Author Topic: Which Micro car was sold at Harrods department store  (Read 11953 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Which Micro car was sold at Harrods department store
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2016, 04:04:39 PM »
Hmm, that is not what I remember. Harrods is about over the top service and making the client feel special. AUA was about first finding me, and then convincing me you really wanted to buy something. Learned the Grumpy Motor Sales technique from several successful folk, who refused to waste time. Funny, one of them moved on to teach people to drive.... Not sure how that worked! Mum had a friend who worked at Liberty's. She was a great desk driver in dealing with the public. Its a gift, or skill, no doubt.

Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2016, 05:08:22 PM »
Still waiting to learn the answer to this thread's first question!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2016, 10:42:37 AM »
Learned the Grumpy Motor Sales technique from several successful folk, who refused to waste time. Funny, one of them moved on to teach people to drive.... Not sure how that worked!
Perhaps in retrospect you can now see that the technique only added an additional layer of effort to an already overly difficult overseas transaction with a micro newbie.
With all your travelling about, I chalked it up to your being more flighty than grumpy back then. ::)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2016, 11:02:39 AM »
I undoubtedly lost trade. But was it a price worth paying in not having to deal with endless tyre kickers. I used to get people turning up, without an appointment, expecting to look at the cars while they were driving the wife around the area. They had no intention of buying anything. They were looking for a free museum. All things from that, through spies, to people using me to value their cars. If I had serviced all enquiries I would never have got out to get the stock I needed to create the interest generated and on which I partially lived. Remember I was doing courier work at the same time so each appointment to view was a potential delivery job turned down. I made a commitment to wait an hour after the agreed time, then I got about my business again.
You would be amazed how many people would drift up 4 hours late and be most surprised to be told I was in Coventry on a job. That is not a great way to start a negotiation, and few of those types ended up with a car. Again it showed their level of real interest.
My heart would sink if they bought the wife/girl friend. Most of them did not buy. Either it was banned as the partner did not like the car, or the bribe to get the car in a holiday, fridge or what ever made the deal to expensive. Buyers were 95% male. That said half the lasses that bought were brilliant fun. So there are good 'uns out there. Just not enough to go round.

Its the Bamby Marcus, to put you out of your misery.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2016, 11:53:37 AM »
Cheers Al1
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face