Author Topic: People viewed today and Jan. 2013  (Read 1759 times)

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
People viewed today and Jan. 2013
« on: January 29, 2017, 10:44:16 PM »
Most Online Today: 21. (Jan 29 2017)
Most Online Ever: 277 (January 27, 2013, 09:41:38 PM)

Where have all the viewers gone in the last four years? :( :o
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: People viewed today and Jan. 2013
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 09:06:39 AM »
Looking at one stat is probably not going to reveal an answer. But I suggest that in 2013 there were an average number of new threads higher than is the current rate. It would be interesting to note the proportion that were about Microcars pure, Microcars inclusive, and in Other topics. Is that the same, or different. What new competition has grown up in the meantime.

It is a bizz truth that if you are not expanding, you are retracting. We all know what we would like to see as a site, and to visit. Many ideas aired. But their remains the ever present problem that some persons have to do the hard graft to create the infrastructure, and possible organise much of the content. If those folk are not available, you reach a point where you cannot grow. That leaves but one option. This can be halted for a while, if you have a non Cnut type character or two, who really can hold the sea back. At times they save the day, and some new interest comes along, and things expand again.

We know interest in Microcars has increased overall. The demographic of those people have changed, though. I think in the process the sources of information have become more defused. I question if the national clubs hold the bulk of the interest, as they once did. I am forever talking to people who are not involved in the clubs, but have cars. Many have other consuming interests, so their attention span is low. Added to that has been a spectacular failure to retain interested younger people. THe very resource needed to bring in the skills to improve the offering, so the old heads can paste their knowledge upon it.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 09:56:16 AM »
Well, we have to remember that this forum isn't about microcars.

It's about unusual microcars.  We'd need to know the level of activity on the other, dedicated forums, and the growth or otherwise in the number of such forums, to assess the whether the overall interest is diminishing.

Perhaps, too, the owners of one particular type of unusual microcar get together by email, once they have found "marque mates" on here?

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 11:14:58 AM »
I believe that the depth of interest of the average viewer may have shifted towards more superficial aspects of appearance of these vehicles, and away from the nitty gritty of how they work, or what it takes to keep these vehicles running.
I say this because there seems to be lesser chat about mechanics, and less glamorous postings of mechanical bits and under carriages seem to get fewer clicks than a profile picture or video.

So less grease under the fingernails of the average remaining viewer seems quite likely.

However, I am at a loss to explain why my posting of the USA Today Flipper video from the Concourse DeLemons in Monterrey California, that was released last week, received approximately 180 views, but not a single comment, untill I PM'd Big Al about it, and he added his two cents worth.
Any good guesses as to why there was no other posted reaction to this media giant's "Just Cool Cars" video news release?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 11:18:57 AM by steven mandell »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 12:19:41 PM »
Quite so Dave. That is why I suggested three categories, not two. Its not for me to define what is an unusual microcar. But for me talk of Bonds is not full on the target. But I would not wish to prevent the placing of these threads on site. They often are interesting to none Bonders, and contain info and tips, just as handy for some weird pile of junk, as it is for a thoroughbred Bond. If I really got upset by the postings, I do not have to click on the thread to view the postings. They remain invisible. So the feast, to my mind, can be pretty open. Why would you, in the general term of the word,  want it otherwise, I wonder. But I think there are those who do not see it this way.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Axiam

• Occasional
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 09:13:05 PM »
Once the only means of communication for those with genuine Unusual Microcars was Rumcars News and other club publications.  This is still the case for many die hard enthusiasts, however the digital age has greatly changed the boundaries.  Forums and chartrooms brought near instant communication within the last 10 years or so but these have been almost superseded by Facebook.  A second forum group for those with such interests along with proactive stalwarts dropping out must play a part in the reduced activity. 
Perhaps its down to the increased interest in Microcars overall and these newbies are more interested in 'doing' rather than just 'talking'

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 08:04:48 AM »
I still fail to understand why Facebook is so attractive. To me its an inferior medium. I can only assume it is either fashion and the herd instinct, or it functions on 'phones in a way that folk find it easier to use. I find it hard work.

But it did start to destroy the very good BX Club interactive site which held a lot of valuable information. It seemed crazy to me that the owners would then exit to ask questions on a site devoid of the answers. The net effect was a less active BX scene. The cars are now very rare.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 10:36:00 AM »
Have you still got your old Slide Rule Al.  I have but I must admit, Calculators are ruining the Slide Rule market  :)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 11:26:38 AM »
And the mental agility of those using them in to many cases? I have two slide rules. My own Thorntons one, and my father's rather worn one on which aeroplanes, reactors, hoovercraft and much else found their proofs in design studies and contract work. We seem to have replaced Dad with the Chinese. But if that is what the majority think is good, then I am the minority, which suits the Microcar Enthusiast in me perfectly, as ever we were. That knowledge stays off line, to be lost. Or it gets included in a book, as to publish on Facebook is to give the information, gratis, to Facebook, who can repackage and sell it. Not for me, I will opt for freedom.

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 12:04:22 PM »
Screwdrivers and wood chisels.

Yes, you can gouge out a bit of wood by banging in a screwdriver, and you can turn a screw with a chisel.  But they work better for their original purposes.

Facebook is easy if you want specifically to keep up with the latest gossip or ask a quick question;  well-structured forums (and not all, or indeed many, are) are good at storing advice in the long term.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 07:18:11 PM »
The most online ever was astonishing but do all know that it was Bruce Weiners second auction and far from the normal . It's all on Facebook and as so many of us will be on anything from 1 to 20 odd Facebook groups and we are checking in regularly there we are on many other subjects . When RUM forum started we were watching little else .
Personally gave up on this forum as people just would not stay on topic and drivelled on about their pet subjects whatever the actual micro subject was . Discuss ?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 07:35:09 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 07:59:03 PM »
I agree with you Ricard, a good summary and while we are talking about Facebook I would just like to mention a few things about my Invacars...................................

Axiam

• Occasional
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 10:59:54 PM »
Off Topic   ;D

Personally gave up on this forum as people just would not stay on topic and drivelled on about their pet subjects whatever the actual micro subject was . Discuss ?
Careful Richard this could develop into a serious thread.  How many Campervans attended the last BX rally.........
H van conversions don't count though.

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 11:29:45 PM »
Personally gave up on this forum as people just would not stay on topic and drivelled on about their pet subjects whatever the actual micro subject was

Why have you come back and drivelled about this topic then. ?????????????? >:(
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 10:38:46 AM »
Rob,
I am sympathetic with your concern over the loss of viewers and posters.
However much we may disagree with the righteousness of Richard's view point, we should not condemn him for expressing it, as that is exactly what you asked us all to do.

So thank you Richard for letting us know why you've gone silent as of late.
I don't believe that your reason for so doing is prevalent amongst the group as a whole, but respect your right to feel that way.
At this point, I can only wish to know how we might entice other non posters to avoid the considerable contradiction of posting their reasons for not posting.
Still haven't heard a word as to why there has been not even one non solicited response to my USA Today interview about my Flippant entry in the last Concours De Lemons in Monterrey- even from the community of posters on the forum.
Are ye mice or men (or women)?

Personally I find the rambling on to other micro related subjects to be an interesting dynamic, and excellent way to hatch the missing threads that Rob was lamenting.

Barry, what's new with your Invacars lately?

Would you like to hear about the twenty foot tall Tyrannosaurus Rex that I finally landed after two years of scheming that is still 1500 miles away from its newly intended micro car barn home?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 11:01:59 AM by steven mandell »