Author Topic: NATIONAL MICROCAR RALLY 2016  (Read 30473 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: NATIONAL MICROCAR RALLY 2016
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2016, 12:30:41 AM »

Thanks grant for the information, it somewhat contradicts a previous explanation but I think that was based on a general overview of previous years. Good to hear from the horses mouth so to speak.
The costs all appear to be up on the site now but were not last time I looked. I agree, the main considerations as far as cost are concerned is the fuel used getting there and back again.

I do somewhat regret asking a few innocent questions, although I finally got them answered it wasnt without feeling I was being reprimanded.

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2016, 12:48:48 AM »
Speaking for myself, I've never been hugely bothered about what folk are kipping in at a National, just so long as there is a National to be present at. The National having been the high point of my year for several years now. I am also immensely proud of the fact that I can claim to have been present at a "real Burford" as well, albeit only for an hour & I don't remember a second of it due to the fact I was only six at the time (the 1987 National), but it all counts don't ya know.  ;)  ;D

As regards costs; how much is one's pleasure & joy worth? (answer; get the price first! Oops, wrong forum!) Peel Rally 2014 cost me over £600 for four days (and I was in a tent & all!) Do I regret a penny of it? Not on your nelly. Everything only happens the once. (think about it!) Get on & get right in there or spend forever wishing you had.

Funnily enough, I was only counting up the other day what I've shown & where, the list coming to nine different vehicles at six different Nationals. (oh yes folks, three times I brought two vehicles, and at Southwell '06 I managed three objects on the line, though most studiously ignored them because they were "only" invalid carriages.) Not bad going I declare, considering I've never had my own transport to shift the things! All being well, a fortnight's time should see the count rising to my tenth different vehicle at the seventh different rally, and once again, like the on-loan Norsjo Shopper last year, one of these has never before been seen at a National, and I hereby announce I am also once again laying open siege to the oft-times coveted Grot award, the real Best-in-Show title as far as I'm concerned...     8)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 01:09:40 AM by Stuart Cyphus »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2016, 08:06:03 AM »
Very true Stuart. The motivation to go is the driver. If that drive is great enough. a cost that might seem excessive to an outsider. is worth it to the guy spending the money. It will be clear, therefore, my motivation slipped after Toddington, and became dented after Quainton. The cost to me of events prior to that, on occasions, was considerable, as I put a great deal of behind the scenes work in before and during events, doing various tasks. In the days when we had loads of our Continental chums coming over, this included putting on a Barbecue in my garden free, to entertain the earlybirds. Taking dead cars back to Dover, free. Rebuilding engines and loaning parts. But when your reward is to be treated like dirt, the shine eventually comes off, even though I enjoyed doing much of what needed to be done, and importantly, it was reciprocated when our chaps went abroad. Save some older Germans who had every reason to have a chip on their shoulder, I never got less than an enthusiastic welcome touring abroad.

It is actually yourself that helps get me along to the meetings now, as its a pleasure to see someone enjoying themselves, despite that we locals pull your leg over it.. You are, quite by a long way, the biggest supporter of the National in an area where there are quite a number of cars - most of which are in permanent hibernation. Depressingly I have attempted to get some interest going in the South west corner of the country for the National, but I fear the response might be poor for the population of cars down there. I am bereft of any further ideas to offer that might change that. The message coming from further north is, its their problem, which is not unreasonable, but it leaves me feeling that opportunity is being missed.

However its up to other folks to do what they think is right, and has been for sometime. I was not going to revisit all this, but kind of had my hand forced by it being the open hunting season. Poor old Bob got rolled in the dirt for popping up asking some quite sensible questions.
I am sure Grenville has done his best, When did he not, But he only has the ammo he is given to throw at these folk. If that is after deadlines, or not a clear cut event, its not going to make the listings, which are normally in preparation at the same time the NMRC are deliberating on where the event will be. I do not make the rules up. Two of the main date diaries are published before Christmas, you do not exist, if your not in them.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2016, 09:58:40 AM »
From the mid 80's onwards values have steadily risen- better spares availability and many of the cars becoming recognized as design icons as opposed to rolling jokes, have pushed up prices. With that comes a different sort of owner, cars end up being restored to a far higher standard, better than when they rolled out of the factory in some cases, and owners see them as little tin idols to be polished and adored rather than driven and used.

If you want to organize ride outs, then organize one. What's the problem? All you need is a time, place, and a few enthusiastic participants. Use the internet and social media to get the word out, cost to the organizer is nil apart from their time plan it out.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2016, 12:13:17 PM »
Assume that is a general observation, apologies if not. Said enough on all this.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2016, 11:16:41 PM »
Just returned from the National and have to say it was the most enjoyable one I can recall. A great venue which I hope we can return to some time. The pitches were enormous!
Many thanks to all involved.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2016, 09:27:12 AM »
I concur for one simple reason. The venue divided neatly with support vehicles to a camp site, with a dedicated parking area beyond. So there was no need for the perimeter of the area for the Show part of the rally to be populated with vehicles that were not meant to be there. Sadly some people still felt walking about 50 yards was to irksome and polluted the area, but short of the organisers chasing out the ignorant, what can you do,

My journey was 3 hours up from Oxford area. For a weekend, no big deal. For the day, an early start and empty roads. As it happened I chose not to follow the expectation of the published map, and head to Shrewsbury (expectation that you have a camper/caravan unsuited to smaller roads, of course). Instead I headed to Whitchuch on the first road north of the M54. I challenged my bump of locality navigation against the idea of putting in a sat nav reference to find Lorton. With no map I actually only made one error on turning left to cross country to gain the more westerly position of the rally. We did a bit of a dogleg, but correctly picked out the crucial turning over a low ridge. This delightful road took us to a cliff steep wold, through some stunningly beautiful countryside devoid of traffic. Low and behold, with Root remembering the name of a Park, we took a few guessed turnings to approach the rally site from the 'wrong' direction. Had I done this route in a micro, or classic, it would have been an integral part of the rally experience, and possibly much of it the route taken the day before to access Cosford. So though my leg was not working to max efficiency, my brain still functions as it had, I can still scoff at the sat nav.

Good to meet old chums, but only a few of the boys from the wastelands of no club membership appeared. Hopefully I helped those asking for help. A few folk were a bit surprised when I deflected offers to buy caches of parts by introducing them to local enthusiasts who might achieve a simpler deal. I am serious about reducing the amount of stuff here, remember that comment for later. Not a big turn out from the South. But the far South West had made an effort, so maybe Bath was sacrificed on the altar of the National this year. Jason impressed with driving a Bond 875 up from Devon. He admitted it was a bit of a hairy driver.

I have no idea if there were more, or less, cars. Would have said a few more. But last years event probably bolstered this years and the feeling on the field was good. Root created the only negative vibes I noticed, which I think might have been slightly calculated on his part. Though his Safari leaving half its rear body on the ground, as he sped round the rows of cars, added to the effect. As did a lot of folk shouting about this, or his velocity, to no effect, as with the engine on, little hearing becomes no hearing. Root expressed surprise that his speed could be greater than 8 miles an hour - the stated limit of the Safari. Well Ray Dilks is still pretty fit, and he could not catch up to tick our budding Paddy Hopkirk off for his antics, till he had stopped. All a bit 'Magnificent Men', only missing a cry of 'Look out, there's another Germam'! Immensely amusing, I thought.
But additionally there were negative comments as to why a pavement carriage was part of a Microcar Rally. Am interesting factor, as one could ask why certain other things were, or were not, on the field of play. There is a never ending debate, if you ever wanted one. For myself I have never been against an area for guest machinery of pretty much any kind to turn up, provided it does not dominate the event. So could the complaints be from folk who's cars demonstrably did not work, being miffed by a beyond the pale device. that did, by dint of the family washing line as throttle, and various other rudimentary temporary repairs? Such was our thinking in the cause of chaos! It livened up a very static day of Show.

The return trip was a reverse route, and of the same time. I previously said to Grant at one point, this shows the Nationals traditional support now being up country. My central position toward the south is a reasonable trip, but along with fewer of those who attend from the south, rather predicts the National remaining further north, than it was in the habit of doing 20 years ago. I met Bob Parry and he, of course, organised some of the best rallies of the lot, at Weston Park, what, some 20 miles south of Wem, at that time. We have reached a point where like the Northerners, who for many years did the hard miles, the Southerners now have to organise and innervate an event or two to prove their point or do the hard miles. The only minus of this is it takes the event further from the ports and reduces the chance of our continental chums coming over to join in. I really miss that. But a few made it, and I hope they were spoiled for the effort by those on the ground.

This venue offers several years worth of trips out. Anderton lift. Canal museum. Ellsmere, Llongollen and railway/canal aqueduct, and I am sure there is more.

On getting home its clear that a running microcar is needed, a refresh of the camping equipment, and I can regain my hobby, while retreating from full time microcar activity. Might sound daft, but there you are. That means getting rid of more stuff. So the laugh was in, and the affor mentioned comment look stupid, as on my email collected while I was out was a treat to go and clear 6 Messerschmitts, in differing conditions, for cash, out of a property being redeveloped. Of course its rude to say no, but its like the cold war. I agree to less arms by treaty, to buy some more surreptitiously. If the deal fruits, I will not be keeping them. But it will have been a busy year 'clearing' this place, by empting both this new place and Oddingley, but I am not complaining.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2016, 10:52:14 AM »
There were so many good things about the venue. It was the first time me, Planty and friends felt no need to leave the site in the evening looking for a good pub. The on site cafe served good food at reasonable prices, the bar and social hall was all reserved for us although I have to say that when the hired band started playing on the Saturday night they cleared the room in 10 seconds as all beat a hasty retreat into the cafe area! This is what happens when you dont hire Bob and the Bubblers! :lol:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB-H3nUbhkY
As I said before, the individual camping pitches were so big! Me and Planty had a pitch each because its a site rule that only one tent of camper occupy a pitch. My chum Steve also had a pitch adjoining with his car on it which he kipped in so together we had a half a football pitch. It felt a little wasteful if anything. On Sunday the public failed to recognise the pitch markers and we ended up with strangers vehicles parked on our pitches and two family picnics going on! As we had so much space nobody cared. Previous fears about under canvas dwellers subsidising campervans appeared to be unfounded at this rally although I'm sure that has not always been the case in the past. I have no complaints at all. One poor old boy tripped over one of mike guy rope pegs and landed face down, I did feel sorry for him especially as he had a metal knee. He appeared unharmed after we got him to his feet. There was some swearing but we pointed out that it was a camp site and he was cutting across our pitch so he soon shut up. Following my recent key losing episode I trumped it by leaving the Bobette key at home so upon arrival was unable to even drive the car to park up! Idiot! Still I was able to get started by an old trick which I had better not talk about on a public forum for security reasons but suffice to say, 1950's car security is not wonderful! :lol:
The Saturday run was quite eventful with many wrong turns taken and much doubling back. At one point a road junction looked like a WW2 dog fight with microcars approaching and crossing paths from all directions, hilarious! Quite a few breakdowns, Dave Millers Bond was acting up and Poor old Jamie Cooke on his first rally run had a problem with plug fouling and then later clutch slipping in the Heinkel but finished the course never the less. My freshly rebored villiers decided to nip up momentarily twice whilst hill climbing but carried on regardless and finished the course unembarrassed.
I was also chuffed to be handed a small trophy shield after handing in the large returnable peoples choice shield from last years win. That was a nice touch, being given a little momento of the previous years win compensated for having to give the big one back. I also picked up another prize which included a years subs for Rumcar news which was appreciated. After a pretty trouble free return home on the M1/M25 which is a miricle in its self, I will remember the event as one of the best I have attended.

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2016, 06:15:15 PM »
My sentiments exactly, though one thing Bob has not mentioned is if any future micro event is held at the site, be sure to pack a mallet if camping!  ;)

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2016, 05:29:52 PM »
Sounds like a great NMCR shame I couldn't make it . I do hope Grant and Mike Hele received the new Bond moulding strip that I asked Nick Mander to pass on 😏
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2016, 12:38:30 PM »
I've now added the gallery pages to the NMCR website.

http://national-microcar-rally.co.uk/nmcr2016.html
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Mark Green

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2016, 03:01:13 AM »
Thank You for the Great pictures! Sure makes me miss being back in the UK for the NMCR!
1958 FriskySport

vincymol

• Just Starting
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2017, 10:34:54 AM »
Good to see you back on the Rumcar Form

« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 06:32:38 AM by vincymol »