Author Topic: Any help with dateing certificate for uk registering my William city  (Read 3627 times)

Jamesi85

• Just Starting
Hi all I'm Looking to buy a William city but it comes with no paper work
So to register for uk road I need  some headed certificate from manufacturer or forum register? To aid the registration .does any one have any info on this please thsnks james

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
Re: Any help with dateing certificate for uk registering my William city
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 09:05:43 PM »
Was it ever made for uk roads when it was first built ?

Jamesi85

• Just Starting
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 09:38:15 PM »
No mate but has no paper work,I have spoke to dvla an they said I would need a certificate for manufacturers evidence an build date from an owners club or people who made?

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 11:22:36 PM »
Have you joined the Lawil Lambretta Willam Cars Facebook group? A few were imported in the early 1970s, but most have been bought over since. Has it still got a manufacturers plate on it somewhere? It's even possible the Rumcars register already has your car on their records.

http://www.rumcars.org/a-about.html

http://www.crayfordconvertibleclub.com/conversions/william-microcar.html

http://www.microcarfan.com/index.php/marques/74-willam
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Jamesi85

• Just Starting
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 08:42:39 AM »
Yes the plates corroded so numbers can't be seen but just looked on the facebook age an the one I'm looking to buy is on there but by the other previous owner so been about about in short time. So gona message them an get some info cheers

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 09:35:02 AM »
The Mini Comtesse chassis plate caries the French homologation date on it. That is a default date, as it has become an approved French vehicle. European law then means it can be used in Europe, as I understand it (subject to dates of legislation). So many Mini Comtesse are getting dated 1975, despite that they might not actually be a production of that year. Mine (For Sale) is an example of this practice, possibly. Its the first Comtesse to gain British registration, I think.

More will be revealed on the Comtesse topic soon.

Did Willam do the same thing? In which case your answer will be on another car, if you cannot read your plate.

The Crayford I had is no longer here. However it would not really help, as it is not a Lawill/Willam and recorded as its own entity, despite the larger part of the machine being imported. There were enough significant differences that it was classed differently and complied with British rules of the time, not depending on European rulings to create a default registration situation.  It would be interesting to know if the insurers treated a Crayford differently to a similar specification Willam.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jamesi85

• Just Starting
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 09:12:21 AM »
Thanks gig Al to be honest all seems a lot of hassle I may just leave a find one that's already done cheers