Author Topic: Logbooks on ebay  (Read 4093 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Logbooks on ebay
« on: December 19, 2016, 10:57:44 PM »
Two unusual logbooks on eBay
Ac petite £15 , is it cancelled
Gordon £50! , Uncancelled
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
Re: Logbooks on ebay
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 11:59:19 PM »
please be aware that DVLA monitor these in case any one thinks they can register a vehicle so they are just an expensive collectible item
1952 B minitruck 1957 Isetta bubble

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 09:14:16 AM »
The very price that the Groomfondle Gordon sold for in its crumbling entirety. But that was a long time ago now, its a Rob Dobie moment maybe! But that is the organic nature of collectables.

Indeed DVLA are getting very hot on old ID. Just reclaiming a long unused logbook actually registered on V5 can now result in a requirement of proof the car exists in a sufficiently whole form to warrant being called the vehicle in question. I have a Triumph ID I would like to bring up to date, I am expecting trouble as its not been on the road since 1984. The key item is a genuine chassis plate. Odd stampings are not making the grade, now. DVLA do employ experts and they know where and what 99% of chassis plates look like and where they should be. The days of slipping one passed, in a white lie, is probably past.
That is not to say they will be unsympathetic to a well documented and presented restoration project. The point is, the thing should be what it says it is, not a load of handy bits and bobs bolted together baring no relation to what was originally supplied. Same thing has happened to trailers. Its hard to argue they are wrong, but it is a damned nuisance when you have something unusual that has minimal documentary evidence and no support system to fall back on. The Historic Low Production Sports Car scene is full of one off, few of, or limited run cars, with very little information. Many carry a base car identity that is now at odds with DVLA practice. These are falling foul and being forced to be built to 'as new' standards, which render the result very non original. Those complete cars left become more valuable as a artefact to keep original. I have one Electron as a correct 3 owner car, and one that is the opposite. It will be interesting to see how that turns out, but I expect a struggle.
Interestingly the complete car, though registered in May '60 has been accepted by chassis number, as being constructed prior to 1960. For Fairthorpe records do exist, great if you know your chassis number.....damn. But I do have some research to do, with young Root who is rather good at this sort of thing, which might well reveal the Chassis, or registration, number originally on the second car.

A deviation from the sale? Not entirely, as it shows that depending on the owner the old IDs for sale, and the depth of back up, it can be used to recreate an original car. Its just not easy any more.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 02:36:15 PM »
Flipping Heck, I had lots of old log books 10 years ago. Didn't think they were worth anything. Just shredded them up. Story of my life really. Now worth a Shilling. Oh, I mean 5p for all you youngsters.
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 03:33:31 PM »
if you have owned the vehicle from old card log book (as shown above) days then you should be in receipt of 4 registration documents issued by DVLA over the years .

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 05:28:54 PM »
Only if you registered it with DVLA in 1974 when it went to Swansea
There is not usually a lot of problems with people who have logbooks and matching numbers it is the people who try to claim something they are not entitled too
1952 B minitruck 1957 Isetta bubble