Author Topic: MOT exemptions - Government consultation  (Read 1393 times)

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
MOT exemptions - Government consultation
« on: September 22, 2016, 08:47:27 PM »
The Government have just started a consultation on changes to the current MOT exemption rules for pre-1960 vehicles - possible extending it to 40 year old vehicles (pre-1976) - although the EU would allow for 30 year old vehicles and/or other changes. It does note that any changes affecting 3-wheelers or motorcycles wouldn't come into effect until 2022.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/roadworthiness-testing-for-vehicles-of-historic-interest
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: MOT exemptions - Government consultation
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 07:32:27 AM »
We are very out of step with many countries in the EU on this. All part of the Tony Blair car hate campaign. That saw a very destructive phase for our Classic Car industry, knocking us off the leading status, to a resource for finding old cars. Just catching up is not going to change that. There is a class case of binning an entire industry for political dogma, if ever there was one. Forget Miners and Thatcher. Very silly and directly effecting me.

Now of course it is likely that we will not be in the EU to share any of these more helpful bits of legislation, so I am not holding my breath on this one. The authorities seem to remain anti car despite the enormous revenue they yield to the public purse. If they had a more progressive policy, many of the problems now detracting from the management structure and import costs would not exist. The same management idiocy bringing you Hinkley Nuclear Power Station. Fiscal madness I had hoped a new start would end!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

plas man

• Quite Chatty
Re: MOT exemptions - Government consultation
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 03:43:51 PM »
a quick buck for the wise boys , pop rivet in a new floor , brush full of underseal , some filler on the body work quick re-spray and the old rotting family garden ornament gains a few grand !!!