Author Topic: 1950's Nutshell Micro-Caravan  (Read 3201 times)

Caiptean

1950's Nutshell Micro-Caravan
« on: February 01, 2016, 07:21:05 PM »
It has been a few years since I used to own a Bond Minicar let alone drive one everyday although I still have my 1950's Nutshell caravan kept in storage.

I believe just six survive in various conditions; four being in Scotland and two in England. The Nutshell shouldn't be confused by the later 1960's Raleigh Mini-Caravan. I seem to recall the manufacturers of the Nutshell (L. Stewart & Sons of Dundee) sold the design to Raleigh of Peckham although to the trained eye the two are very different beasts indeed.

I used to tow it behind a Mk.F Ranger Van (at one time having to return home from Cumbria to Sussex with relative ease on a 197cc barrel) so the Nutshell is eminently practical behind some makes of microcar. I've also camped in it during winter and they are surprisingly warm.

I've not used the Nutshell for a number of years and am considering selling it so somebody else can enjoy its comforts. However, in a world that appears to thrive on vintage cars on trailers does anyone know what interest there might be in micro-caravans these days?

Barry

• Prolific Poster
Re: 1950's Nutshell Micro-Caravan
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 10:31:56 PM »
Welcome Colin.

Very interesting and I am sure we would all look forward to seeing a few photos.

There was a thread on here about the Raleigh caravan some time ago and I am sure someone will dig it out.

Caiptean

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 10:51:04 PM »
Barry,

Thanks; I have photos but since moving house I'm not sure where.....

I used to have a Raleigh mini-caravan as well but chose to restore the Nutshell as it is by far the prettier of the two as well as being older. It was restored by my father and I to near-original condition; we made a couple of subtle internal modifications to make it far more practical to use. I also have the original awning which is simple but very effective.

When looked at in profile the Nutshell has curved (bowed) ends and the base tapers to a fine point at the leading edge. In comparison the Raleigh has straight ends (front is vertical /rear is sloped) and there isn't the same fine point at the leading edge. The windows on the Raleigh were smaller (& slightly smoked) and the interior finish somewhat crude by comparison.

However, both are charming and hopefully the Raleigh was restored although I've long forgotten where or who it went to.

Kind regards,

Colin

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 06:58:43 AM »
Good Morning Colin.

I have resurrected the old post on Raleigh Caravan etc.  It was in 'off Topic Lounge'.

Caiptean

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 07:43:10 AM »
Barry,

I have added some information to the resurrected Raleigh topic for you.

Kind regards,

Colin