Author Topic: World Record  (Read 2287 times)

milnes

• Quite Chatty
I need to stop buying!

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
Re: World Record
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 06:12:27 PM »
I've added my comment on the Mail website as I owned the Clarkson P50 in 1976!
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 10:28:12 AM »
I bet you wish you owned it now! How could we have dreamed in the early days that microcars would now be fetching such silly prices?  The  would be even more of a hazard in today's traffic, yet they out price far more 'practical' classic cars.  It has certainly put a damper on our 'fun' hobby!  Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 11:30:10 AM »
Personally Jean I think they are mad ! But I am sure the bubble will burst . When someone really produces a belter of  a new one , no one will pay this again . My opinion but If I had an original Peel I would sell out quick ! 😏 Only time will tell
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 01:42:51 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 12:03:52 PM »
The whole classic car scene is in a big bubble. So care should be taken to own what you want to own. If you are not so sure, be sure it neither owes you much, nor costs much to keep it. If and when the bubble bursts you might be stuck with a few projects for a long time before you get a chance to get your money back. For those who flip, you take the chances.

I note that quite a few collectors are currently clearing out a bit, slimming the stock, but trading up into cars formally unaffordable, but now within reach due to the excessive advance in microcar prices. Makes sense.

A look at the market sees some very interesting machinery in the not wanted department, for what ever reason. So the bargains are still there to be had, there just not Microcars anymore.

I have lurched further into '60's ride on lawn mowers this week, buying two for very little money. Does all a small microcar does, same challenges to rebuild, but no silly paperwork and cheap as chips. Two more beckon. Who needs microcars?

As to the top end prices. Art and fashion are fickle friends. I am not into either, so I am happy to let them waste their money with wide boys. But the reality is most of those folk are actually into money, they just choose to wear it, or hang it up in view. I prefer mine coated in crud and hewn from the cobwebbed sheds of those who bought it as a tool to do a job. If I have taste I get to have what is later fashionable before the wealthy discover it. Much more fun, really.

I no longer want a Peel, unless of course I can bang it on for a nice little earner. Same goes for a lot of microcars actually.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs