Author Topic: London to Brighton Run 2016  (Read 642 times)

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
London to Brighton Run 2016
« on: November 02, 2016, 10:34:04 PM »
This Sunday 6 November is the date for the London to Brighton run. One of the great free motoring events in the world. While the cars are strictly not microcars, it is a spectacle that all motoring enthusiasts should see at least once in their lifetime.

I have been attending it each year for perhaps the last 20 years, and I never cease to be amazed by the ever increasing number of cars that are over 100 years old, that are not only still on the road, but go as well as some modern cars.

I always go to Redhill in Surrey, and drift up and down the hill to the south of the town centre, and watch as the cars negotiate the hill and the traffic lights half way up. The Messerschmitt owners normally collect at the bottom, while at the top the scouts do a mean trade in bacon sandwiches and coffee.

I always get there at about 8 o'clock to see the first cars race through, and I stay until about 11 o'clock, by which time the stragglers are making it up the hill.

I urge you to make the effort to watch this event, and look forward to seeing you if you choose to join me at Redhill on Sunday Morning.

There are plenty of other good viewpoints on the 50 mile route, but remember some cars drop out well before they reach Brighton.

Chris Thomas
Rumcar News

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: London to Brighton Run 2016
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 07:16:23 AM »
About 15 years ago on a Saturday afternoon a fellow came into our yard asking if anyone knew any open engineering places with a lathe in the area, he was soon sent over to my unit. He was heading to dinner at the RAC, staying overnight, then doing the run to Brighton the next day.

It transpired that his 19th c de Dion Bouton had broken down right outside our yard and he needed to machine up a new boss for the contracting brake band, as the original had sheared off. I have the only lathe for MILES around here and I was in!

He just could not believe his luck, I had some metal of roughly the right type and shape and let him get on with it. An hour later he was on his way and a very happy bunny!

Great event.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 07:35:28 AM »
I wonder if, in 100 years, a run of current cars would see such a varied and full field of working cars. I will just pop into Marcus and use his 3D printer to make a senser chamber that has failed, reprogramme the computer and be on my way. The skill base changes.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 05:20:28 PM »
Dear All

Whilst it was cold it was an ideal day for the event. The Messerschmit owners club met up opposite Halfords and watch most of the Veteran cars come through. The traffic control stewards managed to foul up the traffic at the traffic lights and the Scouts sold lots of Bacon Rolls and Hot Coffee, and the 400 odd 100 year old cars were not bad either.

I did look out for other Rumcar faces and apologise if I missed you as I left at 10.40 in search of warmer clothing.

Let us hope it is equally as sunny and a little warmer next year.

Chris Thomas

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 05:22:40 PM »
I wanted to have a look but far too busy packing and planning for The Big Move....

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 07:00:12 PM »
That sounds exciting. Do tell.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 07:40:22 PM »
Fingers crossed we're heading Hastings way. I love London, but it's getting too crowded, congested and expensive.