Author Topic: Brakes  (Read 2602 times)

zef

• Just Starting
Brakes
« on: April 23, 2017, 04:40:27 PM »
Hi,

I have a problem I hope you can help with. A customer of mine has brought me an Empolini 50cc 3 wheeler. From MANY Internet searches I've found out it shares some parts from the Piaggio ones. Now the problem I have is he wants it MOT'd and the rear wheel cylinders are shot, the sidewall of the cylinders looks too thin to get them machined and lined. The idea I've come up with is to replace the cylinders with ones of the same physical size. So has anyone got the dimensions (bore and overall length) of Piaggio Ape wheel cylinders? The cylinders I've seen online look very similar with just the retaining studs in a slightly different position.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Jon

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
Re: Brakes
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 08:15:34 PM »
Hi Jon

I don't have any more info myself unfortunately, and all the on-line stuff just seems to give you a picture. I'd try giving one of the suppliers a bell or you could use Google translate and try posting to one of the Italian Ape forums e.g http://www.mondoape.com/tecnica.htm
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 11:44:43 AM »
Zef, May I suggest you get your customer to put his car on the Register of Unusual Microcars by making contact with alastair.rumcars@btinternet.com Once his vehicle  is on our Register,  he can ask Alastair to put any other owners of, either Empolini's or Piagio's, of which there are a number among the now some  1,500 vehicles registered,  who may be able to advise him, and you, how to overcome any  problems.   

That is one of the many advantages of Registering any microcar, especially those that have no one-make Club in this country, you can then be put in touch  the owners of similar vechicles and share your experiences.  This data base, even though it is now international, is run very strictly adherring to all the rules of confidentiality of the Data  Protection Act and none of your information will ever be disclosed to a third party without your consent. We pride ourselves  in helping all enthusiasts to enjoy their hobby as much as we have done in the past.  This is the reason we are applying for Charitable status for our Archive  of Microcars which will not only include the vehicle data base but give access to the wealth original paper information we hold in the form of factory records, sales brochures , contempory magazine articles from the 1950/60's , and precious correspondence from  designers and manufacturers long since deceased.  Any owner of a car which is on the Register will automaticaly have access to these records in the future as they become digitised. Watch this Forum for details  as we make progress with our ARCHIVE PROJECT.  Jean, Founder of the Register of Unusual Microcars in 1980.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 12:20:29 PM by Jean »
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 03:47:20 PM »
Let us know how you get on. You never know there might be someone else searching for the same info in a years time!
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

zef

• Just Starting
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 10:20:39 PM »
Amazing how customers change their minds. He's not thinking of selling the Empolini as it's not big enough for his needs.

Anyway I've got the brakes sorted. A company called Past Parts Ltd http://www.pastparts.co.uk/ reconditioned the wheel cylinders. Basically they bore and then sleeve them with a stainless sleeve and replace the seals. Not cheap at £35+vat each but beggars can't be choosers. So what with relining the shoes and reconditioning the cylinders the rear brakes stand him at £170!!!

Thanks for the help and I'll be sure to pass this forum info on to him.