Author Topic: slanted hella headlamp glasses  (Read 3371 times)

angus fognozzle

• Just Starting
slanted hella headlamp glasses
« on: December 05, 2016, 08:44:48 PM »
I'm having a clear out and amongst some messerschmitt spares I have a pair of rather strange slanted headlamp glasses. These are the same diameter as messerschmitt ones, but I'm interested to know what they fitted. Thought this would be the forum to find out!
 The numbering on the glass is: K21001 and 1-52001NL
Any ideas?
Angus. 

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: slanted hella headlamp glasses
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 10:01:03 PM »
Tractor and small commercial vehicle use.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

angus fognozzle

• Just Starting
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 08:05:14 PM »
ah ha! now I know (anyone want to make me an offer for them?) - think the schmitt would look even more bug-eyed with these in place.
Thanks Big Al- 586MT ex groombridges green isetta 300 is doing well, and the chaincase you kindly sold me for my messerschmitt kr 200 some years back is still doing sterling service.. 

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 09:28:47 PM »
A common replacement part in the 70s but rarely seen now that the correct Hella parts are available.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 07:44:05 AM »
Someone found them available, and the reflector and bulb holder were the same as a Schmitt. I think the rim fastened at the bottom, like a spot light. But I might be wrong. Partsmart certainly used this resource for a while. I had a pair fitted to Shagbat, probably the grottiest Schmitt seen on the road. I fitted some large eyelash trims, non original, on to cover the extension. Experimenting showed that while the lens did not work as well as standard, you could fit the longer halogen bulbs. The Schmitt did not really have the power to run these, though. Shagbat ended up going to Germany, and is probably someone’s prized restored KR200 now. Just as Bismarck, Nick, and later my, old Concours de Grot Trojan, is restored and beautiful. Not much place for Malcolm Wigmore, Nick and my Grot cars these days. Sadly the trophy we shared more than others was stolen/lost. I am not sure what the market will be for the lenses, but you never know.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

angus fognozzle

• Just Starting
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 07:28:26 PM »
well if it is any consolation, my assembled messerschmitt has never got beyond red oxide primer as I had so much fun with it, I couldnt bear to take it off the road and disassemble for prep and paint. Mot man's observations were that there was a lot of welding evident. Cramped storage means I would be terrified of denting or scratching it, as it is I enjoy it all the more without having to worry!
If I ever do flog it, then it obviously makes sense to do the paint job then...

swanktank

• Chatty
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 10:49:19 PM »
I have a pair too.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 07:03:29 AM »
Nice car! I did not know we were still allowed to have tatty Scmitts. Though the higher your 'status' in the MEC, the tattier your car is, it seems. Nice shed to. I like a bit of shedding, indeed I wondered about a shed fanciers website, with differing categories. Smart sheds (Garages), mouldering sheds (my fav) etc. .