Author Topic: 1958 Goggomobile T400 on Ebay  (Read 4852 times)

Ralfy

• Just Starting
1958 Goggomobile T400 on Ebay
« on: February 23, 2016, 06:07:01 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Goggomobil-1958-T400-/252296085306?hash=item3abe04bf3a:g:C18AAOSwQYZWyujC

Nice 1958 T400 Goggomobil

Needs restoration but overall a good candidate. Currently runs and drives.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
Re: 1958 Goggomobile T400 on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 11:09:30 AM »
I don't understand what I missed out on.
Upon first viewing it shows up as a poster for a Goggomobile 400.
But the next set of 8 pictures show what looks like a restored car.
Yet the newbie who posted it describes it as needing a full restoration.

BTW Ralphy, Welcome to the group, and thank you very much for taking the time to enlighten us about this item of interest.

Do you live in Alaska?
If so, is it within reasonable driving distance from you?

Granted the relatively giant, probably sourced from a full sized American car, starter sitting atop the air cleaner is completely out of place and does not bode well for the functional state of the original Dynastart unit.
Probably most indicative of unfamiliarity, as it looks like more energy was put into creating the very original, but very wrong fix, than would have been likely necessary to fix the admittedly hard to source Dynastart unit.

Does the electrical system recharge the battery in its present configuration?

Is it still unsold?

What other information originally was included with this listing?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 11:20:07 AM by steven mandell »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 11:26:13 AM »
I could not make out exactly what he was advertising. The pictures were of a reasonable car, but the script referenced nothing in the pictures. Not enough information. Bullshit detector registered something being hidden. Other than its Anchorage and thus twice the price of anywhere else to get stuff from.

The starter looks like it has been replaced, or assisted, by an old ride on lawn mower dynostart. But the entire assembly gains no mention in the scribble. It would be a nice car to own but you need to be a lot more informative to get a purchase than that.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 12:08:53 PM »
Usual advice, don't buy any car on the internet based on the photos unless you can afford to take a gamble. On Ebay, at least you can check the sellers feedback (as a seller) to get some vague idea. In this instance there isn't any feedback to check, so again, you really need to see the car or ask the seller a lot of questions  - I don't know what the asking price was, but could be a bargain or could be a shiney heap of trouble illustrated with photos taken a few years ago in a favourable light. Not everyone is gifted with writing brilliant adverts, but then again, this could be the guy's first. I would guess it probably runs, shifts and drives well, but "solid candidate for a full restoration" would suggest that's probably not for much longer. The first photo has been digitally "enhanced" to give it a bit of a grungy look, I'd guess - as this doesn't do the car any favours - this also reflects a novice seller.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 09:52:55 AM »
I did have a lengthy chat with the seller.
He is a novice in the micro car world, as one might suspect of anyone living in Alaskan isolation.
But he is of high standards and integrity, restoration of Porsche 356, and 911's being his true gig.
He paid a princely sum for the car in a deal to purchase some very valuable Porsche engines, with intention of defraying his costs.
I believe, despite its terribly incorrect Dynastart, that it is an unrusted good car that he is holding up to a standard that the cars were never built to in the first place.

I advised him to make the extra effort to try to sell it in Alaska, as the price of transport would both devalue his selling price to a non local, and increase the amount that a it would be worth to a suitably enculturated Alaskan.   Not to forget, those oil money pay checks need something silly to be spent on when you get tired of counting caribous.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 06:37:37 PM »
I would love it. But as we discussed, Steve. I fear it will be way beyond my budget.

A number of Goggomobil Dealerships here in the UK become Porsche dealers, and two are now top end traders. Goggomobil tended not to sign up with microcar dealerships. I think that might have been an attempt to go 'up market' from the more basic offerings that were often sold by a bigger bike dealer who signed up for any of the Bubble/Microcar products. Like Groombridge, for instance. Or Lee of Rushdon.
Anyway, it is thus no surprise to me that a Goggo might be found lurking with some Porsche. H. Glas and F. Porsche had a working relationship.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 09:52:26 AM »
I would love it. But as we discussed, Steve. I fear it will be way beyond my budget.

Anyway, it is thus no surprise to me that a Goggo might be found lurking with some Porsche. H. Glas and F. Porsche had a working relationship.
You are correct Al, as he paid $9,000 for it.
Could have been interesting if they had ever decided to build a Goggomobile with a Porsche engine. ::)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 11:03:57 AM »
The Goggomobil / Isar / Isard 600/700 range had a Porsche inspired gearbox. SAdly the engine was not that reliable. It was relaunched and proved a bit better, but the car is now a rarity.