Author Topic: HAMMOND COLLECTION OPEN DAY 2016  (Read 11216 times)

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
Re: HAMMOND COLLECTION OPEN DAY 2016
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2016, 10:23:41 PM »
Brilliant weekend, thanks everyone who made it possible, good work!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2016, 09:11:01 AM »
I'm still recovering from the rally. It was a fun packed weekend despite some early set backs which included Leslie falling down the stairs very early Saturday morning. Hope you are feeling better Leslie. Saturday morning started off very grey and on the way to the first stop of the road run, the Kent clay peg tile makers we felt a few spots of rain and then on the second leg to Rovenden and the Morgan collection the rain started. Me and Planty in the Bobette got off quite lightly as the nice big screen sheltered us well whilst we were moving but getting wetter as we stopped at junctions etc. We thought we were pretty dry with our jackets on until we stood up at Rovenden and it looked like we had wet our selves! :lol:
We greatly enjoyed the Morgan collection and by the time we were heading off to Headcorn Airfield the rain had stopped so we were again enjoying the wonderful Kent countryside and the picturesque villages. After some lunch at the cafe we were off on the return leg back to base which was not uneventful. Steve Fisk's Peel P-Fisky's exhaust came loose and was making some amazing noises ranging from blowing bubbles under water to a spit Merlin engine! Just half a mile from Schoolhouse farm we took a bend in the Bobette which had a build up of wet farmyard slurry in the middle of the road which resulted in a spectacular rear wheel drift, It felt like it was happening in slow motion , an instinctive counter steer corrected our trajectory and that's gone down as the best thrill of the road run! As it already looked like we had wet our selves the consequences were unnoticeable! :D
Later in the evening my fellow band members rolled up and we tortured everyone for about and hour. Nobody threw anything so it couldnt have been too bad!
Next the quiz which I missed as was too busy loading up the band equipment.
Sunday was a far more relaxed affair and the weather was glorious! A driving skill test in the paddock field later on and them time to head back home.

Many thanks to all involved in the organising of the rally, a lot of thought and work had gone into this and although attendance wasnt huge it was all well worth it. Much appreciated!

Grommet

• Chatty
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2016, 01:50:46 PM »
The quiznight winner proudly displaying his prize of pink furry dice!

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2016, 02:25:11 PM »
A great weekend. A drop of torrential rain during the run on Saturday made things interesting, particularly as my wiper decided to stop wiping after a couple of minutes, but a very enjoyable trip to the CM Booth Morgan museum with a possibly unsurpassed selection of 3-wheel Morgans, a fairground version of the Rytecraft Scootacar & one of those little Johnstones miniature coaches as well as sundry other items of interest. After that conditions brightened a little with a trip to Headcorn Aerodrome to see the museum of parts largely salvaged from WW2 aircraft wrecks. A very enjoyable set from Bob and his band made for a great evening - no dancers but lots of foot-tapping and the Lamb Shack provided delicious food throughout. Sunday was very relaxed although a little frustrating to overhear a couple of people who only lived down the road saying they'd wished they bought their micros! Nevertheless a respectable variety in the line-up and a few other classics & customs in the back field. With a dodgy wiper and a 170 mile drive back to Somerset I left before the driving event, but enjoyed whizzing through the tunnels at Hindhead on the way back.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2016, 02:56:43 PM »
Hi everybody,  we are gradually clearing up after an absolutely fantastic and successful weekend.  Lesley is slowly recovering from her tumble down the stairs but I am afraid we are being rather slower than we would have liked in thanking all those many people, family and friends who mucked in and made a success out of what nearly was a complete disaster.  I will not even attempt to mention individuals at this moment this list is so long, suffice to say you were all brilliant and in spite of a damp start it was the biggest and the best Open Days yet, as far as we were concerned.  As soon as I can I will let you know by how much the Archive Project in particular and the Museum in general have been helped by all the many raffle prizes donated, donations received for the Museum and items we have been given to add to the displays in the Museum itself.  Thank you, thank you, thank,
                           from Jean, Lesley, and all the Hammond family.

Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

3horsepower

• Occasional
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2016, 04:22:54 PM »
Hiya -

A massive thank you to everyone who supported us at this years event.  All the feedback we have had so far, has been very positive. It was the boost we needed after the torrential rain that washed out our event in 2015.  If you would like to see some photographs do feel free to look at The Hammond Collection on Facebook. 

I felt the new format was successful.  Our magnificent caterer, who provided evening meal, fab breakfast & BBQ's on Sunday, was extremely well received & I have provisionally booked her again next year.  The run out was quite well supported & the destinations seemed popular.  The route was planned to go through a number of villages and it was good to note that the little cars did cause quite a stir locally.  Several local businesses enthusiastically embraced the event, which help us to make a small profit for the Archives Fund which no doubt Jean will give you more details as it evolves.

As you know we are blessed in having a wonderful gang of people who support our Museum and they have really stepped up to the plate again this year to make this event possible.  When canvassing their support, the feeling seemed to be to keep the gathering specific to micro cars, encourage the low key, friendly ambiance with an emphasis on family fun.  I hope we did achieve that with the help of some brilliant 1960's live musical entertainment provided by Bob & the Bubblers, a fun quiz put together by Chris Thomas followed by some old film clips.  I think the later evening could be improved further for those who were camping but a great effort none the less.  We had quite a strong visiting public the following day as the Museum is not normally so accessible and the driving activity seemed popular.

The weather on Saturday evening & all day Sunday was perfect. 8) We did not charge entry or parking fees and indeed camping was free to anyone who brought a micro car.  Still not sure how to attract more visitors bringing  their micro cars.  We are currently taking stock, deciding whether to go for a bi-annual two day format, going back to the single day event in between or take the bull by the horns and commit to an annual two day event.  I  would be interested in your views, suggestions and feedback. 

Just as an aside really - We were very fortunate to have visitors from both The Netherlands & Germany join us for the weekend.  There were at least 4 families present, who shared a passion for microcars across the generations.  For those kindly enquiring after my health - nothing broken, probably due to adequate padding. My final point - we had such a wonderfully pleasant crowd of people visiting that there was not a single piece of litter left behind and I bet there are very venues that can make that claim! ;D
Thanks  Lesley xx

Lesley 3 horse power Cook:)

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2016, 10:56:06 PM »
Have any more of you got pictures?  We seem to be rather short of them this year and Lesley would love to have them for the Open Day  Facebook page.  Watch out for an article in Auto Express at the end of this month and in the Autumn edition of Motor Sport though.  Jean
Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2016, 02:16:42 AM »
Pictures!
Malcolm

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2016, 02:17:44 AM »
More pictures
Malcolm

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2016, 02:18:51 AM »
And a few more
Malcolm

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2016, 02:20:31 AM »
Last few. Forgot I'd taken some on the saturday as well - Thanks again for a lovely weekend
Malcolm

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2016, 12:03:24 PM »
Thank you so much Malcolm that fills in some gaps.  Jean
Jean

swanktank

• Chatty
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2016, 10:16:36 AM »
Sorry I couldn't make it this year. I was up in Scotland in my KR200 at the MOC rally  and the subsequent Scottish rally in Spey Bay. Over 1800 miles in 13 days, trouble free (well, at least for me).
A fantastic time with good weather, except on my birthday.