Author Topic: Update on the Peel Trident Garden Find Many Moons ago  (Read 3153 times)

Dom

• Just Starting
Update on the Peel Trident Garden Find Many Moons ago
« on: July 05, 2016, 02:25:40 PM »
I had forgotten it is now 6 years since i first joined and posted on here that I had become the owner of a Peel trident that was lost in a garden for 30 years.

Anyway I have been mega busy on so many other projects and the peel has been a back burner one however im now at a critical mass of parts im close to putting it back together.
I never intended to do this as a project for money or cash, Im a big believer in using it and showing it to the local area in worcestershire.

So engine all tickety boo (pretty much) I took it to Alec Dorrell Motorcycles in stourport on severn and said make it all work, I was happy with the engine but was unhappy about the state of the magneto and wanted new points. He disagreed on my verdict of the engine and put a new top ring on as the gap was out of tolerance. I was hoping he would test it but he didnt and said he was confident it would run. I went home dejected but he was proven right , with some petrol is did run well.
After a few hours work it went back into the rear frame that was all powder coated and new chain and looks fab.  I am however missing the tin fan cowling. Anybody that can help me locate one would be rewarded.
The body shell went away and the original bottom half and new top half provided by Andy Carter has come back. I have however yet to put the hinges on and put the two together and sort a seal out. I tried making a seal via the angle grinder method. It did not go well.

Most of the steelwork came back ok from the shot blasters/powder coaters. It has pitting from its long stay outside.
I have however been a heretic and gone for a different colour to the usual ones.
So it is now Peppermint Green. It looks fab and as I said earlier . It will get used a lot and out there.

Things still to do. - Lots
one half of a wheel is corroded and not usable. As its sat on a flat tyre for 30 years, rust has eaten a piece out of it. Anyone that can offer a wheel, half a wheel or even a bent half a wheel l would help.
Still to get , wiper motor / front Moggy sidelights /Jaguar Door prop /

The pedal Assy was totally corroded so I have yet to make this. Would love to borrow one for a week to make a copy please. Or is someone will sell me one
I would like to get a set of nylon bushes for all the suspension arms, it seems a shame to put the old one back on (if they will go in without falling apart)
Also the two rubbers for the rear frame mounting would be good.

My shocks have seem better days post shot blasting, can any offer advice on sourcing replacements.

Key is locating a door seal.ideally one with the slot in already.

If anyone has any advice or will sell me some parts please email me via dom1ok@hotmail.com or ring me on 07879 433669

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Re: Update on the Peel Trident Garden Find Many Moons ago
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 03:05:24 PM »
 I've got a slightly bent-at-the-rim Dunlop 5" wheel which might suit. (or at least, I'm pretty sure it's still in the bowels of the shed somewhere). Shall I go hunt it out Dom?

Dom

• Just Starting
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 10:27:51 AM »
oooh fab yes please, let me know how much you want for it.

Email me on dom1ok@hotmail.com  I can send you the postal address and get bank a/c or paypal details off you
to send you some money for this much appreciated item

Im a dab hand at welding so I can graft a piece into the one that has a corrosion spot.

Many thanks, much appreciated.

Dom

• Just Starting
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 11:57:42 PM »
Some Pics

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 06:52:19 PM »
A man after my own heart.
I did a post about wheel grafting a few months ago, as I had two extremely corroded wheels for my Seab Flippers, and no spares.
Don't even through out the 90% rusted out ones, as that 10% that's still good might be just what you need some time in the future.
It was very difficult getting to fit as a perfect puzzle piece, and then lined up exactly correctly.

A lot of time spent very carefully at the grinding stone, some heavy duty min C clamps and a powerful welding magnet were indispensable, and with time and care, it all came out well and literally rung true when tapped with a hammer all round.
But if Stuart gets you a bent one, obviously much easier a go.

My living room Trident came with weatherstrip from Andy Carter, so I suggest that you consult him first for all your Peel needs.