Author Topic: Bond MkD battery  (Read 5661 times)

Basket case

• Chatty
Bond MkD battery
« on: February 04, 2017, 08:47:15 PM »
I'm at the stage of fitting a battery to my MkD. Any suggestions as to the best location (no battery tray as yet) and how many ampere hours it should be rated at? Thanks

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
Re: Bond MkD battery
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 10:00:31 PM »
For a Mk D, the two most popular places are:
(1) in the corner, at the back of the offside wing, on a "shelf" supported by a brace between bulkhead and botttom of wing, and
(2) in the "boot'

Version (2) allows a bigger, heavier battery, but needs decently thick wire so's to avoid voltage loss.

My G (much the same starting requirement as a Mk D if uprated to 250cc) uses version (2), with a 42Ah

Extra Ah comes in useful if (when?) you're out somewhere and the Dynastart decides not to charge ...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 12:51:45 AM by DaveMiller »

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 01:34:47 AM »
I fitted mine in the same place that Dave suggests in (1), but at the back of the nearside wing. The front wing channels (the two bits that go out at 45 degrees from the chassis floor to support the wings) that came with my Mk D were completely shot, so as I was also replacing the floor, I replaced the original thin material with 3.2mm thick, 2" x 1 1/8" preformed aluminium channel which has helped support an Exide 063TE 47aH battery mounted on a battery tray for a couple of thousand miles now without any sign of problems. Several cars do seem to have similar sized batteries fitted in this location, but people have mentioned that cars have failed in the past with the weight of the battery in this area causing splits in the alloy nearby. The thicker channel transfers much of the weight back to where it's bolted to the floor of the car, but I wouldn't have used a battery this large with the original channels.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Basket case

• Chatty
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 07:15:02 PM »
Thanks guys. I don't think I'll ever have 4 of us in it, so I think I'll fit a bigger battery in the boot. It always pains me to drill new holes in the car, but I guess needs must!

After that I need to sort out the seat. I have the backrest (Minor Countryman back seat I think), but I need the base. I believe there is a company who can make it for around £120 but I've also heard they don't fit. Any advice?

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 07:47:48 PM »
My C and G

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 08:35:02 PM »
After that I need to sort out the seat. I have the backrest (Minor Countryman back seat I think), but I need the base. I believe there is a company who can make it for around £120 but I've also heard they don't fit. Any advice?

I've heard, within the Bond Owners Club, very good reports of the quality and fit of the remanufactured sprung seat bases (to which you then must add padding and cover).  I wonder whether someone has tried to match such a base with the (rather different) Morris backrest, causing a clash of fit.

Another, simpler method, is to make new covers and use decent foam filling. Plan and measurements have been published in the Club mag.

agada

• Just Starting
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 09:30:04 AM »
it is a good quality of battery i've heard and researched on it every findings says it is a good and long lasting battery. still if you encounter problem with this battery or any other battery then go through this guide.