Author Topic: New VED Tax changes  (Read 1993 times)

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
New VED Tax changes
« on: February 19, 2016, 05:22:50 PM »
I do not do modern cars so I have lost touch with the latest tax regime.
The the tax system is to change significantly next year.  I hadn't realised so was interested to see this link elsewhere:

New VED road tax rules: plan ahead for 2017 UK car tax changes
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 06:05:33 PM by Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker) »

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
Re: New VED Tax changes
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 09:31:45 PM »
That's a fair-enough description of the charges - but it seems to be written specifically to annoy:  it mentions "road tax" no less than 32 times.  Even though it hadn't been road tax since ... 1937!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 08:28:45 AM »
Makes old larger cc cars like my BX 1.7 TZD expensive at £240 a year. But no doubt the counter argument would be that it 'pollutes more', which. off course, it doesn't, as it has had 27 years, and counting, of meeting its total pollution debt in service, where as the new cars have that capitol pollution cost to pay off from new. How many will make 15 years?
The key phrase for me  is in that the Government is certain it has the right to change the rules as its not getting enough money. This is one of the 'new' taxes introduced to help fund for war. Clearly were still fighting it, since the tax is still there. Plus you do what is alleged to be the right thing, your reward, more tax. Great! Why not stop spending money, you wastrels?  Clearly such a system demands the contempt it deserves and given pre '60 cars are tax free that is the class of car to drive out here in the boondiks. Besides why would I want one of the raft of appalling looking cars being marketed having looked at Autocars new car supplement while waiting for an MOT? No thanks.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

tripleme

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 08:30:30 AM »
more and more tax..

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 09:14:18 AM »
More and more wastrels.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs