Author Topic: Float  (Read 4327 times)

swanktank

• Chatty
Float
« on: November 22, 2016, 10:02:33 PM »
For the first time in 48 years I have today had a breakdown because of a leaky carb float (in my Goggo). Thanks to the excellent AA  man for driving me 2 or 3 miles home to fetch a replacement!!! Was it, I wonder, holed by the nasty stuff in modern petrol?

While I am here does anyone know why some Bing floats have a flange on the bottom and some don't?

PS. The AA's report gave the make of vehicle as a "Google, model unknown". Ha ha.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Float
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 11:24:59 PM »
I believe the flange is there to act as a damper so the float does not get jiggled by bumps. The fluid in the float bowl acts as a damper on the flange. No flange, easier to jiggle.
The brass sometimes spontaneously fails in a crack. I put this down to the soldering being done in a hot environment, meaning the sealed float is at less than atmospheric pressure inside. In effect over time the effect is to fatigue the brass into failure.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Basket case

• Chatty
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 09:22:41 PM »
Wonder if the modern flangeless floats cause the Schmitts to misfire on hard cornering - think I'll try my old flanged one again to see if it makes a difference. misfire is worse with the excellent Heidenau tyres.

The damping flange makes sense.

swanktank

• Chatty
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 10:23:40 AM »
Please let us know your findings. I have had this hiccoughing on hard cornering for years in my KR200s. Of course there is no such problem in a Goggo!

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 10:40:35 AM »
Keen observation and speculation as to modus operandi and forensics of failure Al.
I have been warned not to blow high pressure air into the overflow tubes in Weber 3 barrel carburetors as it could cause a collapse of their hollow brass floats.

Perhaps their vulnerability to such stress is accentuated by a similar preloaded internal negative pressurization due to this construction process involving the heat of soldering during assembly.

Would like to see a picture of one of these flanged floats for reference.

swanktank

• Chatty
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 04:09:45 PM »
I seem to be unable to attach a photo.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 10:58:33 AM »
Probably need to use a readily available online tool like "Shrink my photos" before attempting attachment to this posting site.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 03:15:01 PM »
I have had trouble posting photos in the normal way too. 

I use ACDSee (Free) to reduce photos and some other enhancements.  I don't think it will be the solution for posting photos - there may be something wrong with the site (full-up).

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 04:31:31 PM »
test
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 04:34:51 PM »
Seems to be working OK.

Clink on the link for attachments and other options under the text box that appears when you click reply, then browse to the image you want to upload. You have to add some text in the text box as well.

Allowed file types: txt, doc, pdf, jpg, gif, png, jpeg
Restrictions: 4 per post, maximum total size 8000KB, maximum individual size 4000KB
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 07:44:46 AM »
Great photo, that red Trojan looks particularly good.
No bias just because it happens to be my old one, DUF !
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face