Author Topic: Very early Model 70 restoration  (Read 23511 times)

HubNut

• Chatty
Very early Model 70 restoration
« on: November 05, 2017, 05:40:55 PM »
I haven't managed to get it back home yet, but I do now own a very early Model 70.

I also own the M-reg one in the background, so I guess that's right on the 10"/12" wheel changeover?

Anyway, here's an interior shot of the K-plater, which is an Invacar.

Cannot wait to get started, but we've got the logistical challenge of getting them back to Wales to overcome first. Plans are being worked on. Thought I'd get this thread started though, as I'm bound to be asking a lot of questions!

As a bit of background, I've owned Citroen 2CVs since I was 18 (21 years ago...) and have always had a thing for small, unusual cars. I've attended a couple of NMCRs - one at Huntingdon in Cambs, where I got to drive a BMW Isetta and a Scootacar, and one at Malvern, where I just admired the mix of cars. I was always fascinated by the Invacars when I was a child, yet it wasn't until very recently that I discovered the mechanical spec of the Model 70 - an aircooled flat twin!

Anyway, plan is to carry out a gentle restoration on the early car, and if I haven't robbed too many bits from it, look to restore the second one as well.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 05:44:21 PM by HubNut »

st185cs

• Mark
  • Occasional
Re: Very early Model 70 restoration
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 08:40:57 PM »
Really looking forward to following how your restoration progresses, Ian.  It got me thinking that I really ought to post my restoration too but fear I'd not be able to keep up with a pro journalist/restoration past master (!).

I was at the farm today and took away one of the ACs :-) The seller wasn't best pleased with me to start with and he accused me of of being a dealer which made me laugh (but he didn't think it was so funny!) as it couldn't be further from the truth... I've never sold a single model 70 related item.

I was also hoping to get to look at the condition of your chassis today but ran out of time - unfortunately mine appear to have floors that are rotten straight through so hope yours are better than mine. Oh well, at least I have a couple of Barry's good chassis to build up with a jigsaw puzzle of decent body parts from the farm and might hopefully also have a few spares to help other owners out as and when.

I hope the removals plan back to Wales comes together for you but do shout if not - you never know there might be a way 'round it if all else fails.

What do you know about the flat twin - I'd imagine good power to weight ratio, especially if you get one of the illusive 600cc engines!

« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 08:43:22 PM by st185cs »

HubNut

• Chatty
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 11:22:48 AM »
Thanks. I know very little about the Steyr-Puch units. They're quite different to the Citroen ones, as they seem to have a distributor for a start. They should be well balanced though, and a lot smoother than the straight-twin fitted to Fiat 500s.

HubNut

• Chatty
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 02:09:57 PM »
Right. When it comes to registering these, am I likely to hit any problems? I'm planning to get the V62 in for the older one ASAP.

I'm collecting both of mine next Tuesday.

HubNut

• Chatty
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 04:51:52 PM »
V62 sent off. The Invacars are now home too!

Here's the early one in the truck.

I stopped for a brew on the way home. Here's the spares car. The body is very poor, pretty much everywhere. Both cars have 12" wheels.

Not actually sure how they're coming out of the truck yet. We'll worry about that minor detail tomorrow...

HubNut

• Chatty
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 01:44:59 PM »

st185cs

• Mark
  • Occasional
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 02:38:04 PM »
Well done Ian!  Great video and no probs with the wheel. Let me have it back one day. Although 10", the rolling circumference should be the same. You have quite a following there and as for sponsorship - brilliant!  Can't get me any can you and we'll have a race!

HubNut

• Chatty
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 01:10:15 PM »
Thanks.

I've sent off for a V5, but oddly, the chassis number on the chassis itself (starting H) does not match the chassis number on the plaque inside the car.

In other news, the Ebay key arrived, and has allowed me to get into the engine bay. I couldn't turn the crank pulley by hand, but I removed the plugs, squeezed some oil into the bores and gently turned it with a handle. I can't quite get a full turn, but it is free up to a point. I wonder if a valve is stuck? Might need to get the rocker covers off. The engine in the spares car turns very easily by hand, so that's good to know.

I have found the fire extinguisher and oil pouring jug inside the car, which is nice. I've now cleaned the broken glass out of it as well and I think it'll clean up nicely. Any tips on seat removal? I'd like to remove the rear cover so I can inspect the belt drive. The seat belt buckle is currently blocking the seat from sliding too far to the left.

st185cs

• Mark
  • Occasional
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 03:42:32 PM »
Try removing two of the four bolts connecting the back of the seat to the seat base cushion (the two corner ones, and loosen the other two). That should allow the back of the seat to tilt forward enough to remove the passenger compartment engine cover.

With the  seatbelt receiver, it should hinge down sufficiently to clear the seat's sideways travel but I found the seat base/its rear rollers removal from the car to be a pita.....  there must be an easier way - possibly by dismantling the seat base posts first.  I wouldn't do this again unless there was a need to take the floor up or do some other major repair/nut and bolt rebuild.....

HubNut

• Chatty
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 09:17:07 AM »
Thanks. I'll give that a go. In the meantime, new tyres have arrived, but I had a bit of an accident trying to get the wheels off...

I've a lot to learn about weight distribution as even when trying to jack as far back as I could, it ended up tipping off my stands. Thankfully, only a very slight bit of damage to the bodywork on the offside, but I'll be more careful fitting the wheels...

Incidentally, turns out this one was also wearing a mix of 12" and 10" wheels, so I'll have to rob a 12" from the spares car.

HubNut

• Chatty
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 03:55:55 PM »
TWC is now on new tyres, at the rear. The front holds air, so that'll do for now. Some way from getting her on the road. Now need to free off one of the rear wheels so she'll roll. Maybe I can even get her indoors.

Quick question - will an AC rear window fit the Invacar shell?

Michael

• Chatty
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 10:16:40 AM »
Your videos sprung up on my YouTube account, so saw the first at the farm and second transporting home.
Hopefully to see some more as time goes on.
I remember these from my child years and recall seeing a batch parked up, I was told it was a garage for repairs.
I seen the earlier metal AC metal bodied at the Hamond collection.
Locost self build car.
3 Mk1 Raleigh Choppers, 2 Mk2 Raleigh Choppers
Mk2 Raleigh Chopper Tandem
Sinclair C5 Restored
Austin J40 Pedal Car to restore
Peel Trident Replica to build

HubNut

• Chatty
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 05:53:21 PM »
Thanks. More videos to come! The major news today is that my wife and I managed to drag TWC into my garage, so my aircooled, flat-twin pair are together!

The offside rear wheel was seized, so we skidded it along some damp planks. Worked a treat!

Then jacked it up and removed (eventually!) the offside rear drum, but even with it off, that hub wasn't keen to turn. Jacked up the otherside, and then it was better, though still fairly stiff both sides. I'm wondering if it is actually in neutral? It has the gear selector down the right-side of the seat, but it doesn't seem to move very far. It's pointing up, which is where I assume neutral should be?

st185cs

• Mark
  • Occasional
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2017, 10:43:39 PM »
Your wife is very understanding, Ian!  Shouldn’t you be doing up the second car for her? 

Your understanding of the gear lever is mine too although it isn’t always precisely vertical for neutral in my experience but in the natural notch between forward and reverse.  Even in gear through I have been able to rotate the rear wheels.  If you do end up removing the drive belt as part of a process of elimination then don’t be too worried about saving it - I have a massive stock of such things and happy to assist if needed.

I don’t know what else to suggest - could it be the semi-seized engine you mentioned?  the drum type clutch locked up?  I’m assuming you have backed off the handbrake adjuster and it’s running free?

HubNut

• Chatty
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 09:39:45 AM »
Progress!

I'm really busy with work at the moment, but got some time yesterday evening to tinker. First up, I sprayed more penetrating oil into the bores, then tried cranking it again. Back and forth, back and forth and then, yes, it turned! So now the engine turns all the way.

Then I connected up a battery and slowly but surely, the electrics crept into life. It was a bit odd, as at first, nothing worked at all, but then the headlamps came on, then one rear sidelight, then the wiper was working, then another rear sidelight and the fronts! Indicators don't work yet, but that's trivial at this stage.

I then, with the plugs out, bravely tried the Dynastart. It clicked, but no action. So, off with the top engine cover, gave the Dynastart a few 'love taps' with a hammer, and bingo! It is now turning the engine. That was at just after 10pm last night, so for the sake of the neighbours, I downed tools. Hoping to get a chance to try and get her running today!

Not sure what to do with the spares car yet. One thing at a time!