised but nice on that car.

I sold 33 MHK on my scrap Austin A35 and it paid for the restoration of my Morris Isis (could be of value now)
I sold the SLK 479 number on my Velocette for a handsom sum - the bike went to The Czech Republic where the number would have been of no value.
I put the Morris number LDP 135 on a retainer so as not to loose it.  When there was confusion over the MOT business 1960.

The subject of number plates is varied and not just an image / status issue.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 11:26:29 AM »
My valuation of a plate is on the car. I can understand taking a good plate off for £1000s. But cover plates for a few £100? Often the cars loss of history and place is calculated at more than the value of selling the number. I deduct value for numberless, or dispossessed cars. But I would buy them, and did so from quite a few number plate traders. How does that work? The prices were right, as they knew they had raped the cars, my task was to rebuild an identity out of what was left. I was quite good at it.
I probably could have made a fair bit selling numbers on, but I rarely did so as my respect for the cars, and its history, was greater than my need for the small extra profit available. That is why I really value my 100% original cars. They will not win prizes but they have all their history and are bung right. Once fiddled with, 'restored' or otherwise messed about, they loose that integrity where I can remove a few panels at an event and prove that half the KR200 present are, in fact, wronguns. Including many prize winners, oh dear!  Again I rarely bother, but I have been challenged more than once. It most amusing.

If folk want to trade plates, let them. I think it says all you need to know about our registration system, and the Governments relationship to the car owner. Not fit for purpose, save making money in complicated ways avoiding responsibility. Its no wonder folk from other countries do not understand our system.

So when offered a classic with description Car £500, plate £1,000, I will do a deal on the car. Thing of it is, generally the seller cannot get the plate off. Or if he can he does not want to put it on retention. So in fact the advert is wrong. Then we get to grips with buying the car intact for its correct price.

Lastly, numbers are a leasehold investment. They belong to the State and you agree to rent them. To me that is a poor form of investment, as it can be taken away by the sweep of a pen. If I owned number - well I do. I own numbers but I do not ever include there value in my statistical work, as they are an insecure form of investment, like so much else, ultimately only worth what someone pays for them. If I was after money I should sell of my numbers, save for my best cars to keep and bang the rest out abroad. Thus converting the numbers into cash to invest in something more tangible, like dog biscuits.

The whole topic of numbers is rather vexing.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 01:34:43 PM »
Like most things, the use of 'personal' numbers covers a wide spectrum.

I look at very forced examples and cringe (M16AEL and so on), whereas sometimes I smile (the car always parked outside the local Dentist's surgery, BDS 230) and very occasionally applaud:  JAG 3.4 (with carefully positioned bolt head!), XJ 12, and BMW 520 (all on the correct cars).

My favourite ever was to spot DAV 1 D on the back of a Ferrari ... where the shape of the bodywork indentation required a '"square" number plate, hence DAV on one line, and 1 D on the other.  I was about 12, and thought that surely the owner should fork out for the necessary modification, to allow a one-line plate.  Only in recent years have I understood the owner's real style!

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 02:06:33 PM »
As I said, I sold 33 MHK to a numberplate company - a long time ago.
It went to Mohammed H Khan on a BMW.

Many years later I was driving through Kent and what should pass me?  33 MHK still on the back of a BMW.  What are the chances?