• Prolific Poster
eBay
« on: October 24, 2017, 10:36:46 AM »

st185cs

• Mark
  • Occasional
Re: eBay
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 09:37:48 PM »
Thanks Barry. I went, I looked and........look what I found!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/546tvj6avt6sv1i/Photo%2029-10-2017%2C%2012%2057%2051.jpg?dl=0

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 06:05:01 AM »
I'm not falling for it, but what on Earth is going on here?

st185cs

• Mark
  • Occasional
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 06:24:46 AM »
Steven - Barry's link was to an eBay listing (since removed) for a Model/s 70 up for sale.  I went to see what was on offer and made a purchase or several.

Whilst viewing the prospective purchases I came across a very unusual sight - the remains of a Model 70 atop a large and redundant item of farm machinery.  The Dropbox link in my post above is to said image. It is not photoshopped and the link shouldn't put anyone's device at risk of any infection, save possibly some sadness, shock and maybe a little amusement.

I also failed to adequately thank Barry previously so wanted to here.

Best
Mark

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 08:57:45 AM »
Looks like we are having a Model 70 (40 :) ) come back.

Always happy to help Mark, Thank you - What a find.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 02:58:26 PM »

Congratulations!
I believed the picture to be real, but obviously not the car advertised.
How many did you get?
Anyone know exactly what the redundant piece of farm machinery's
exact function was?
It could be a fitting mounting for the AC as outdoor art work if the car is not much more than an unlikely to be restored shell.

st185cs

• Mark
  • Occasional
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 09:33:49 PM »
Thank you, Steve.  Ten in total of which two are without a roof and all but 2-3 have pretty major body damage. A fuller assessment is yet to be done to see how bad they really are, and in all other departments.

Two-to-three others had been sold prior to my viewing and I'm hopeful we will hear from their new owner on here soon.

The eBay listing was effectively for all 13-14 cars for a £1k price tag - so a bit of a bargain was to be had (that's what I'm telling my better half!).

Best
Mark

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 09:33:53 AM »
Wow, that was a good deal.
Glad that it happened to you instead of me.
I would  be saddled with the non fixers forever, and have the City throwing  me in jail after levying heavy fines.
Hope you are in a better situation.
Don't let your better half read this post.
Good luck, and please don't use me as a reference model.
What are your plans?

HubNut

• Chatty
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 02:52:16 PM »
I shall now reveal myself as the buyer of two of them.

The one nearest my head is a 1972 Invacar on a K-plate, and is very sound in terms of bodywork. I'm thrilled to bits! The other is an AC (I think, no badge) on an M-plate, and will likely serve as a parts car. The body is very poor.

Next stage is to whisk them over to where I am in Wales. Can't wait to get started! My winter project.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 03:15:08 PM »
You should be a very happy chap.

The bodies could be in great demand so don't think that it is poor condition.  It may be of use to someone.

Until recently I had three very good rolling chassis (and a good complete car)  but no bodies to go on them.   I wish that I had kept them now.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 03:18:31 PM by Barry »

HubNut

• Chatty
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 07:13:24 PM »
Ah, that's a shame. However, this stash could be very useful I guess? I certainly won't throw anything away. If I can save two, I'll be happy to. The oldest one will be the focus.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 10:43:09 AM »
So now they are all accounted for?
Congratulations Hub Nut!
I agree with Barry in that no matter how tattered a fiberglass body be, an enterprising amatuer with just a bit of conviction and time can handle fixing it.
When I was but a youth I rescued a couple of Lotus Europas.  One had the most complexly contoured corner of the car missing.  I was lucky enough to find a mentor who showed me how to make a fiberglass mold of the same section of his car, which I then carefully positioned over the missing section of mine.
After tapering the edges of the very large aperture, layers of alternating weave glass we're applied and saturated with resin.  Lots of hours of sanding and finishing to get it just right, but thoroughly sound, and cosmetically correct when done.  And if you mess up, you can always cut it out and start over.

I used the same mold a couple of years later when I got a JPS Europa Special.
But this one also needed and got a whole new front section from mid wheel wells forward.

Don't want to sound grim, but where have all the invalid bodies gone?
We're the body less chassis the result of aborted efforts to destroy the whole vehicles?
Considering the over supply of chassis, I hereby revoke my statement about leaving the "convertible" body in the field atop the large orange harvester as art work.  Though I have to admit that I have certain Nobel that I would be tempted to offer in it's place!

Barry, I like your trailer's tail lights.  I think that they are way too big for my Tiehol Citadiene.
But please do  me the favor of measuring them, as I like the look of them turned 90 degrees.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 10:59:59 AM by steven mandell »

HubNut

• Chatty
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2017, 10:25:01 AM »
I've created a video of my findings. Cannot wait to get mine home and get cracking.
https://youtu.be/mRUaHuF7Fm4

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2017, 05:49:19 PM »
Thanks for that HubNut

I can see that you have got the bug.  Hope you are not married?  You won't be for long :)

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2017, 05:51:14 PM »
So now they are all accounted for?
Congratulations Hub Nut!
I agree with Barry in that no matter how tattered a fiberglass body be, an enterprising amatuer with just a bit of conviction and time can handle fixing it.
When I was but a youth I rescued a couple of Lotus Europas.  One had the most complexly contoured corner of the car missing.  I was lucky enough to find a mentor who showed me how to make a fiberglass mold of the same section of his car, which I then carefully positioned over the missing section of mine.
After tapering the edges of the very large aperture, layers of alternating weave glass we're applied and saturated with resin.  Lots of hours of sanding and finishing to get it just right, but thoroughly sound, and cosmetically correct when done.  And if you mess up, you can always cut it out and start over.

I used the same mold a couple of years later when I got a JPS Europa Special.
But this one also needed and got a whole new front section from mid wheel wells forward.

Don't want to sound grim, but where have all the invalid bodies gone?
We're the body less chassis the result of aborted efforts to destroy the whole vehicles?
Considering the over supply of chassis, I hereby revoke my statement about leaving the "convertible" body in the field atop the large orange harvester as art work.  Though I have to admit that I have certain Nobel that I would be tempted to offer in it's place!

Barry, I like your trailer's tail lights.  I think that they are way too big for my Tiehol Citadiene.
But please do  me the favor of measuring them, as I like the look of them turned 90 degrees.
    Not my trailer Steven, just one that Mark hired I think.