Author Topic: The sky is falling  (Read 1330 times)

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
The sky is falling
« on: February 18, 2017, 01:38:22 PM »
This time I believe that it is for real, as for the second day in a row when attempting to renew my membership in the largest micro car club in the known universe-  the Vintage Micro Car Club, I have been greeted with the same ominous message:  MICROCAR NEWS
     NEW subscriptions/ members and RENEWALS are no longer available.
                                               The magazine has ceased being published.

With a roster of approximately 750 members, this is as big a crash to the world of micro car enthusiasts as the dispursement of the Bruce Weiner Museum's collection exactly 4 years earlier.

Together with the decline of activity on this site, I feel that I and others in the Microcar world have been set adrift.
Jim, if you are reading this, please know how much your stellar and successful efforts to keep this international community well knit and entertained have been appreciated.
I understand, and agree that your role as a caretaker comes first.
However, Please also be assured that if your station in life ever allows you to resume your leadership role, that there will be appreciably more than the 750 members showing up on your roster that will appreciate it immensely.

If it will at any time in the future be of use, I can commit to providing you with an article's worth of info and pictures for any forthcoming issues, should you decide to re- ignite the flame.

Sincerely Yours,
Steven Mandell
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 01:44:18 PM by steven mandell »

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
Re: The sky is falling
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 08:52:47 PM »
Dear Steve and all other USA readers

Jim gave you all fair warning that  he wanted out and Jim means what he says. Therefore it should be no surprise to you all.

I think it is a great shame that Microcar News is no longer produced, and that Jim is not active in the microcar scene by his choice. But amongst the 750 people who are on the club membership for 2016, there must be more than one or two who are willing and able to take over the reigns of the organisation. Apathy was never a trait that described the American people.

It takes a very special person to do what Jim was doing. A hard act to follow.

Chris Thomas
Rumcar News

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 09:19:01 AM »
This does seem to be an American phenomenon. Over the decades we have had great in depth interest from single, or small groups, of American based enthusiasts, who created a club entity, and magazine. The cold wind eventually blows the enthusiasm away, for what ever reason - life is like that. There is a shocked supported network of subscribers, who have had good service from the incumbent. often the signs that it was time to find new folk are missed, or more normally ignored. Then some small action breaks the camels back, service ends.

I think this has occurred three times already. So far, from the dust, a replacement entity has arisen. However while there might be more general interest, the easy access of the Internet might mean the next incarnation might not be a traditional affair. Only time will tell. But the tragedy is that the flame of one persons interest is allowed to sputter to danger of going out before anyone reacts. I think of our own Tony Marshall, who gave us the beginnings of much of the structure of a hobby in Britain without really realising what he was doing. Ultimately he did not get a lot out of it in permanent payback. This is the lot of many who put themselves forward into position of host to a hobby. If this is truly the end then I just hope that Jim will rekindle some of his undoubted enthusiasm for his own joy in owning, and knowing about, these 'silly little cars'. He has earned it even if he does nothing else publicly.

The danger is that we are drifting away from centres of excellence, towards a scattering of monologues and small groups across a vast sea of information on the Internet. Those that own cars as investments are particularly exposed, as they are very often the ones in need of expert advice. But the lack of commitment by many owners to pool resources, yet advance values, is their very own downfall. This is clearly a case in Microcars and one reason I am turning my back on it for other interests. It is a trend in the longer owning group, I am afraid. There is a need to tackle this wastage of knowledge in a sustainable way.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 07:52:29 PM »
Will this clear things up?  I doubt it.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 10:53:06 PM »
Thanks for sharing that with us. I am mortified to hear that life has decided to plop on you in such a big way, Jim. A test that leaves one with little to say about our cars. But I hope you only put them away for a while, to recover the life spirit needed to rebound from bad times. Just the fact you can share this suggests you can rise above it. Positive thoughts from people you never met, who you helped being there. The welcome back after a restoration, just as an active owner, will be great. There is nothing for you to prove here.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs