Author Topic: Southwest Unique Little Car Show  (Read 2175 times)

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
Southwest Unique Little Car Show
« on: April 21, 2017, 12:14:38 PM »
I was lucky enough to have this major meet occur less than 10 miles from where I live in Southern California a couple of weeks ago.
There were 83 registered entrants. To my eye about half of them were Nash Metropolitans, Crosleys, or Mini Cooper's, in that order of commonality.
So about half were mini, leaving the rest as true micros.

Subaru Vans were well represented, and of course a few Isettas and Fiats, but surprisingly, not a single Messerschmitt, even though the organizer had a black one in his driveway for a spaghetti dinner get together the night before.

Due to the lapse in publication of the Vintage Microcar News, I was unaware of the event until the day before.
My intention was to get 4 of my Sans Permis cars on my trailer sideways.
However when I realized that there were no good handholds for the rear of the Snuggy that could be trusted not to be damaged by the vehicle's own weight, I disappointed myself by settling for three entrants.
Should not have worried though, as no one else brought more than one.
However the quality of the average entrant was surprisingly high.

Can you guess which one won one of the ten Best of show awards shown?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 12:26:34 PM by steven mandell »

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
Re: Southwest Unique Little Car Show
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 04:37:37 PM »
Thanks Steve, looks like an interesting mix of very smart vehicles, whats the orange one? Did your Snuggy win?
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
Re: Southwest Unique Little Car Show
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 07:06:19 PM »
It was the 1970 Fiat 500 L Scoiattalo / "Squirrel".   One of the few other cars I took pictures of as it was the only car there that I had never heard of or seen before.

Snuggy has a bench seat, so might be considered a 1 and a half seater.
MiniComtesse has but a small suspended fabric bucket, so is more "Useless at the Drive - in" ( theater).
That makes two awards for the Minicomtesse, as it won the highest possible award at the 2014 Concours De Lemons in Monterrey California.   Out of 125 inter continental entrants, it won the most highly esteemed "Worst of Show" there.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 11:47:22 AM by steven mandell »