Author Topic: Bond hoods.  (Read 16997 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Bond hoods.
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2016, 06:43:06 PM »
But none ever have a hood 😉
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2016, 06:49:44 PM »
Not surprising to hear that Als anti Bond Club predudice has extended to the new facebok group . The chat has been most informative and recently there has been much about roofs and hoods in particular and has stayed on topic  :D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 07:09:17 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2016, 07:32:15 PM »
Not anti. Merely factual. They may do as they wish. But do not complain when that means loosing out.

I seem to recall the Mackintyre Mk A, which had a B screen if I remember correctly, had the old soft top with it. Since no one in Britain was interested in it, it went to a BOC member in Holland. I am not sure where that car is now, as that lot got split, but I feel it was the one recently for sale in Holland. So there was one roof that could have been copied. If it is still with the car, and its whereabouts are known, then there you go. But I recall the guy was excommunicated, so the trail might be cold if the records are not up to date. The very reason for talking to the world, rather than just the converted nodding heads. But I do not make the rules up.

Of course the amusing thing about this car was Chris Gordon found it after BOC, or its agents, had finally been given the all clear to remove all Bond stuff from Mackintyres. They missed this complete car in the process. Chris found he was getting nowhere with it after a few years, despite being based conveniently in Moseley, B'Ham, wondering if it was because he had got the car in the way he had. Anyway he had a chop up with me. for some projects he had,  for something I had, BSA Trike? If do this same BSA traded for a Frisky as it was with Martin MacKeever for a while and attended a Hengrave Hall. You cannot get away from Frisky's, you know. Chris became a good contact until he passed away. Helped ID and place some rare stuff like the La Locombe, and a shed of old timers I found in France. This Mk A formed one of three that went to Jan van Stratton. One of those went on to Switzerland. All this happened long before 19th of Feb, but I thought it might be interesting to all save goldfish, who will not remember the last time I mentioned some of it.  :o  ;D

Oh. George has reminded me that 'Pimpy' Caulter had a soft top on his car out on the Gala Peninsula. Think that was a B, but running a larger Villiers.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 07:37:07 PM by Big Al »
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2016, 08:51:03 AM »
Seems like it could be more expeditious to consult the encyclopedia of Al right here on this forum, before philandering with a Facebook group.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2016, 08:59:39 AM »
Oh my mistake steven I had no idea that Al had made hood rails and hoods for Bonds , whyever  didnt he say ? A lot of contributors on the facebook group have , I must tell them !

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2016, 11:18:20 AM »
Al said "... the one recently for sale in Holland. So there was one roof that could have been copied."

I'm confused.  Why would you go all the way to Holland if you wanted to copy a Mk A hood?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2016, 03:02:30 PM »
Oh dave dont ruin old als bit of fun , hes been been telling these stories for as long as we can remember , tales of daring do and selling across the water cos no-one wanted him or the cars , never let reality get in the way of a good story 🙂 Of course it would be cheaper , easier and more fun to join the Bond Club and do it properly but that doesnt fit ! Go to Holland track down a bond and copy a hood rather than the obvious 😀

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2016, 10:16:05 AM »
It was at that time of the triple Bond deal the Bond Club parted from me, even though I had sold to a Bond Club member. So my ability to be in the Club was removed at that time. I believe Jan was also let go. Since not trading I have not had, nor wished to own, a Bond, so a reapplication to the Bond Club was not made. I can make known what I know about Bonds, which isn't much. But I do not see how being a Bond Club member alters the value of the information. Its either right, or wrong, helpful, or not.

That leaves the facts of the thing. I admit to being a bit naughty in bringing up the Mackintyre car. Richard is right there. But had the Bond Club taken it in, it would probably be in circulation and the hood been copied. Sadly it was missed, its story is told in brief. I make no recommendation on who does what. But at the time, and possibly now, there is an original period top that could be copied. From that info several things transpire.

1/ A good register inclusive of all cars would know where it is, and record the fact. That could well be in Stan's files, or whatever, for all I know. I just hope the register is not counting Bonds in the Club. Clearly its stats will be incorrect dealing with any questions outside the Club.

2/ If I am correct about the hood, then the information and example exist.

3/ Anyone inventing there own version that is not as an original, does not own a concourse car, in my opinion. For the motivated distance is no object. For everyone else (possibly everybody) that sort of detail is not worth the effort to chase down. That’s not for me to decide

4/ But by the same token, it is beholden to a Club, in my opinion, to always attempt to resource originality where available, catalogue it, and make it freely available to members if, and when, the question arises. I find I am in a minority here, as most clubs I have belonged to have conspicuously ducked this tenant of quality of service. That in turn lowers the bar on accuracy of restoration, leading to cars not being quite as well restored to original as they might otherwise be. To me that is poor service to the marque allegedly supported.
Why do you think I am currently spending a day or so a week digging up a garden 65 miles away removing every last Invalid Carriage item that can be found? It is not to make money. The rapist was there before me and bought all the 'good' bits. I am happy to admit I will gain a return out of it to. But that is more due to my ability to spot a bargain in other stuff there. But the real irreplaceable value is in the unobtanium, and associated oddities that come to. Often of no monitory value at all, but things of great worth to those interested, as they are a resource and springboard to further exploration, or just getting some detail bung on right. Like, now, three Ministry Garage sets, complete with a few asbestos cement panels. Most would leave them there, or reprocess the angle iron into shelves, or something. And there is the difference. Active conservation and restoration, or going along with it, until it gets to hard to be bothered. We all have the choice. Bare in mind how many of us pay to go in museums to goggle at just such uselessness as Ministry Garages.

So the challenge that remains is can you, anyone, join the Bond Owners Club, 'and do it properly'? Well from what I have read so far, eer, no. But you can get pretty close. For most folks that might be good enough, marvellous! But do not be to upset if a Dutchman turns up with an original version on a beautifully restored car and kicks sand in your face. (Of course there is then the tried and tested method of everyone telling him he is wrong. As in Messerschmitts were never converted for use by the disabled! - well, yes they were, easy to prove, and several cars used to exist!. For some reason this fact is beyond the pale and most histories eradicate it, See point 4/ above. Also Richard has more knowledge about my life, than I do, so the process has already started on new hoods being the correct ones over any original hood that might turn up later. You see how it works).

As another for instance. Ponder the Peel just auctioned. At the price and blarney this should be the bench mark of Peel P50s. Fact is, its not, is it? But what does this inaccuracy, backed by big money, mean to those very original Peel P50, without any provenance to go with them? Is what I am talking about important to the genuine enthusiast of the car, as well as the investor? Where is the obvious control and centre for accurate information to arbitrate? its either the clubs, or its motivated individuals who have made a study of the subject, Step forward Stuart for Invalid Carriages. If their wrong, or inaccurate, all fails.

But I might be making all this up.

Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2016, 03:28:51 PM »
how many bonders have the hood up ?
I would say side screens/fly screens (to aid breathing)  are a must , after all you cant feel the cold as everything around is the same temperature .

Like the Hard Top lot that fit sunroof's .

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2016, 05:43:04 PM »
Hurrah! That's the way to do it. Can I mention Tonneau covers?

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2016, 07:07:39 PM »
Yes Alan, by all means but PLEASE start a new thread then things don't get so confused.  Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2016, 09:07:38 PM »
Before Al goes off on tonneaus 😀 Is he in any way going to explain what a Mackintyre car is or HOLD ON !! Could anyone else tell us first 😀

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2016, 09:46:12 PM »
I was being naughty again, mentioning tonneau covers, which are a different topic, but to my mind humerus after such a debate, and the simple answer of not needing the thing under debate by driving with no top. No heaving shoulders once an explanation is needed, sadly, unless in consternation of a failed quip. 

I fear that the tale of Mackintyre's old dealership with Bond Cars is likewise a different topic, one that has been mention previously sometime ago.  The bulk of the story probably exists in old copies of Bond Info and but for the ending, will be far better researched.

In the interest of sticking to the point, and as hinted at, I think that is enough of these topics here., from me. Back to the plot in hand.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2016, 09:06:28 AM »
Only 4 mentions of Mackintyre in the search , with that spelling , all from this week . Would love to know the gossip - if its on topic of course. Oh and none under McIntyre
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 09:09:35 AM by richard »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2016, 10:13:05 AM »
No good asking me about spelling. There are several versions, plus the good chance I have invented another. I am sure its in back issues of Bond Info. My knowledge of that business is very limited. I never got involved directly, only in the aftermath.

Topic: Another Bond A query  (Read 2072 times) This was what I was remembering. Did not mention Macintyres that time, probably to keep the piece, but the rest of the info is there. Found in seconds. Shows the search works if you ask the right question. Not always as easy as it sounds!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 10:19:53 AM by Big Al »