Author Topic: Another original P50 found?  (Read 8187 times)

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
Another original P50 found?
« on: April 14, 2016, 02:54:57 PM »
You decide!
http://globalnews.ca/news/2637779/worlds-rarest-car-restored-in-okanagan/
There is also a video there if you want to watch it, only 2 minutes long.

text from the article if you don't want to click the link:
World’s rarest car restored in Okanagan
KELOWNA, B.C. –
It’s called the Peel P50, a three-wheeled microcar and one of the original few manufactured in the 1960’s is set to be restored in the Okanagan Valley.

Dave Thompson is spearheading the effort for his brother-in-law who bought the car for $100 more than 50 years ago at a second hand store in Vancouver.

“It was designed for a businessman in a suit and his briefcase,” said Thompson, who claims there are only six original Peel P50’s in the world from the original 41 built on the Isle of Man.
The Peel P50 Wikipedia page states there were 50 made between 1962 and 1965, and states 27 are known to exist.

Thompson says the microcar was purchased as a toy and its condition proves that. It no longer works, the windows are missing and the roof was glued back on after a mishap on the family farm decades ago.

The car is set to be restored in Vernon and will be sent to auction after completion.

Thompson’s brother-in-law is counting on any cash generated to assist their retirement plans.

Sotheby’s auctioned off a similar vintage model last month in Florida for $176,000 US ($235,000 Cdn), making the restoration work that much more lucrative to Thompson’s family.

The Peel Engineering company recently received investment money to re-start production of replicas for about $25,000.

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
Re: Another original P50 found?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 05:29:08 PM »
Looks like a real one to me. Hope they don't loose to much of it's character in the restoration.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 07:54:48 PM »
Lovely and just what you want to find , almost inevitably the restorer will go over the top - but lets hope not  :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 08:35:03 AM »
Since this car seems pretty complete I cannot quite see why there is such a need for back up to restore it. Done by chucking money art it, it risks becoming an original version of a fake, as the fakes seem to be in more supply. That would be a class own goal. Better to be less exited and just do a simple and uncomplicated restoration.

As a moot point. Would you, as a wealthy person, send a Peel away to an unknown restorer, chosen only by recommendation? Such is the availability of Peel bits and bobs you could receive a lovely, shiny Peel back, though none of it might be authentic for one reason or another. The restorer counts his fee, buys the wife a fridge, restores the original, now discarded, parts and, by jingo, we have another real Peel pop up. Restorer can afford to swap wife for younger model. Honesty and originality are in the eye of the restorer......
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 08:48:21 AM »
Verging on cynical perhaps?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 09:06:02 AM »
Yes Alan and isnt this what most micro owners do if they can ? I like restoration , repair, rechrome - but most fit NEW bumpers , door handles etc etc losing everything they started with  ( Messerschmitt and Isetta ? ). Fair enough if it too far gone but ......
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 11:07:23 AM »
You decide!
http://globalnews.ca/news/2637779/worlds-rarest-car-restored-in-okanagan/
There is also a video there if you want to watch it, only 2 minutes long.

text from the article if you don't want to click the link:
World’s rarest car restored in Okanagan
KELOWNA, B.C. –
It’s called the Peel P50, a three-wheeled microcar and one of the original few manufactured in the 1960’s is set to be restored in the Okanagan Valley.

Dave Thompson is spearheading the effort for his brother-in-law who bought the car for $100 more than 50 years ago at a second hand store in Vancouver.

“It was designed for a businessman in a suit and his briefcase,” said Thompson, who claims there are only six original Peel P50’s in the world from the original 41 built on the Isle of Man.
The Peel P50 Wikipedia page states there were 50 made between 1962 and 1965, and states 27 are known to exist.

Thompson says the microcar was purchased as a toy and its condition proves that. It no longer works, the windows are missing and the roof was glued back on after a mishap on the family farm decades ago.

The car is set to be restored in Vernon and will be sent to auction after completion.

Thompson’s brother-in-law is counting on any cash generated to assist their retirement plans.

Sotheby’s auctioned off a similar vintage model last month in Florida for $176,000 US ($235,000 Cdn), making the restoration work that much more lucrative to Thompson’s family.

The Peel Engineering company recently received investment money to re-start production of replicas for about $25,000.

It would be good both for the current owner and the microcar world in general if it could be established whether it is definitely an as yet 'unknown' original by discovering its chassis and engine number.  Do you have any contacts , Jim?
If the article truly genuine, the current owner Mr Thompson would seem to be under a load of misapprehensions. Unaware of the number of replicas  and replica parts that are on offer these days or even it would seem by whom the originals were made.  The Peel Engineering now making the replicas having no connection to the original manufacturers on the Isle of Man. He does not seem to know the correct numbers of of originals still known to exist either. His bubble could easily burst!    Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 02:54:25 PM »
I think that the condition of the vehicle displayed in the video trumps any further need for verification of authenticity.
The video took about two unannounced minutes to load on my smart phone.  Perhaps Jean's concern over its authenticity was founded upon a difficulty in viewing this.
I agree with Jean that the owner is incorrect about the number known to exist, as I believe that I have bumped into 4 originals in the U.S. without making any effort to do so.

Restoration presents a real conundrum in situations like this, as many aspects of its originality create charm.
At least it is obvious that it should be restored to a state of full functionality.

Personally, I would do my best to improve the quality of the repaired body sections, but would be then left wondering how to blend in a similarly faded and flaked layer of paint.
Perhaps some experimentation with color matching a crackle paint, with follow up rough sanding of protuberant micro proboscises could be effective.
And then again, perhaps it wouldn't.

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 03:53:54 PM »
I have no contacts for this person or his "brother-in-law" that apparently owns it.
I do think it is probably a genuine original P50 but a serial number/chassis number would be helpful.
I would have to say that whoever is doing the work WILL be shopping around for missing parts and other information and more information might be able to be obtained at that time

Al does raise an interesting point about dropping off a vehicle for someone else to restore.
I have heard countless tales over the years of restorers swapping original parts for reproduction parts when the owner is simply writing checks.
Given the number of replica options these days, it would be recommended to thoroughly document any restoration work.

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 08:17:46 PM »
This is a 'known' P50 and was one of six sent to British Columbia dealer in 1965.  Details are on the Peel Register and one of our members on here was interested in trying to buy it recently.  The owner  Windy Erhardt, has been in regular contact with Andy Carter for some years.

More pictures when it was stored vertical......

scorpius

• Occasional
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 07:26:10 PM »
Scarce little car , I never saw one in person , hopefully they will do a proper resto on it

hotwheels

• Just Starting
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 08:41:39 AM »
I am sure Jeremy Clarkson drove one of these are around bbc office in Top Gear the tv series??? i have just had a look turns out he did....
This is a completely restored P50 check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJfSS0ZXYdo

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 07:23:07 PM »
Come to the Hammond Collection Open Day and see another one as well has is brother the Trident.  Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars