Author Topic: Mystery box  (Read 12511 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Mystery box
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 07:05:41 PM »
Was not French Canadian? They have the reputation of being very awkward, if they want to be. It was the car I was thinking of, but I got my wires crossed somewhere. It looked a nice car, from memory.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2016, 11:24:51 AM »
Yes, a very French Canadian, but not Alaskan.
You have a very photographic memory indeed, as you apparently accurately remembered its image based on some portrait you painted in your mind from a previous description that must have mentioned by happenstance  to you more than a year ago. ;)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2016, 10:01:45 AM »
Its got a spare engine you wanted hasn't it. If not then perhaps there was a Alaskan Berkeley after all. But it came to nothing. Did the Goggo gent up there have any success? Sounds like you had more trouble on an 'internal' shipping than one from France, via the UK and on in. It suggest Nick might have been right not to get embroiled with the French export officials. Some nasty tales have gone round about failed importation to France. Not the same as export, of course. Not sure that Nick ever got involved in any of that, but I am sure he told me of a lost car he was aware off one Mannheim yonks ago. I have heard horror stories of stuff going into the USA too. Imposed extra fees and serious damage by agents of whom so ever customs use to search containers. Its all something of a calculated risk, but to many complex cargos go wrong, without rogue freight forwarding traders!.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2016, 12:05:45 PM »
Do we actually get to see the car or just the trailer?
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2016, 03:36:41 PM »
is it real ?

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2016, 04:14:34 PM »
Quite.
Same meticulous engineer owner for 50 years, and only 10,500 miles on the clock.
Can you guess exactly what is in box # 2?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 04:19:55 PM by steven mandell »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2016, 05:11:26 PM »
Yes, so I will leave it to the others.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2016, 07:26:45 PM »
No ! , so I will leave it to others 😀
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2016, 01:01:05 AM »
Is it the same as in box number C0363472?
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2016, 01:39:16 AM »
That is the number of the box that I am referring to.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2016, 01:44:18 AM »
Here is the pichard of the taillight lens.
It is orange, and has PMG written in the central diamond.
It is only retained by the rubber surround.
Widest section is about 2 and 5/16".
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 01:59:45 AM by steven mandell »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2016, 05:22:46 AM »
Well steven I havd none but ebay always do - pmg lens
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2016, 09:33:15 AM »
Lucas copy. Not sure which was original to Berkeley. But does it matter that much if the car is already so equipped. Should not be to hard to find. I think my few are all Lucas. You can obtain new bezels.

No guesses on the second box? It contains a tortoise called Toby. He is acclaimed for his ability to beat Hares, largely due to the surgical enhancement of a sealing skirt and model makers  small ducted fan to fill and propel Toby forward. He steers by dropping his legs to the ground. He is the reason March went bust, as they kept loosing. He bit Stirling Moss once, he took a lichen to him. Ageing, he has become a classic, so I am sure that is why Steve bought him. He can take him walkies using the Badsey Bullet.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2016, 10:30:24 AM »
Thanks for the tail light tips.
Al knows what is in the boxette that accompanied the big crate, and is clearly showing the effects that the stress of withholding his tongue has had on his brain.
In the interest of preventing further Grim sacrilage to one of Aesop's finest fables, will someone stick their neck out just a little further than the typically conservative tortise, and venture a guess at what it is?

It is practically a no brainier.
Curiously he did guess it's position behind the Badsey Bullet prototype correctly.

Grommet

• Chatty
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2016, 12:35:50 PM »
Here you go..

Not cheap but looks to be correct.. but with some extra writing on  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PMG-Vintage-PT559-AMBER-Glass-Lens-1-Flat-Design-/281896911695?hash=item41a25d834f:g:f9cAAOSwnDxUiQ76

Grommet
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 12:43:30 PM by Grommet »