Author Topic: Raleigh Folding Caravan ( or Nutshell ? )  (Read 28915 times)

Caiptean

Re: Raleigh Folding Caravan ( or Nutshell ? )
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2016, 12:37:03 PM »
Richard,

Just after purchasing the Nutshell I also bought a Raleigh hence understanding all the differences. In the end I decided to restore (with my father's assistance - he was trained as a cabinet-maker) the Nutshell and sell on the Raleigh - I cannot remember who to.

I've used the Nutshell on some very cold nights (it is very cosy) and took it to some distant events as well as simply using it to go on holiday.

They tow exceedingly well (the wheels are set quite far back) and are surprisingly practical. All the seat cushion, bedding and most of the camping equipment will fit inside.

What did the Raleigh fetch on ebay and what condition was it in?

Kind regards,

Colin

Caiptean

Re: Raleigh Folding Caravan ( or Nutshell ? )
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2016, 12:50:05 PM »
Richard,

Further to my message I've just located the ebay advert under Nutshell.

(http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-classic-caravan-Nutshell-Collapsable-VERY-VERY-RARE-/172163011532?hash=item2815b713cc%3Ag%3AoPQAAOSw8RJXCkI7&nma=true&si=cAT4uicU4YggnegYepSkCvoba1Y%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557)

It is most certainly a Raleigh (placing it from the 60s) although for something that is fully restored it looks to be exceedingly cheap and rather a bargain.

In terms of practical use the Raleigh should be little different to the earlier Nutshell.

Kind regards,

Colin