Author Topic: The Unibus Scooter  (Read 6792 times)

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
The Unibus Scooter
« on: November 20, 2016, 10:37:21 PM »
Dear Rumsters

Whilst doing some research I came upon this youtube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AX4l_cFhXY

But what is the connection or connections with microcars?

Very interesting video and vehicle.

Chris Thomas

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
Re: The Unibus Scooter
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 11:26:10 PM »

But what is the connection or connections with microcars

That, like microcars, the video is no longer available?   :)

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 08:45:27 AM »
Dear Dave

I have just tried it and the video is there. Can somebody else confirm that they have viewed it.

Many thanks

Chris Thomas

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 09:58:20 AM »
Aye, 'tis there. Featuring Mike Webster and the long time home of the Stimson Scorcher, Staverton.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 11:37:00 AM »
Dear Al

That's good and yes you have one connection. Mike Webster. Most people may not know who Mike is. But what is the other connection to this Video?

Chris Thomas

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 12:16:33 PM »
Well it depends how lateral you go, as Gloster, as it became, got tied up with Hawker Siddley, then swept up with Vickers Armstrong. There is also the Frank Whittle link and that development. So quite a few tangents in that lot. But specific to the Gloucester / Gloster company itself I am not so sure I can think of a direct link.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 01:07:18 PM »
That, like microcars, the video is no longer available?   :)

How strange:  in each attempt on my iPad, the link would open YouTube, which then reported "This Video is not available".

So ... up into the office, to try it on the iMac - and it worked straight away!

What a remarkably modern looking design, for 1919.  And rather sophisticated suspension, shaft drive, and braking systems, too.  Impressive! 

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 01:38:24 PM »
An interesting little video, and it also showed Harold Boultbee, the designer of the Unibus, as well as the Curlew.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 03:37:18 AM by cuscus47 »
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 02:16:38 PM »
Darnn,  I knew I heard that name before.

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 06:22:37 PM »
An interesting little video, and it also showed Harold Boultbee, the designer of the Unicar, as well as the Curlew.

Cuscus 47 - did you really mean Unicar and not Unibus? I always thought thought it was claimed that Lawrie Bond was the designer of the Unicar.  Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 07:12:11 PM »
Also video not available
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 03:34:46 AM »
An interesting little video, and it also showed Harold Boultbee, the designer of the Unicar, as well as the Curlew.

Cuscus 47 - did you really mean Unicar and not Unibus? I always thought thought it was claimed that Lawrie Bond was the designer of the Unicar.  Jean

Unibus -typo
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 07:44:08 AM »
Almost a blunderbus  ;D

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 01:15:01 PM »
quicker to catch a bus  8)

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2016, 05:30:01 PM »
Dear All

All Correct. Harold Boultbee was the designer and builder of both the Unibus Scooter and the Curlew, and a Unibus was owned at one time by Mike Webster, who developed among other vehicles the 4 wheeled Bond Bug.

It is a small world.

Chris Thomas