Author Topic: Mystery box  (Read 12507 times)

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
Mystery box
« on: April 23, 2016, 11:52:23 AM »
The crate is 127" long by 54" wide by 47" tall, and has an "all in" wieght of 1300 lbs.
Can you guess what is in it?
Hint - box could weigh as much as contents.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 07:28:10 PM by steven mandell »

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
Re: Mystery box
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 08:44:37 PM »
I wouldn't have a clue but I'm interested

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 09:23:19 PM »
 Cursor?

Tripod?

One of Barry's rolling chassis'?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 09:25:21 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 09:55:38 PM »
Here is a clue for you.

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 09:59:50 PM »

It's summat four-wheeled?

Go on, help us out a bit more; which country does it hail from originally & what time period?  :D

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 10:48:49 PM »
Cursor?

Tripod?

One of Barry's rolling chassis'?
I would never sell a valuable British car outside of the UK Stuart.............

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 11:48:16 PM »
I had thought the Berkeley had arrived from Alaska.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 02:20:25 AM »
that third ramp suggests it has an outrigger?
 :-\

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 06:35:36 AM »
I demand that this topic be withdrawn immediately ! It might be off topic , we just dont know 😀😀😀😀
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 07:28:39 AM »
Book him, Danno!

Its a Hawaiian sidecar outfit with grass skirt ground effect seal.

Its an empty box, Customs got there first.

Its full of one legged Mexicans who have hopped it.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 09:46:00 AM »
It might be a huge roll of paper listing all the reasons not to buy a microcar ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 10:54:11 AM »
It hailed from England in 1958, but has been in North America for the last 55 years.
No one legged Mexicans were exposed to injury by this endeavor, nor should Barry be held accountable.

Cursors and Tripods are valuable?
The point causing most confusion is the double ramp on the right.  It was placed there on the insistence of my assistant.   However it would not have been needed if he trusted me not to veer at all to that side during my descent.  The location of the ramps flange supports on the trailer necessitated placing the right ramp either on the support or on the angle iron that is part of the trailer's frame more to the center, but not straddling both.
The track of the vehicle is barely accomodated by the original ramp mounting flanges, and the crate was loaded off center by forklift at the depot where I collected it- hence the attempt to provide some wiggle room for a planned for straight steered decent.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 10:57:27 AM by steven mandell »

super-se7en (Malc Dudley)

• Quite Chatty
  • Two Frisky sports
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 11:26:33 AM »
Looking at the small piece of red car sticking out the front of the box and the cowl over the headlight i would say Berkeley.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 12:40:28 PM »
Yes, Al got the car right but the country wrong.
This car was owned by a single meticulous engineer in Quebec for fully 50 years, before I bought it from him based on his lead ad in Jim's Vintage Microcar News magazine in September of 2014.

Many problems with an unethical shipper who decided that he was no longer interested in delivering it to Los Angeles AFTER he had picked it up and moved it a couple of hundred miles, became a source of almost unmanageable complications and significant stress for the last one and a half years of my life.

Getting the Canadian Police involved in what is typically considered to be a civil matter was more helpful from afar than I have experienced in my own environs.  But dealing with this stubborn unethical shipper, and several different US border agents with their own bones to pick added another year of stress and complication, and couple of thousand dollars more to my burden.
However unethical, difficult and expensive my troubled path, the shipper's crate and carefulness was apparently up to snuff.   No damages were to be found from the prolonged storage that his reversal of commitment created, or shipping in the well built crate. 
Although today I  did find a glued back together glass tail light disc type lens.   Does Richard have one to sell?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 12:44:50 PM by steven mandell »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 01:54:12 PM »
Show us what your after Steven