Barry

• Prolific Poster

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Allard
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 03:54:49 PM »
Well known for having been squashed into dust a few months after this 70/80's ? photo was taken Barry
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 07:39:41 PM »
Is it? Never heard about that. Why would you take a picture of something, then destroy it?

But I was thinking I knew the tree. Might be latent Ent feelings. Must be wrong. Usually am.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 07:48:58 PM »
Well, Al, perhaps the person who took the photo wasn't the person who destroyed it?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 08:06:36 PM »
Well I think Dave and I know at least two of the people who took the photo , one is on here , when they returned to retrieve the car a while later I believe it looked as if a tractor had crushed it 😒 Obviously this wouldn't get a chance to happen now 😏
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 08:28:58 AM »
 Dear Barry

Regular readers of Rumcar News will remember back in issue 111 Winter 2011, Nick Mander told the story of the Charlwood Clipper.

I will say no more.

Chris Thomas
Rumcar News

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 09:00:26 AM »
But even if it were flat packed, I would have taken the bits, if it was a situation where it was not trespass. If it was on private land, seems unlikely if there are close pics, then a deal can be be put to the owner. Its a potential car, where only a couple survive. Blimey, the BUMS went up the River Nene to rescue an Isetta buried in a bank. That was not exactly rare, and it had to be transported to a road head by boat. It then appeared at a National, being more original than half the cars there, with its chassis plate and matching number. The salvageable parts were added to a dead car, and it lives again.  No doubt there were some extenuating circumstances, but these opportunities do not come up very often.

That said I failed to rescue several salvageable cars from Junkie Haynes, two Scootacar (at £20k a throw now) and a Bond MkG (?) tourer in white, until I liberated Nelson, the Goggo Coupe. Since then a few wrecks have been rescued, and gone into circulation.

Mind you I have had dealings with Clubs outside of my private interests where I was pretty certain the finding of rare salvageable cars were taken as 'a bad thing' as it reduced the established value of the incumbent clique running the Club. Thus they seemed to do all they could to see the new finds destroyed. This was particularly the case with Reliants, very sad and very short sighted.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 06:50:35 PM »
What happened to that Allard is a really fascinating story, full of intrigue, mystery and colour - Back issues are available from Chris.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"