Author Topic: Red white and blues  (Read 2668 times)

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
Red white and blues
« on: April 28, 2017, 11:16:26 AM »
I attended the Queen's English Car Show in Burbank CA last weekend.
At least a couple of hundred English sports cars gleaming in the sunshine made for a very pleasant outing.
I brought my blue and white Nobel 200 there in 2010.  This time I brought the red and white.
Only a few recognized it or knew that it was an English car - not even the organizers.
But everyone seemed delighted to see the lightest, smallest displacement and arguably cutest car there, even if it was the slowest.
A red and red Reliant Robin was closest to being another micro there, but it's engine size was a bit over the 700 cc limit.
Other favorites there included a Lotus 23 B, and a very early stationary window Europa like my first love before I even knew that microcars existed.
The dark blue Griffith has the potent Ford V8, but despite it's impressive appearance has terrible handling, as it suffers from approximately 1/4" of toe in per inch of jounce.
Anybody care to say what the light blue car in the picture is, or does that have to post in the off topic lounge?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 05:42:51 PM by steven mandell »

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
Re: Red white and blue
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 01:00:59 PM »
It is either a Peerless or a Warwick

Chris T

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
Re: Red white and blues
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 06:00:10 PM »
Great to see the Nobel out in the sunshine.! I'd plump for Warwick on the light blue car without having a closer look
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 06:09:03 PM »
Congratulations, Chris you are quite correct. I don't know if there is any outwardly obvious difference between the differently named production runs.
Now we can see what preceeded the Gordon Keeble.
Al must be snoozing.
I was going to award you the allotted prize until I noticed that you already have a peeled banana.
Thanks for checking in to you and Malcolm.
Hate to say it, but it seems that only the stress of an upcoming show seems to be effective at getting me to put any of my cars in some semblance of order.

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 08:54:42 PM »
It's a Warwick GT, much rarer than the Peerless.  The forward opening bonnet identifies it as a Warwick.  Also there is a slight difference to the roof line or gutter.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 11:44:53 AM »
Happy to be educated about these cars that I never heard of or saw on my side of the pond till last weekend.
Shame that they didn't go to a more exotic/ higher output engine to match it's Gran Turismo styling.
The American aluminum V8 that eventually made its way into Rovers, Tr8's and even a few MGs could have sufficed without penalty of wieght.
Also a shame that they didn't take more advantage of the opportunity presented when they converted to a flip up front end, to improve it's cosmetically challenged fat lower lip that backed up the front licence plate along with its side lying moustached bumpers.
Otherwise a wonderfully high classed design of it's era.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 11:49:35 AM by steven mandell »