Author Topic: Sans Permit French cars  (Read 3011 times)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Sans Permit French cars
« on: January 04, 2016, 07:24:29 AM »
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Sans Permit French cars
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 08:33:55 AM »
For a country with an emptier, and often better, road network, why not?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 10:48:08 AM »
I have 11 pre 1980 versions of the little beasties now.
More fun than a barrel of monkeys once working, but hard to use for actual transport in my suburban Los Angeles environ, as all but the neighborhood streets typically come with a 45 mph speed limit, which is just about exactly double their production legislated top speed.

For Christmas I just bought a skip dozer that I encountered whilst walking in a nearby wood 7 years ago.
It had been sitting sunk into the dirt for 12 years without running
I took a chance and bought it for $1000.
Now I have it well running, but still on site, as I haven't been able to break the bead of the 14.9" x 24" flat rear tire yet.   This despite putting the full downward pressure of the bucket on the bead, whilst standing atop the horizontally placed wheel/ tire, and administering fully hard swung blows with a 12 lb sledge hammer upon an adze placed at just the right angle twixt the bead and rim.
Next will have to be a trailer born ride to an agricultural / industrial tire shop where they presumedly have some more proficient technology and experience needed to accomplish the Herculean task.

The plow in front, and drag box in back are perfectly suited for allowing me to create some sort of interesting roadway on my newly obtained 3.6 acre lot.  Presuming that I learn how to control the machine and make a dirt road, alas, I will have a place to enjoy my test rides with less fear.

P.S. I don't smoke or drink that much beer.  This is the kind of job that where non micro orientated helpers can be most appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 11:07:04 AM by steven mandell »

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 12:45:57 PM »
In most countries, pedestrians are freely allowed to use the roads with absolutely no training or qualification. 

Many of them in Britain even jump red (pedestrian) lights which I think the law does not actually prohibit. 

Admittedly each year some of them die in accidents but a high percentage seem to consider this an acceptable risk in order to cross roads.....

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 01:31:21 PM »
Ah boys toys, The Digger. Yep, I would have to have one if I only had a reason. Should be fine as long as its standard hydraulics with seals off the shelf. Might be worth a sticker in the Sans Permis - 'My other vehicle is a digger'.

Jay walking is a serious offence in some countries, like Germany. In France if you get yourself knocked down it is assumed to be your fault. No violins and blame the nearest driver who stopped to help. I kind of agree with this take care of yourself stance. Car parks are leathel these days. People just walk under your wheels assuming you will stop. Great until they do it out of a blind spot.

Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs