Author Topic: '73 Model 70 Invacar renovation - some questions  (Read 6267 times)

Model70

• Occasional
'73 Model 70 Invacar renovation - some questions
« on: February 19, 2017, 12:39:07 PM »
Hi there,

Neal here, and after over 10 years of searching I finally got my hands on a Model 70 last year. Some of you I've already spoken to via email and you've been very helpful, but I thought it was about time I posted on here to.

I've not had the chance to do much to it yet as some other things have prevented me, but thanks to the help of the ICR, I've managed to date it - its a '73 car and made by Invacar, rather than AC. The ICR's assistance has also enabled me to get the original registration back, so I have a V5C, and now even have 1973 correct number plates with raised black plastic letters.

It's a handlebar steering version, and condition wise its very good (considering). With 13k miles showing, it even runs and drives! It's mostly complete, although some minor elements need sorting. My plan is to renovate it rather than restore it as I want to retain the character, but also get its as authentic as possible. Hoping to have it back on the road (as a trike) by June.

Here's where I need some assistance to help me get it as authentic as possible.

I know the later cars used 10" Mini wheels and standard Mini chrome caps on silver wheels. My car is a relatively early one, and my digging about for period photos suggests it had black wheels with a different style hub cap (see photos below).

My car was used as a kids runabout on a farm for a few years. The NS rear wheel has been replaced with a 12" mini one, but the OS one is still the original one with a cross ply fitted. It is black and seems to have three raised mounting lugs (see photo).

Some questions I hope the knowledgeable folks on here can help with:

1. I believe my front wheel is still original. I assume I can I simply take it off and put it on the NS rear so both match? I have a spare 10" standard Mini wheel - as you cant really see it, can I use this on the front instead?

2. If I'm not able to use a Mini wheel on the front, does anyone have a spare early Model 70 wheel of this style they'd be happy to part with?

3. Even better still, does anyone out there have a pair of the original earlier style hub caps? In many period photos the early cars are just running on black wheels, so I assume these caps had a tendency of falling off and were never replaced. I may look into getting them made, but would prefer a pair of originals if possible.

4.Does anyone have a good usable pair of the earlier style Model 70 rear lights at all? Mine has had the later update with the slightly chunkier rear lights. While I have NOS lenses for these lights, I now think the earlier lights would make it more true to its original look.

I'm sure I'll have many more questions once I start the renovation work, so any help very much gratefully received!

Cheers, Neal

1973 Model 70 built by Invacar

Barry

• Prolific Poster
Re: '73 Model 70 Invacar renovation - some questions
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 01:42:10 PM »
Welcome Model70 - Neal
I have some Model 70 spares.
I have some hub caps and will see what wheels they fit.

I would recommend either three Mini 10"  wheels or three 12" black wheels and not a mixture.
If you are trying to keep it authentic then the early big wheels should be fitted.
I have two chassis one with big wheels and one with small.
One is Invacar and one is AC Electric

As for back lights, I have been told that many early cars were converted to the bigger Mini Estate back lights as and when they needed new lenses.
I think I have seen the old long lenses on Reliant Regals.

If I can help, I will.  Where are you?

Barry

Model70

• Occasional
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 04:00:29 PM »
Thanks Barry. You have a PM.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 04:10:38 PM »
I have a spare 12 inch IC wheel. I might well have the wheel trims too. I also have the early rear light units complete.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 01:01:47 PM »
Neal
Part reply on here to share the information - someone may be able to help.

Photo shows the hub-cap and trim on my 10" wheeled car.  These may not be standard.
The 12" wheels have a 125 R (or SR) x 12 tyre - hub cap is too small and is actually shown inside the three location posts.
The spare hubcaps that I have are aluminium and fit 10" wheels not 12".

I have not managed to find an archive photo of any 12" cars with hub-caps.  Perhaps they never had them?
Possible that Austin A35 etc. may fit (or were they 13")

Barry

Model70

• Occasional
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 02:19:12 PM »
Many thanks for looking Barry. That's a shame.

I've seen the 12" wheel one's I'm after fitted on early Model 70s, as well as Mk12 Invacars and even a Tippen Delta. Photos below.

Cheers,
Neal

Model70

• Occasional
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 02:39:34 PM »
Tippen

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 04:01:06 PM »
Welcome Model70.  It just so happens that I am following up the very same subject but for a different reason.  Both my Model 70s are fitted with 10" mini wheels, however my recently acquired Astra van has the very same 12" wheels as the early Model 70 and many of the 50s & 60s invalid vehicles.  Have confirmed this with the ICR founder, Lord Cyphus as I am in need of 4 new shiny hubcaps.  Am 99% that I will be able to source these from the original manufacturer in Birmingham.

Model70

• Occasional
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 07:46:33 PM »
How weird! Let me know how you get on. Cheers, Neal

Model70

• Occasional
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 03:27:17 PM »
Ta dah!

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 07:43:41 PM »
That's the ones, well done. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 07:45:27 PM by scootacar »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 11:30:14 AM »

Three of the basic types of rear light. I have not polished them up, but these, and others, are all available as pairs in good condition.

Left is the better quality PMG 7231 unit. Note is a slightly different shape.

Middle is the CEP unit, two part lens , bonded reflector, probably more common.

Right is the pattern of the CEP.

its not obvious that the centre lens mounts on towers, the right hand has stepped lenses instead, so the parts do not immediately interchange. This for both CEP and pattern units. Also the pattern of the reflector prisms can change, as can that of the lens reflector prisms. Then some have a numberplate light window on the rear light lens. These probably are not IC, but have got used as replacements after the fact. I think that means there is a potential 10 differing versions, of which you really need two identical versions, for a good showing. Not quite as straight forward as the garden goblins out there might suggest to you, for rarely is anything as simple as it looks!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 12:06:51 PM »
The AC badge not appropriate to your Invacar, but probably the easier badge to get, though its fundamentally the same as a Cobra badge minus the enamel. Thus it gets collected by badge baggers.