Author Topic: Bond hoods.  (Read 17087 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Bond hoods.
« on: March 15, 2016, 08:59:42 AM »
Where does one go to get a Bond hood made these days. MkD in particular. Anyone had one made recently? Any recommendations?  Thanks

super-se7en (Malc Dudley)

• Quite Chatty
  • Two Frisky sports
Re: Bond hoods.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 12:11:57 PM »
I have had hoods fitted to my both friskies within the past 9 months and the quality has been excellent.They quote 3-4 weeks and take 8 but they are worth waiting for.Based in Wolverhampton they are Aldridge Trimmers.

• Quite Chatty
  • Two Frisky sports
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 03:07:25 PM »
Yes they are purpose made and that way you get an excellent fit. They will make or re trim side screens as well.

• Quite Chatty
  • Two Frisky sports
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 04:26:47 PM »
Here is the blue sport at the restoration show last week showing the fit of the hood.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 05:25:34 PM »
I do appreciate that that is required now , but back in the day Bonds were churning out cars in quantity I wonder why no hood maker is offering to make 20 or so ? I wonder if they have been asked ever ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 08:59:57 PM »
I suppose it'd be a risky investment for any hood manufacturer: 20 hoods is about £8000, and how would they decide what is wanted? Two-seater or family? Red or beige? Original frames or later?  I suspect the windscreen "pegs" and edge clips might well vary, too - especially when there'll have been various restorations or repairs in each car's history. 

A hood can't be that hard to make - the very first time I used a sewing machine, when I was 15, was to make one for the C-Family I'd just bought.  I admit I used red canvas, but it did fit properly!

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 09:26:45 AM »
Here is the blue sport at the restoration show last week showing the fit of the hood.
Incredible restoration of an early version, but I can't read the note on the window. :-[

Is the color the "xxx Green" that underlies any other colored Sports outer paint layer?
Do the xxx have a genetic predisposition to color blindness?
Was there originally a layer of primer sprayed by the factory under that?
Wonder if the "xxx" element of this nomenclature owes its origin to  Henry Meadows' brief but seriously intended incursion into the Middle Eastern market.
I wonder if these questions will bring John out of his cave again.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 07:20:58 PM by Chris Thomas »

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 09:31:05 AM »
More on topic.
Malcolm- How do you suppose I could most cost effectively have a hood and it's entire supporting structure made for mine?

• Quite Chatty
  • Two Frisky sports
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 02:14:14 PM »
The colour of my blue sport is not turk green but some enamel paint i had in stock ref 112.
I made two hood frames out of stainless steel strip from a pattern of an original frame lent to me and no i will not make any more.
I had to use pyramid bending rolls to replicate the oval supports. I do have a spare white hood for my red sport.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 05:30:49 PM »
Obviously well done.
But why keep a spare, and is that why you made two frames?

• Quite Chatty
  • Two Frisky sports
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 05:59:57 PM »
I made two frames because i have two sports.
My red "Monte Carlo" sport has a white hood and the blue sport has a blue mohair hood.
The reason i have a spare white hood is that they fitted a white one on the blue car by mistake.

john Meadows

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 11:02:40 PM »
hello Steven
very comfy in my cave thank you.
Turk green existed well before the Frisky
Meadows never marketed the Frisky in the middle east
Malcolms cars are excellent both restored from a state similar  to your Sport.
Why not consider sorting out your Family three instead its a comparatively simple restoration
Oh well! back to my cave
John

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 10:16:33 AM »
I did not mean to imply that Sports were MARKETED in the Middle East.
I was instead referring to the several "Phoenix projects" proposed with supposed intention of manufacture and sale in Egypt, as well as the earlier connection with the Cairo Motor Car Company.

Please enlighten us as to the body and hood color combinations that were offered for the Sports.
I am obviously still a big fan of your family's family of cars, including the Family Three.
Gee I got to say family three times.
How's that for apparent, but non actual redundancy?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 10:41:20 AM by steven mandell »

john Meadows

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 08:45:10 PM »
The Cairo Motor company did have a connection with the phoenix cars  projects as both were owned by Raymond Flower. they had nothing to do with Meadows. RF lost them all in the Egyptian Troubles hence his enforced time in the UK along with all the other ex pats. I believe he only built in Egypt around six phoenix cars based upon the Morris minor clad in an open topped body and a single Phoenix racing car which he brought to the UK. It was meant to race under the Egyptian Purple racing colors but events conspired to prevent it. Neither were prototype friskys which was a Meadows UK based project.
Hope that helps, back to my cave
John
PS lots of info on RF and his activities on www.meadowsfrisky.co.uk

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 05:32:03 PM »
Was a white hood a wrong color for a Turk green Sport body?