Author Topic: RM / Sotheby's classic and super car auction preview  (Read 754 times)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
RM / Sotheby's classic and super car auction preview
« on: September 07, 2016, 08:00:15 AM »
Many thanks to Mike Shepherd for inviting me along to this event on his +1 invitation. It was in the gallery in Battersea Park. The map of where it was in the park was rubbish...I was chuffed that I managed to navigate us to exactly the indicated location only to find it was 2 entrances away on the opposite corner!

Anyway, once we finally found it we strode up the Red Carpet and went in. Free snacks and drinks (though he did have to pay for an orange juice!), all very relaxed and friendly, lovely evening.

Lots of Porsches, Ferraris and Lambos, spattering of Cobras, Aston Martins etc., some almost new, some classics. The classics appeal to me far more than the moderns.

Highlights for me were a massive and very long RR 2 seater fast back convertible, rich red colour, whitewall tyres and lashings of chrome, a real Hollywood- style stunner. A very nice Frazer Nash single seat racer, ex John Lennon Austin Princess limousine and this wood and basketwork Hustler:

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/15487/lot/173/

It was a great evening and a rare glimpse of how the other half live!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: RM / Sotheby's classic and super car auction preview
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 11:58:40 AM »
Hobnobbing with the in crowd. Its nice to be connected. You get the odd sparkle of tinsel to enjoy. Well done Mike.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: RM / Sotheby's classic and super car auction preview
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 12:17:06 PM »
Yup, a bit "out of my depth" with so many wealthy people, but all very friendly and relaxed, thanks Mike!

When Mike collected me at about 6pm there had been a crash on the junction outside my yard, a regular event. As usual a car had pulled out of our road into the main road not noticing an on-coming large white van. One nicely dented side on the hatch-back. Police and breakdown van in attendance. We got back three hours later...car and breakdown still there, half blocking the road.

One time this happened, the car pulled out right in front of an Emergency Ambulance with all blue lights and headlights flashing and siren blaring! Driver badly injured, had to be cut out of the wreckage and another two Ambulances called out!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face