Author Topic: bond 875 just came up for grab  (Read 17860 times)

messyman

• messerschmitt kr200, frisky, isetta 300
  • Quite Chatty
  • messyman motors
bond 875 just came up for grab
« on: February 09, 2016, 10:50:58 PM »
just been offered a bond 875 car in poor state ''which is how I normally buy my cars'' what's the parts situation with these types of micros ....I no most engine stuff is Hillman imp or summit but more info would be nice ......!
pictures will follow as soon as it lands
messyman restorator of rust relics vw or bubblecars
www.vw-specials.forumotion.com
Messerschmitt kr200 x2 ,frisky family 3 mk1 shell,isetta 300 lhd chassis, vw polo,vw caddy mk1 , t4 , mini , my dad has 2x Messerschmitt kr175

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
Re: bond 875 just came up for grab
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 06:10:10 PM »
Grab now, regroup later.
At the very very worst, you will have parts to sell. ;D

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 06:32:39 PM »
The engine was the lowest powered Hillman Imp Van, based on the Husky version, apparently tuned down from the saloons with a low compression engine. All the ancillaries will therefore be of that base vehicle, like the AC fuel pump. The front suspension and steering are pure Bond. I really am then at a loss to know. But these parts will be from the manufacturers parts bins..
Bond 875 are always treated as if they are valueless. That is unfair. However they are a pretty hairy thing to drive. They should be embraced as nothing like this would be allowed to exist now. Their worst habit is to get wind under the front of the car. This can be wind, or your right foot pressure. Either way many have chosen to add weight to the front of the car. You need not worry about a lack of power, there is more than the car can cope with!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 02:17:27 PM »
A tuned Imp engine would give 150bhp per ton.

Probably not a good idea with that chassis though!  ;D
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 03:50:07 PM »
I still think the camber action Bond steering is quite clever. It suffers quite rapid wear apparently. I never did the miles to find out! It would probably have worked if it had actually been bolted to a much more solid bulkhead assembly. Its there I get ever so slightly scared. What happens at 90 when you hit a bit of wood in the middle of the road, no sorry it was a French Fridge at regulo 7.
Is it a standard Mk of 875 or one of the rather more trimmed Two Strokes versions?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

powerdrive

• POWERDRIVE
  • Chatty
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 07:55:49 PM »
Hi messyman  I owned a bond 875 for 6 years and there is nothing to fear apart from driving it above 60 mph  ;D . parts ways pretty much everything as you said is hillman imp  including rear suspension brakes etc I was told the steering box was a left hand drive standard 8/10  one !? But the front suspension was pretty reliable as was the car in general  was but like Al said the are too fast for there own good while they are very light at the front at sensible speeds the are fine just don't lift off in a corner , and running the tyre Presure around 16 psi transformed the handling I also managed to squeeze a 155 radial on the front which made a huge difference. But made it heavy on the steering . On the subject of steering . The lock is pathetic even a really tight bend can land you on the wrong side of the white lines . But there is no chassis rot to worry about . They don't have one good luck  Gary
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 07:33:47 PM by powerdrive »

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 06:33:05 PM »
Hi messyman  I owned a bond 875 for 6 years and there is nothing to fear apart from driving it above 60 mph.   On the subject of steering . The clock is pathetic even a really tight bend can land you on the wrong side of the white lines .
What are you intending to convey here?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 07:27:35 PM »
Clock, typo for lock. Steering turning circle is large.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 05:10:24 PM »
Evidently Bonds have been designed by extremists with little regard for brand tradition.
The only Bond that I ever saw making a U turn did so within the space of its own wheelbase!

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 05:34:44 PM »
The original Minicar (now known as Mk A) was also fairly poor in its turning circle - or perhaps it just feels that way after driving a later version.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 06:23:03 PM »
The turning circle of the 875 was a product of its novel progressive cambering steering. Clearly you can only camber up a single wheel so far before you compromise steering at speed. Add the flimsy nature of the bulkhead in the car to cope with the exponetial force of drag and I will settle for the lesser turning circle. But is it a poor turning circle? Compared with what? The main run of Minicars, and the Equipes had seriously good turning circles, Is this a case of expectation not meeting with fulfilment. I do not recall it being a problem. THe car was nimble enough to use the road surface to avoid reverse in some cases, just rolling back, as in a Schmitt.
The turning circle that was more of a problem was that of the front's angle to the road and any sort of steering from the front wheel at all.

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 03:33:08 PM »
Having owned a Plas for more than 40 years that should say it all !

Most question's have been answered , most important check the steering downtube for cracking/fractures at the bend'y bit , and same check's on the  bulkhead brackets that hold the steering to the car .
Top and bottom steering bush's are easy replaced as well as track rod ends (mini) ,
Check rear sub frame for crack's/corrosion (its a pain to re-new).
Also worth fitting a front radiator (car heater one is big enough) .

Most important this car has floating back plate to the front brake , I have known the clayfex arm to snap at its fixing bolt/bush , this must be kept in tip top condition .
Also the front brake is a common excuse for MOT failure's as the tester (the younger ones) wont know the back plate moves

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 04:35:09 PM »
A guy in the shipyard where I worked in the 70s with an 875 was fond of misquoting Muhammad Ali that his Bond "floated like a butterfly and stung like a butterfly"

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 04:54:13 PM »
The turning circle of the 875 was a product of its novel progressive cambering steering. Clearly you can only camber up a single wheel so far before you compromise steering at speed. 
The turning circle that was more of a problem was that of the front's angle to the road and any sort of steering from the front wheel at all.
I know nothing of Bond steering mechanism - so neither of theses statements make any sense to me yet.
Has anyone got a diagram/ article that they can post that will explain what is being mentioned here?
Does the progressive element of the first statement vary with speed or suspension compression?
Does the latter statement refer to some sort of bump steer?
Any typos mucking up meaning again?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 07:11:30 PM »
No no. The steering yolk allows the front wheel to turn, as normal, but as it takes on more angle it leans it over. More like a motorcycle. Speed is no real element, nor suspension compression, to this action. I understand with the balance of the car improved they behave really rather well. But as has been said. Regular checks and early servicing are best action with this unusual system. But it would not be a Bond if it were normal, would it?

My second comment is a observation humour based on the ability of this car to pull wheelies at will, or due to wind getting under the front of the car. I recall rescuing Martin Surgison (Spelling) from a crash on the A40 where his 875 was blown clean of the road, upside down into a hedge while on the way to Burford Rally. Martin is probably best remembered for his orange fur covered Isetta. Someone must have a pic of that somewhere.

Frankly, as a owner of mad and overpowered trikes I think the Bond 875 is made for you, Steve. You can put a 5 bearing 1,000cc screamer racing engine straight in, or a Simca/Pug machined oversize unit. But seeing as a standard one driven by Dabbs overtook me on the way to the Dutch Rally chasing a 750cc triple Berkeley, chasing a Porche 911, with its front wheel about 3 foot off the ground and not backing off, I am not sure you need the extra power! I did the only thing a Schmitter could do. I hid behind the nearest truck going a bit faster than I could cruise at. It was a mad day on the Autobahn.