Author Topic: Goggomobil T300  (Read 2763 times)

swanktank

• Chatty
Goggomobil T300
« on: October 16, 2016, 04:36:09 PM »
I am changing the rear wheel bearings on my T300. Does anyone know how to remove the "cap with the radial sealing ring" (Abschlusskappe) from its housing? There are 2 of them, one on the inside and one on the outside. There's nothing to get hold of - the cap just seems to be pushed into the housing. There's a circlip and the bearing under the cap.
The English and German w'shop manuals are rather sketchy.
Any Goggo owners out there?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Goggomobil T300
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 07:50:30 PM »
Not quite clear what your problem is. The bearings are each covered with an oil seal. If your changing the bearings, then you would normally change the oil seal. You can flick them out, if there is no rust. You can then reuse them, if you chose to use sealed bearings, as they will keep the crap out. if in reasonable condition. I am lucky enough to possess the tooling to do this as manual, as the inner bearing is a long pull, if it reuses to budge.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

swanktank

• Chatty
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 10:02:48 PM »
I'm only talking about the metal cap (Uwe's catalogue page 68/25 - Abschlusskappe). This is the last thing pressed into the housing on top of the inner and outer oil seal.
I subsequently put the same question on the German Goggo Forum. Ralf answered that the only way he knows of to remove the metal cap is to punch a hole in it and lever it out, thus destroying it!
All the other stuff is straightforward.
I have now had the idea of temporarily tack welding something onto it to give something to get hold of to extract. Or I could just butcher them out and buy new ones of course.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 10:48:05 AM »
Ah, you remind me now. Had a look at my parts book. Yes, I remember I used an ATE calliper pliers to attempt to remove these. This is a pliers with a griping surface and action to expand into a circumference. So sort of the wrong way round, if you get my drift. A disc piston normally being hollow. Thus you can grip it and rotate. The theory being that rotating slightly will break up the bond of the stuck part and allow it to withdraw. One could make such a tool out of a broken set of circlip pliers. Clearly only a certain pressure can be applied before you drive the quite soft steel into the very hole your are attempting to release it from. So its not a guaranteed method, but it is a chance.

I forgot about this part as I never had a problem getting them out. Indeed some bearing failures were the result of this 'cap' coming loose and found dangling on the driveshaft. Of course the difficulty in removal is entirely dependant on the grip, or corrosion, holding the insert in place. The Goggos I worked on where all running, or near running, cars back in the day. I had my pick as no one else was very interested. There was often excess grease around the ends of the hub carrier. I never bothered to tackle more rusty components, as I had the luxury of choice.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

swanktank

• Chatty
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 02:36:46 PM »
I'll be able to have a serious go tomorrow. Corrosion is not too bad. I have the hub with the drive shaft removed from the car so this could make it easier.